pipe recommendations

So many choices at that price…You can find Peterson Harps for 109 as well as St Patrick Day pipes for less than 100. Nordings can be had for under $100 if you like freehands. I’ve had some good Chacom pipes as well for less than $100.00

I’m a Peterson man myself, best bang for your buck IMHO. Savinelli also makes great pipes for a good price

I not done collecting Peterson. Just received two in the mail today. My favorites are the 80s and 999 . I prefer fish tail over the P lip.Nothing wrong with a nice estate pipe. But if you need to buy a new pipe I go with the Harp series , Very classy.

I have been eying a couple Harps. I think CI.com has one for under 80. I found a savinelli Punto Oro 320 on eBay I’m considering. It’s an estate but it is nicely restored. I really like the root briar Sav I have , I guess another estate pipe can’t be bad.

I recommend Tsuge pipes. Their handmade pipes are really expensive, but they also offer inexpensive pipes (but still very good quality) for under $100. http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/tsuge/index.cfm

I thought all Tsuge pipes were out of my price range! That’s good to know thank you.

Tsuge pipes seem really interesting. The funny thing is people I’ve asked who smoke pipes who live far away from Tsuge say they’re great, people I’ve talked to near were they are made seem to have this strange notion that only europeans know how to make a good pipe. Seriousily it’s just the people I’ve talked to and they have said they’re no good they’re made in the wrong country. Would love to try one, I think they are beautifull pipes.

I’m partial to Bjarnes and Petersons. No matter what I pay for one (and, like you, several of mine are estate pipes bought on eBay), I have not found a bad smoker in either brand. It shouldn’t be at all difficult to find new Bjarnes and Petersons for less than $100.

I agree about Pererson and Bjarne pipes turning out to be good smokers. I have a couple Petersons and a Bjarne that seem to smoke better than average. I smoke them each a couple times per week and they always deliver a good smoking experience. The Bjarne freehand I found second hand is my current favorite.

I only have two Petersons but they are both great smokers and they were less than £40 each. Perfect for smoking some Lakeland flakes while walking in the countryside and not risking a more expensive pipe.

Brebbia, Savinelli and Stanwell

I have 3 Stanwell’s and am happy with them, same goes for my 2 Peterson’s, my one Bjarne and my 2 BC’s. Didn’t Bjarne just go out of business or change hands, or their master carver passed away or something- maybe a year or two ago?

Bjarne Nielsen passed away in February 2008. I don’t have any information on who inherited his workshop, but I know Bjarne pipes are still being offered for sale. I know he had quite a few carvers working for him. I assume one or more of them is running the show now.

@Mr. O: I believe you are thinking about the Johs brand. Lifted from smokingpipes.com: “Mogens ‘Johs’ Johansen lives and works in Frederikshavn, Denmark and makes about two thousand pipes each year. Many of his shapes may seem familiar, and this is because he carved many pipes for Bjarne. After Mogens drills the tobacco chamber, mortise, and airway, he fits a preform vulcanite or acrylic stem (each having a tenon turned on them, though some are fit with a separate tenon) and works insanely fast, which is part of the reason that his pipes are so affordable.”

Thank’s for the info! I’ve seen some Bjarne’s around, but thought they were perhaps just old stock. Whatever my pal said, I think it was about the Bjarne company itself…think I’ll give him a jingle to recover the memory. I must check out Johs’s pipes!

I am looking to buy first pipes. Two Peterson Killarneys, #86, & XL90. What do you think? $82.00 each. Good choice? Good price?

@Chef_Dean Pete’s are great pipes and that is a great price! Do it! :slight_smile:

I started with cheap estate pipes, moved on to Petes, then up the ladder. Don’t smoke the cheap estate pipes much any more, but still like my Petes. Can’t go wrong price/performance-wise. I like cobs, too, especially the natural one that has no plaster fill, smokes clean and dry; I bought an acryllic ‘forever’ stem for them and reach for a cob nearly as often as a Pete.

@Scurvy @Mouse Thanks Gentlemen

Stanwell and B.C. make some nice reasonably-priced ones too. I’ve got some from all three, and they seem comparable in quality.