F&T Patchouli - something wrong?

Just opened a recently arrived 50 gm can of Patchouli (usually I try a smaller container, but at the time this is all MrSnuff had. Upon opening there was only a strong smell of ammonia and upon snuffing there was no floral only soap. This was my first tie with this snuff and I am wondering about others experience.

i fint f&t princes special a bit soapy too. i like others from their range though.

Patchouli is an oil distilled from the leaves of the plant, so, not floral. My tin smells like my old girlfriend back in the 60’s.

1 Like

The ammonia is there because it is fresh. Leave it open for maybe an hour stirring it every so often then try it. You could also take a couple grams out at a time and only air out smaller amounts.

thanks all, will try but it really does stink.

You need to air the snuff, the scent of ammonia means the snuff is absolutely fresh, it’s not a bad thing. It may take a few hours , I recommend @distaind’s suggestion. It will be fine.

Mine is just like the the oil, I don’t really get anything besides that and tobacco.

patchouli is woody earty scent like old books or fabric.

You are lucky when your snuff is fresh. Only air out what you can use up in a couple days.

Thanks for the advice. After airing the smell of ammonia disappeared but the scent in my nose is that of a industrial grade cleaner. Had experienced friends try it and they found it foul. Into the garbage it goes. Based on what you wrote this was just a bad batch.

Patchouli is the only F&T i dont like. A cross between sump oil and ground up ants. But i dont bin anything. I paid for it so i will bloody well use it. Often times i dont mind it by the end. This has worked with the 8 tubs of 6 photo i got in pot luck (thought it was awful at first). I dont love it now, but its ok, which is good as i still have 7 1/2 to go.

@asieg33 don’t throw it out. If you don’t like it after a while put it on the b/s/t/ thread at least.

Patchouli is the only F&T i dont like. A cross between sump oil and ground up ants. But i dont bin anything. I paid for it so i will bloody well use it. Often times i dont mind it by the end. This has worked with the 8 tubs of 6 photo i got in pot luck (thought it was awful at first). I dont love it now, but its ok, which is good as i still have 7 1/2 to go.

so basically what you’re saying is that the label is accurate?

It’s taken me a few weeks to get used to my tin of F&T Old Paris. I was expecting to need to air it for a while, but it’s only now that the true scent is coming out, and I like it. Persevere with it.

After weeks of drying it was flushed. I think this tin was just bad. Alligators and snakes fled the sewer system with running nostrils.

1 Like

Patchouli is the only F&T i dont like.

You’re not alone. The irony is, this was about the last sort ever to be created in the cellar of 34 Haymarket - apparently in honour of the 1960s ladies of whom it reminds some gentlemen users. I still like the aroma on a certain kind of woman - but this one really doesn’t work for me as a snuff. OTOH I love F&T Bureau, one of their oldest sorts, reintroduced by Wilsons at the same time as Patchouli.

Honestly one of the 5 or so I DO like. Can’t do Bordeaux or Macouba(sp?) at all, not to say that I won’t like Molen’s Macouba, though…

I like it quite well, but only about three times a year. It sure does bring me back to the days of psychedelia!

I heard most F&T snuffs should be diluted with a plain snuff [except HDT] That one is perfect on it’s own !

I believe @basement_shaman is is right. I always dilute my f&t (except santo domingo) by at least 4:1 with a plain snuff like quit or viking dark/brown/thor’s.