Most "Natural/Healthy" snuff.

They are being made in quite different way than other snuffs. You can check it out on the net, just google it. For what I remember - brasil tobacco fermentate with fruits for a few months, then dried, minced, screened and humidified with parafine. Bernard claims that their schmalzlers are “almost completely handmade”.

So in your opinion the most healthy and natural snuff is one that is fermented with rotting fruit and coated in paraffin wax? I would be willing to bet something like Toque Natural or Natural Toast would be fairly unadulterated as Roderick does not use alkaline agents (sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate) in his snuffs.

I beg to differ, - See more at: http://snuffhouse.org/discussion/comment/258184/#Comment\_258184

They are being made in quite different way than other snuffs. You can check it out on the net, just google it. For what I remember - brasil tobacco fermentate with fruits for a few months, then dried, minced, screened and humidified with parafine. Bernard claims that their schmalzlers are “almost completely handmade”.

So in your opinion the most healthy and natural snuff is one that is fermented with rotting fruit and coated in paraffin wax? I would be willing to bet something like Toque Natural or Natural Toast would be fairly unadulterated as Roderick does not use alkaline agents (sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate) in his snuffs.

I beg to differ, - See more at: http://snuffhouse.org/discussion/comment/258184/#Comment\_258184

I had seen that post, but could not find it to respond. Thank you. I consider salts natural though.

I don’t understand what you mean @noworry… Are you saying that because his tobacco isn’t “organic” that I am wrong? Even if that is the case, I have yet to hear of a snuff manufacturer that uses organic tobacco. That being equal, Toque would still be about as close to being “natural” as you can get. You must have missed this quote from Roderick further down that thread: “I’d be interested to hear how you get on with Toque. As you probably are aware our snuff is 100% natural with 100% natural flavours and no additives. How we raise and lower nicotine levels are by removing stalk and stem from the grind. The lower the stems the higher the nicotine level.” - See more at: http://snuffhouse.org/discussion/comment/258184/#Comment\_258184 Edit: I now see where Roderick says he considers salt and baking soda “natural ingredients.” I never saw that post in the past and was always under the impression, from the above quote, that the stem content was the variable he changed to control nicotine delivery. Thanks for clearing that up.

So in your opinion the most healthy and natural snuff is one that is fermented with rotting fruit and coated in paraffin wax?

I must have mistaken something, so I’m very sorry. This is from Bernard’s site: “The Schmalzler is a mix of Brasil tobacco and special tobacco made of the so-called mangotes. Mangotes are tobacco leaves weaved into thick ropes in Brasil. They come freshly from the field, get weaved and pressed with special sauces. In the end they are sewed into fresh bull skin. These packages weigh up to 80 kilos. Now they are imported to Germany, where they age in a long process. Whenever they are needed, the skins are cut up, the ropes cut into pieces and mixed with the fermented Brasil tobacco. The Schmalzler is factored double tracked. One half is chunky, the other one is coarse grit. Both halves get double-fermented with different sauces separately. The sauces are made of fruit and sugar beet syrup. After the mix with the sauces, there comes a double natural fermentation in huge wooden barrels. This high-quality fermentation is only possible if the time is controlled well, because the tobacco gets very warm almost hot. Barrels that keep 6000 kilos are the guarantee for an optimal mixture of the not finished Schmalzler.” Also, making a schmalzler in such a way has about 300 years history.

^^^^ Found a picture of these mangotes. Looks quite nasty with that ‘fresh’ animal skin around it.

^^ That is the nature.

im sorry, is the bull skin really necessary… eurgh. well, schmalzler is definitely not my thing… ive refrained from taking cheese and bacon till i discover its ingredients. im sure i asked before, just had no reply.

kanna

@Firestarter0 I don’t believe there is any actual cheese or bacon in the snuff. I think it was just kept in the proximity of it to absorb the scents, but I can’t speak for Roderick of course. Be warned though, if you do decide to try it, its really rank, and only someone who really enjoys rank cheese would enjoy it.

@Firestarter0 If your gag reflex is easily activated you should be careful with the cheese and bacon…just sayin’

i have smelled it, and it smells fine. its not my gag reflex, i can handle disgusting, believe me. i can out-gross any of my friends (students…). its the technically unnecessary use of ‘fresh bull skin’ that clashes with me being vegetarian.

Cheese and Bacon is one of my favorite snuffs. Roderick uses real blue cheese and bacon to scent the snuff, and it’s wonderful… That said, even if cheese and bacon isn’t your thing, Toques are low in TSNAs and are relatively low risk, as are all snuffs :slight_smile:

Cheese and Bacon is one of my favorite snuffs. Roderick uses real blue cheese and bacon to scent the snuff, and it’s wonderful… That said, even if cheese and bacon isn’t your thing, Toques are low in TSNAs and are relatively low risk, as are all snuffs :slight_smile:

well ill be steering well clear of using the c&b i had acquired then. shame really, smells ok. im just not going to knowingly consume a meat product. its one of those that has a hazy line for some i reckon, as it may not contain any actual traces, but if the line is hazy, ill avoid it.

If we were meant to be vegetarians we would be able to digest cellulose.

1 Like

we are omnivores and if your diet works for you awesome. This is not the place to discuss the rights and wrongs of a persons diet (now an off topic what’s your diet thread would how ever be a good place for that). Especially when the person is talking about their diet in a way that isn’t disrespectful to any other persons diet and when it’s highly relevant to the discussion on hand. Just saying that because I see the danger of this spiraling into a place it doesn’t need to go. And also pointing out that if we want to discuss such things off topic is a great place to do it.

1 Like

Sorry but I’ve had far too many vegetarians try to guilt trip me about eating meat that I guess its made me kinda bitter against them, no offense intended.

do what you wish, i just wish it was better advertised as to the content and production of things. i dont see the need to guilt trip, put down someone else’s choice or the like.

I think the thing to keep in mind with C&B is that it is scented with natural flavors and not with artificial lab-created cheese and bacon scents. I have never detected actual pieces of cheese or bacon in my tins and can imagine that adding those ingredients directly would require refrigeration and an expiration date on the can as well as add a risk of foodborne illness.

always try to remember that every group has jerks. Don’t let the jerks ruin whole groups for you. :slight_smile: Well not Snuffhouse but we are very special.

As far as TSNA’s go, not all snuffs are low risk. I believe there are some resources on the higher levels of TSNA’s in American dry snuffs such as Dental Sweet which if I remember correctly has a whopping 40ppm compared to Toque snuff and snus which is in the single digits. rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.com/2012/10/more-evidence-that-smokeless-tobacco.html