Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Best selection of snuff and snuff related products in the UK.Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Worldwide distributor of the finest in snuff, chew, RYO, pipe, accessories and much more.

Mah Jong (Mahjong, Mah Jongg)

cstokes4cstokes4 Member, Moderator
edited August 2012 in The Pub (Off Topic)
Anyone here play? Not the solitaire game but the actual card/tile game. I recently purchased a set of cards to see if I like it before making the investment in tiles. I have downloaded some instructions and might give it a go soon if I can coax a few more people into it.

Have any tips for beginners?

Comments

• I have a set of nice tiles, but I could never get the 4 people together willing to learn how to play. I played with it a bit on Yahoo Games, but I didn't really know what I was doing. It felt a bit like Rummy Cube but with a lot of other things lurking in the background.
  • Same here. I want to play it since years but could not find people to play with me. There is a only client but it is only available in japanese.
  • cstokes4cstokes4 Member, Moderator
    I've heard of variations with 2 people, which might be the only way I may end up playing. I taught my wife how to play Rummy last night, hope she like Mah Jong as much.
  • I used to play, years ago. A friend of mine used to host regular Mah Jong nights. She grew up a U. S. Foreign Service brat, and had a very nice set of tiles she bought while living in Hong Kong.

As I recall, the game is very similar to gin rummy or rummy 500, but with lots of special combinations that are winning hands. A very risky game if gambling is involved -- I'd rather take my chances at a blackjack table.
  • Got a set my sis brought back from China, don't know how to play yet- I need to read my book on it.
  • I use to play on a weekly basis w/ some friends. It's a great game that gets better the more you learn the strategy. I recommend getting a good book that explains the rules and the strategies well. My top choice would be 'A Mah Jong Handbook' by Eleanor Noss Whitney. It has good illustrations and a good primer on strategy. There are a number of variations on how to play. I can't recommend the American Rules as it gets to caught up in special hands and you have to purchase a yearly card to tell you what the special hands are. I usually play by the Chinese rules but have always wanted to get a Japanese set and learn the Riichi variation. The main thing is to get a good group to play with and play it enough to get into the swing of it. It is also much better to play the full length game, which can be a bit long if people aren't paying attention. rather than to simply play a couple of hands as the strategy really comes to life when you play for points and you learn how to strategically lose a hand in the correct way.
  • cstokes4cstokes4 Member, Moderator
    Thanks for the comments! I'm glad I bought the $7 deck of cards, I doubt that it will be a regular thing for us. One of our friends did just get back from Beijing, so he might be up to playing on a regular basis.