Different types of pipe tobacco and how they age

Just my personal observations, your mileage may vary: As a general rule of thumb, Burley doesn’t exhibit much change with age, but one does run across occasional exceptions. Virginias not only become sweeter with age, but also develop complexity of flavor. This seems to be most pronounced with bright leaf. Virginias also benefit the most from long-term aging. Perique mellows, and the stewed-fruit undertones become more prominent. However, it always retains some of that black-pepper spiciness. I don’t care for Latakia at all, and my experience with the other orientals is limited, so I won’t venture any opinion. Cavendish is not a variety of tobacco, but a method of processing it with a heavy dose of sugared water. The process seems to retard any benefits of aging. Personally, I wouldn’t bother with trying to age a Cavendish, or indeed, most aromatics. As with any organic process, Mother Nature is apt to throw a wrench in the works of any tobacco aging experiment. But that doesn’t stop most devoted pipers.