pipe recommendations

Thank’s for the info! I’ve seen some Bjarne’s around, but thought they were perhaps just old stock. Whatever my pal said, I think it was about the Bjarne company itself…think I’ll give him a jingle to recover the memory. I must check out Johs’s pipes!

I am looking to buy first pipes. Two Peterson Killarneys, #86, & XL90. What do you think? $82.00 each. Good choice? Good price?

@Chef_Dean Pete’s are great pipes and that is a great price! Do it! :slight_smile:

I started with cheap estate pipes, moved on to Petes, then up the ladder. Don’t smoke the cheap estate pipes much any more, but still like my Petes. Can’t go wrong price/performance-wise. I like cobs, too, especially the natural one that has no plaster fill, smokes clean and dry; I bought an acryllic ‘forever’ stem for them and reach for a cob nearly as often as a Pete.

@Scurvy @Mouse Thanks Gentlemen

Stanwell and B.C. make some nice reasonably-priced ones too. I’ve got some from all three, and they seem comparable in quality.

@Chef_Dean I am a Peterson pipe collector. Pipe smoking is a joy and as with snuff it takes practice and patience ,Aros are sweet but burn hot and will scorch your mouth. pipe tobacco has to be packed with just the right amount of pressure and sipped on at the prefect draw to bring out the best in the tobacco. Too fast and ruin the bottom of the smoke and possible the bowl. You should get a several used pipes like a dr.grabow omega for under $20 and learn how to use a pipe.Breaking in a new pipe is a task ,you need to smoke very tiny amounts and let the bowl rest to build up the kake needed for long life of the pipe. This is why you need several pipes. corn cobs are good to start with also. Buy the Petersons but also buy some estate pipes to start out with. $160 a month to spend on pipes sound about right then your going to need storage jars ,pipe racks, pipe tools, large ash tray and good tobacco, add $100+ a month ,Well at least your not smoking cigarettes and pipe smokers live longer that non smokers.Enjoy, any questions PM me

@basement _shaman Looks like I won’t be saving money by quiting cigarettes. LOL Much Thanks

@Chef_Dean You save in the long run, You can’t sell used cigarette butts, used Pipes you can if you can part with them. PAD IS SERIOUSLY REAL and you really only need less than a dozen pipes. Briars ,Meerschaums,corn cobs Oh my! Clay pipes are cheap and won’t ghost, but break easy and are bad for your teeth. + smoking a pipe is classy. Where cigarette smoking is shunned now adays

I have well over 100 pipes. All kinds and from a number of makers. Tend to use quarter or full bents or a good Oom Paul. But my particular passion is a well built Meerschaum. Smoke cool and have such a fabulous array of options, they smoke cool… and as they age and are used the colors change giving more character.

Seems harder these days to find a nice new oom paul. Maybe they aren’t making as many at the moment, used to have a nice blond GBD one- damn I hate losing a pipe!

PAD is a disease!! Just can’t stop snatching up those wonderful old English estates on ebay!!

I need an intervention for the same problem, @furious

@Mr_O I really like the way a good Oom Paul just hangs fairly effortlessly while smoking. Less stress on the teeth and jaw which then equates to less/fewer bite marks on the stem and frankly the bowl is closer to your nose allowing you to subtly ‘scoop up’ that ‘room note pleasure’. Add to that the fact that it is out of your line of site if doing something with your hands, say working in the shop, gardening or fishing and it is a perfect choice…for me.

churchwarden are my favorite and no you don’t have to warden a church to enjoy one.

Thanks gentlemen, I am learning so much. Oom Paul, love this photo:

I also like a good churchwarden, but mainly as an end of the day sit back and reflect option.

I might convert a nice, basic, prince into a churchwarden, since the tenon got snapped anyways. Really though, it seems tough to find a nice, new oompaul these days. Yes I do have some estate pipes, ones that caught my eye, but somehow I usually prefer buying new pipes- or un-smoked old ones.

@kaiser_wilhelm Isn’t it such a thrill to pick up a pre-trans Barling or patent Dunhill for $50?? In fact, within the last month I added one of each as well as an old Leeds Ben Wade for about that amount. Great stuff indeed.

I’m certain it is an international conspiracy @Mr_O…What are they thinking making it so darn hard to appease those of us who love a good Oom Paul?