scent recipes

mastic gum is sold almost everywhere here. I will try. I want to ask you a question about the safety of the scents. You know they are synthetic and diluted to safety limits (4%-12%). Do you think they are safe to use whole day?

This discussion has got me interested in mastic as well. I read everything they have on it in wikipedia. Who knew its where “masticate” came from? I wish I knew about it when I was in Izmir years ago, I would have tried to visit the place the article mentions. Now i’m quite curious, but maybe my local co-op carries it. They were able to get me tonka beans and most other odd things I thiink of. Is it’s flavor like incense? Or like pine?

Just to be clear, the percentages I discussed were percentages of the total scenting “liquid”. This mixed scented “liquid” would then be used to scent the tobacco. @Xander Mastic is said to have a resinous type of scent. I suspect it may have enough pineyness to it to be able to forsake the other scents for a Latakia type scent. I personally do not know. @linguist Generally speaking most essential oils are risky to have in direct contact with the skin, but some are quite safe. The indirect method of scenting is recommended where only the scent components are transferred as opposed to the chemical compounds in their entirety. Fresh mastic I believe is safe enough, after all it has been consumed orally for centuries.

I’d never heard of mastic before so I googled it. It gave me the idea to maybe give pine gum a try. I just have to walk into my back yard to get some. I can see the possibility of it being overpowering but it might work out if done lightly. Now I have to add a plain snuff to my shopping cart.

mastic smells like plain chewing gum but stronger of course. The safety i am talking about is for the loungs not for the skin so i think there is no problem because the snuffs i made are the most easiest ones on my nose. I livd in Cappadocia in Turkey and i am looking for tonka beans but i couldn’t find any. Xander you were in Izmir maybe you heard of Altin Damla (golden drop) fragrance which was invented in Izmir on 1920. mostly known and sold as cologne because of the cheaper price than its essential oil. Now i use it for snuff scenting as well as i use it as my daily parfume.

@linguist I hadn’t heard of Altin Damla, but I will look into it. Its been about 20 years since I was over there and I did not have the same interests then as I do now. Tonka beans I don’t think you will find them easily, but you can order some from here: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ I assume they will ship to Turkey. Maybe you will find a closer place in Europe or somewhere.

Scenting may become important if the law makers decide you can’t buy scented tobacco. While it is available I will support the manufactures. Making my own has it satisfaction. but snuff is inexpensive I don’t plan on getting in business. I prefer natural scenting over synthetic by osmosis. Fresh fruit rinds, fresh roasted coffee beans,roasted nuts, liquid smoke , liquor, Altoids, If it give off a scent I enjoy I can use it to scent snuff and or hydrate at the same time.

^^ which is why I recommend rehydrating dry tonka beans first. When you put a juicy bean in your box you transfer both its scent and moisture to the snuff.

Scenting may become important if the law makers decide you can’t buy scented tobacco. While it is available I will support the manufactures. Making my own has it satisfaction. but snuff is inexpensive I don’t plan on getting in business. I prefer natural scenting over synthetic by osmosis. Fresh fruit rinds, fresh roasted coffee beans,roasted nuts, liquid smoke , liquor, Altoids, If it give off a scent I enjoy I can use it to scent snuff and or hydrate at the same time.

I agree. Snuff is cheaper than my homemade snuffs but ordering them makes me stressed sometimes because of the customs regulations. Anyway i grind and scent them as a hobby beside the commercial snuff consumption.

my last snuff has just matured. Linguist’ peach. Wonderful single scented snuff. A friend of mine will send me some pure fragrance: sandalwood chedar pinus vetiver melon banana raspberry and artificial tonka comaroun (something like that) i will try them share the results here.

I have been experimenting with american scotches but haven’t thought about using oils. I think it would develop into a whole different process of drying without losing anything. I do think that experimenting gives you a better blend. I also haven’t seen a list of ingredients on flavored snuff to say if they are natural or not. Does make me wonder

only Toque claims that they use only natural flavors i think. Of course every manufacturer has used only naturel ingredients before the synthetic scents were invented in 1888.

I would almost think that artificial flavors would have you absorbing something not so… I’m searching for the right word because I do not want to say its bad because I honestly would not know. I do know from my experience so far that natural ingredients allow you to collect some of the benefits they provide

@linguist I feel for you ,customs are an annoyance. One time I had got some 80 + year old cigarettes that were in original tins of fifty and they opened one tin. I was steaming mad but there is no fighting with them, So I smoked them and share with my friends I am half tempted to open the last tin they were outstandingly good. I may try my hand at home grown rustica ,this coming season and thinking of spray curing with Italian dark roasted coffee while the plants are hanging. And separating stems and leaf stock then toasting before grinding then mix and sit for a long fermenting period

When I was a kid I used to buy Spruce Gum to chew, haven’t seen it in decades.

i received the samples and tried them last week. Parchuli is wonderful. Also cedarwood sandalwood and vetiver are awesome. Pinus is like de kralinsge A/P i feel like i am in a pine forest. Fruity once smell lighter but i can not dedect any banana, melon or raspberry. I mixed the snuffs which i don’t like altogather added some water and re-dried in microwave oven. Most of the scent has gone. I will use it after i scent it with other oils.

i found this on internet: Chemical content It contains 3.5 g tobacco, making up 63% of its weight, 19% is moisture, 11% paraffin as moisturiser, 4% potassium carbonate to regulate pH, and 3% flavour. And below link you can see at the bottom of the page some european snuff contents. smokeless.org.nz/nasalsnuff_analyses.htm

today i bought one pound/0,5kilogram loose tobacco. I dried and ground it. This time i only added natural scent: 100% pure natural rose water. It has only 1% natural rose oil. But the scent of the snuff is wonderful. This encouraged me to use other kind of natural waters like eucalyptus, lavender and some others which i saw at the attar shop.

thanks to snuffhouse for the idea of pentyhouse sieve! I gained lots of time. It is very fresh at the moment but tested it. The smell is very light but it is absolutely there. Sweety, delicious.

Interesting mix

1 Like