Opinions on Toasts

Thanks guys for your opinions. I’m yet to try all of the recommendations but I’m happy to take my own time on that. It seems that you all had an awful lot to say about toasts! The ones I’ve tried and enjoyed are Toque’s Natural Toast, WoS #22, Toque’s and Toast and Marmalade. I tried Toque’s Lime Toast and thought it tasted like disinfectant! The lime flavour is overpowering. Not to my liking! Sorry. On my next order from Toque will be Bourbon, Whiskey and Honey and that new one, Almond Toast. I think I’ll give F&T HDT a go. With that many mentions it can’t be bad! Thanks

Have some IDL (Irish D Light) 22 on order so may give an opinion after comparison. F&T is good for me also. Think I will have an IDL just now in fact since you mentioned it.

@heluvagi Perhaps you should let it breath if really fresh. Try again after a few minutes.

This may get rid of the “disinfectant” smell which is actually a good thing. Indicates freshness.

@Heluvagi I do really like the Wilson’s 22 and it is on my “A” list. Hard to compare as my IDL (Irish D Light) is quite nice also. IDL is a very fine grind. Be aware !

I did not like the scent of Lime Toast either but after a few seasons the scent has faded into something quite nice.

Lime Toast reminds me(somehow) of Saddle Soap. Days gone by of polishing tack at the Horse Shows.

I did not like the scent of Lime Toast either but after a few seasons the scent has faded into something quite nice.

You know, it’s funny you should say that. I just tried it again yesterday and it was much better… Now that the aroma has faded. :slight_smile:

@Heluvagi I have a very similar experience. After reading so many positive things regarding IHD No.22 from Wilson’s I thought if I wanted to experience a toast this would be it. I find it doesn’t agree with me and I find the scent almost sickening. This applies to any toast I’ve tried. It’s odd because I love smoked foods and thought this would fit right in, but it get’s to a point where it smells like sweet burnt tires and I have to put it down. Perhaps the #20 would be more to my liking. In the end though, I’m not a fan of IHD No. 22

Almond toast is the cat’s meow.

Lime toast is the Lions roar.

W&H is the tigers growl

F.U.B.A.R Toast is the dogs bollocks.

I haven’t heard much about Wilson’s #21 and have some on order just to try it. Is it any good? I guess if it was awesome like #22 is (I loved it) or if it was horrible, I would hear more. Also have some Samuel Gawith IDL coming in and am pretty optimistic about it, lots of folks seem to like it.

I like Wilson’s 21. A little easier to take. Not quite as fine or dry. Still a very good toast in my opinion.

Are there any medium grind, med-high moisture Toasts? I just got G&H Irish D and Wilsons #22 and find them to be too dusty and dry at the moment.

@cigargod (as a true cigar lover I have to say I love your handle), These toasts definitely grow on you and you will find that as you use/try these they not only frow on you, they get much easier as well.

Are there any medium grind, med-high moisture Toasts? I just got G&H Irish D and Wilsons #22 and find them to be too dusty and dry at the moment.

I think the definition of toast is that they are fine and dry.

IHT22 is the LOLcat’s caption.

I’ll be letting everyone know next week sometime when my order gets here, I got the toast bundle and I think these are going to be right up my alley, being that I’m a big scotch fan so far. So, fine and dry is most definitely my cup of tea. Can’t wait.

Well, I said I would be posting again about toasts, and…they are what I now snuff all day long. Love them. F&T HDT and WoS IHT 22 are my main snuffs now. I use HDT for a few days and then switch to 22 for a few days. I throw in my SP’s and other favorites here and there throughout the day and night as well. But, toasts are definitely my favorite (along with scotches).

I’d be happy with toasts alone as well. I have HDT, WoS #22, Toque Natural Toast, Whisky & Honey and Bourbon all in front of me right now and I’m just going through them all in turn.

Toque Natural Toast is also fantastic. So is WoS 21 and surprisingly Toast & Marmalade (didn’t know what to think about it until I tried it). Haven’t gotten around to the WoS 20 yet, and I’m not sure about GH Irish D yet either, because I only tried it with a nose full of HDT already. But yeah, if I had to pick one style of snuff to have for the rest of my life, right now it would be toasts.