Tendancy towards anachronism

@Vito445 to be a pagan you would need to believe in a god . I have no such beliefs. Pagan is a religion and I have religious indigestion. “Your mind is totally controlled It has been stuffed into my mold And you will do as you are told Until the rights to you are sold”. “Frank Zappa”

A bit anachronical here too and liking it, besides snuff my other passion is the practice of medieval and renaissance swordmanship (mostly longsword and sword & buckler) not of the same period but I love them both!

@basement_shaman No, just that you mentioned CS and I have a couple. Twistmaster also but carry Benchmade.

It wasn’t me that mentioned CS that was bigdaddysnuff. But they do have a good selection of deadly collectable battle ready tools of surivial and self protection. It’s not Honzo quaility but the prices aren’t either. The Benchmark 553SBK griptilian looks like the folder on my list. I have no need to carry. so it be for display. I have tools for most purposes that I use.

My EDC knife is actually a Spyderco Manix 2. I abuse this knife and it keeps going.

I carry around a Kershaw, not a high end knife but reliable and says sharp; also a tiny Swiss Army penknife with a snuff spoon attached to the ring on the end, really handy.

Gen 2 River Witham Viking -zombie head remover ;works with first swing and never runs out of ammo.

Such a lovely blade, @basement_shaman

Use a ‘dumb’ phone, why shave, read real books that I can hold, shun traditional social media, buy local as often as possible and totally utilize good old fashion tobacco as often as feasible.

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/the-american-list/

Snuff-Check; Straight razor, mug and brush-Check; Cast iron skillet and dutch oven-Check; cooking from scratch. besides snuff my other passion is the practice of medieval and renaissance swordmanship (mostly longsword and sword & buckler) not of the same period but I love them both!

I bought a 1965 Mercedes Benz 190D. Cast iron, grain mill, roast coffee, diy laundry detergent, Ronsir glasses. I could go on.

Snuff-Check; Straight razor, mug and brush-Check; Cast iron skillet and dutch oven-Check; cooking from scratch and home canning-Check; topo map and army compass-Check; hand bound books-Check (when I can afford them); fountain pen and hand written letters-Check; Fedora, flat cap and derby (as needed)-Check; 1928 BCP and 1611 KJV-Check. All I need now is a Tin Lizzie and a candlestick 'phone. Modernity is for the inexperienced.

1928 BCP - modernist! At my wedding we used the 1662 rite, and the clergyman said in 25 years of priestcraft he’d never used it for a wedding… Other anachronisms: Fountain pen 3 speed bicycle which I ride in ordinary clothes with no ‘safety gear’ except a pair of cycle clips Small wire rimmed specs Proper old heavily repaired English shoes with leather soles and blakeys (except for cycling when I wear rubber soles) Bespoke suit (with tie, not open necked) for work; tweeds for leisure Pipe In business, always call people by surname and title unless invited not to (this one is slipping now - I think email has killed off the use of surnames and titles completely now)

Listen almost exclusively to Bach (Glenn Gould performing; preference for minor pieces) read books, take whisky straight, drive stick, play classical on my nylon string, carry a handkerchief (though I know most here do as well) and enjoy canned fish…

And I forgot my fountain pen…I was the lucky recipient of a beautiful cross with a monogrammed cap for my birthday.

Fountain pen.

I’ve considered joining the local Amish, if not for lack of internet.

I personally don’t see snuff taking as an anachronism. I don’t think it was as popular as we all would like to think. I believe its day has yet to come.

A good wish for sure BUT it was as popular as we like to think. :wink: Snuff was f***ing HUGE back in the days.

An apt observation. I have some of these preferences myself. Among them: Black 1940’s wing tips Vintage safety razor with brush & mug ‘Soda jerk’ glasses Pipes (corn cob, burl, and deer antler so far - looking to add a clay churchwarden) Gardening and preserving Soviet era eastern European firearms Fountain pens My grandfather’s hats & ties Vinyl records, and some lacquer 78’s

I do like to go simple, timeless with certain things at times or in some areas. I like to go reuseable(sp?) over disposable, also prefer foods with more natural ingredients. I use paper where lots of folk would use computers and such. Double edge razors, or at times a straight. I prefer cooking w/gas, wood, charcoal etc. over electric units. Stuff like that. Simple if not anachronistic… For the record, as I’ve heard. Pagan means “the people who dwell in the countryside”, those who didn’t want to live in the kingdom under the rule of the king. So a pagan may or may not have a religion. I think I heard this in R. Buckland’s or G. Gardner’s work…

Badger brush and shaving mug. Cast iron pans and dutch oven. Pocket watches rather than wrist watches (mechanical of course!) Old Time Radio (mostly hardboiled detectives and Fibber McGee & Molly.) Musical preference - Doo Wop. Monastic aspirant. Sad to say… the handlebar moustache that I sported for several years has been replaced by a goatee (of sorts) after I was told that the handlebars would probably have to go if I become a monk.