American Scotches VS. English Plain

I would think that American or not, snuff would be made from a decent leaf selection. Stems are in every type of product softened by additives or flavorings

1 Like

I found this and thought I would share http://books.google.com/books?id=egA2AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA459&lpg=PA459&dq=what+grade+of+tobacco+is+used+for+american+scotch+snuff&source=bl&ots=dePFLu4wrt&sig=8F98zSh3h5Yt78ifDcG7BVVHPMI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LET5ULzAOLS50AGrioGgBQ&ved=0CE0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=what%20grade%20of%20tobacco%20is%20used%20for%20american%20scotch%20snuff&f=false

1 Like

Good find @MattheFox

1 Like

Damn good find!

1 Like

This book (or that portion of it) should be in our library if not already.

1 Like

@Xander: Just tried uploading it, file is too big. I will try something else over the weekend to get it archived.

1 Like

I wonder how similar todays manufacture is the that 1897 book description.

1 Like

I would like to think that the subject of the leaf used in snuff would be the same if not better because we still supply huge amounts to other countries and the sweet Vinginia leaf is still one of the best wrappers on top cigars

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder what the difference is between “eating” snuff (Scotches) and dip. Presumably it’s what is now dry snuff and, say, Copenhagen.

1 Like

@ericthered, Grind and moisture level. Add water to your Scotch snuff and let it sit a couple days. The tobacco will expand into a fine grind “dip”. Swedish snus is the same. It starts as whole leaves, ground down to a course powder, close to a course ground snuff, then re moisturized, and steam treated to get to final size. Before the Swedes discovered adding water and slow heating it, snus was nasal snuff.

1 Like

Now thats interesting @bigmick

1 Like

I’ve never done the couple day long soak, but I have made scotch snuff prillas in my hand or a tin just by mixing snuff and water until it looks like snus. They’re not much for taste though.

1 Like

Thanks Matt. Snus is my first love. Snuff is a wonderful Mistress.

1 Like

@bigmick I don’t know much about snus or snuff but I thought that tobacco for snus was pasturised using steam directly after curing or have I got this all wrong? I am very much interested in this process and the differences between preparing tobacco for snuff and snus. I don’t take snus but I have just sown some tobacco seeds and would like to my hand at making a few different products.

1 Like

@Ubert, snus is heat treated/pasteurized right before packaging. It’s part of the final blending of flavors. The tobacco is cured, mostly air or sun cured, then stored/aged for however long to conform to recipes. Most of the tobaccos are two + years old before being turned into snus. The heat kills microorganisms and slows or stops the aging process. Curing tobacco is the hardest part for us home growers. Planting , growing, grinding is simple.

1 Like

I had hoped to make it clear that they are not like toasts. Three Thistle Strong is one of my favorites. All of them are good though. I don’t really like the sweets except for the Wild Cherry.

1 Like

@Juxtaposer Evident, because Wild Cherry is not a sweet. :slight_smile:

I’m inclined to disagree.

In fact, you’re right. I checked on the box and is written sweet…this is a snuff that I use little, I used to not more than 1 year and not remember it as a sweet. However I believe that is the less sweet among Swischer’s sweet.

For what it’s worth, a couple of days ago I noticed that Tube Rose doesn’t describe itself as a sweet on the can–it labels itself as a scotch snuff.