Nettie Pots?

Thanks guy’s I brought it up not for myself but for those that use them. I thought the price was out there for just water & salt.

its sterile , so i guess thats what ur paying for , piece of mind… tap water is not a safe option , since nettie pots where link to a few deaths from introducing bacteria basically right in to the brain

eye was saline also contains enzymes to “eat” the protiens left on the contacts at the end of the day … i believe … i forgot exactly

I read about that too. I don’t think it really sounds fair to repackage eye wash to sell at a higher price because its being used for something different

It puts the saline in its eye or else it gets the hose again.

Nah, the salt is cheap. A big jar of Netti salt is less then $10, or use non-iodized salt for a cheaper option. I mix a 1/8 tsp or a bit more to tap water into the pot. I have a good filter on my house, so I think my water is pretty clean. I suppose I could start distilling it just to be on the safe side. Is simply boiled water distilled water, or do I actually have to run it through a still?

I use a mixture of 1-1/2 tsp pickling/canning salt to 1/2 tsp baking soda in 16 oz of water. I microwave 1/3 cup for 15-20 seconds, and irrigate using a baby nasal aspirator. This prevents crusting, rids the nose of gunk, and shrinks the mucous membranes. The water goes through the nasal passages and out your mouth. It’s VERY inexpensive as you would expect, can be done multiple times a day, and after you get the hang of it the relief is so great you’ll wonder why you hadn’t been doing it your entire life.

im not here to fear monger , im in new york , and we had a similar outbreak way upstate and michigan not long ago, believe as well http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/16/louisiana-warns-about-neti-pots-after-brain-eating-amoeba-infections/ i use nettie pots all the time , but i use them because i put a hurting on my nose , which greatly increases the chance of something getting infected, not necessarily even as serious as this

@Xander, yes, boiled water becomes distilled as you’re boiling out the bacteria, chlorine, fluoride and the like. Let it cool way down before use as you’ll singe your nose. When I first started, testing out good temperatures took some practice and learned a little the hard way.

Having just sprayed my keyboard with tea I thought I would post a link to the source of the mirth… en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nettie First definition… :))

There’s all kinds of gunk under my keys, including tea, snuff, hair… I take it apart and clean it thoroughly about once a year. I’ve had this keyboard since 1998, and although a few keys give me trouble, I intend to make it last.

@ermtony That almost made me spray coffee. It’s the same reason I find the term ‘pinch’ so funny. We used pinch as a term for crap as long as i can remember. So ‘take a bigger pinch’ and ‘put a pinch in your nose’ still make me laugh after all this time. Another reason this board is so awesome.

It actually should be pointed out at this time that “Neti Pot” is the correct spelling. Its not a toilet.

lol wouldn’t it be the same… a device to flush crap out You got to love humor in the spelling

And our world keeps getting better, a electronic nose flushing system. … https://www.navage.com/nose-cleaner-nasal-rinse-p/bdl-v-nc-cc.htm

Distilled water is only 1 buck a gallon at your local dollar store & sea salt is cheap as well , you can’t get any safer that Distilled Water. G’Day

1 Like

That’s what fubar bohica is for.

1 Like

Haven’t tried bohica, but i tried raw chile powder. It’s painful, helps to clean nose to some extent, but that’s not really close to saline solution lavage :slight_smile:

Regarding solutions - to be 100% safe one can use solutions made for infusions. Not as cheap as distilled water, but must be much cheaper than eye wash.
There are isotonic solutions of sodium chloride or mixes of salts (e.g. Ringer’s solution). Can be made hypertonic if needed by adding salt. Saline solution is about 40 euro cents per litre where i live.

1 Like

I haven’t tried raw chili powder, but I w0ould assume bohica is less painful then the chili powder. After a good session of bohica, my nose is clearer than anything else I’ve tried. You gotta commit to it though. Stateside we have saline nasal spray such as simply saline. Bohica works better than that for me. Stateside, IV saline is expensive compared to everywhere else.

1 Like

Dholakia Green works well for me in that sense, but still sometimes i feel like nose is in need of shower, after Schmaltzler in particular :slight_smile:
Saline spray is quite different to lavage (neti pot or anything similar). Though i’m far from advocating frequent use of neti pot, it can be helpful.

1 Like