Opinions on Toasts

the F&T is one of the greats of snuffdom. Even if you don’t think you’ll like it try it just so you know one of the classics.

F&T HDT is the one I have bough the most of, with WOS 22 a worthy second though the stronger scent makes it only an occasional use for me. Weird thing though, with the Toque Natural toast I got a really bitter scent. This may have been an old tin, as I bought it in a tobacconist. Guess I should give it another try, as I had high hopes of this one, having enjoyed, on occasion, the other Toque toasts. Regarding the Irish D Light, I found the sweetness off putting.

IHT No 22 is da bomb!

I am beginning to like toasts more and more. Toque Lime Toast is fantastic and I do like Irish D light but it reminds me a bit of pipe tobacco with its flavor. When I first started snuffing toasts tore me up a bit, now they are quite pleasant.

In general, I’m not a big fan of toasts/scotches. However, I greatly enjoy Toque Whisky & Honey, and would not want to be without a supply of it. I also have several tubes of various American scotches in my collection. I don’t pinch from them often, though – only when I feel the need for a truly eye-watering nicotine blast.

Wilsons #22 is the toast for me. All the others including scotches are good too. Never had a bad dry snuff.

@AllanH - It is funny how I go back and forth between WoS #22 and F&T . Considering they are the same source, with subtle taste variations, I prefer one, then the other, back and forth.

I like how I don’t have to worry about toasts drying out, as they are already dried out. I admit I’m not crazy about the campfire aroma. When I first tried one (Wilsons I think) my first impression was not campfire but “house fire”. F&T HDT is tasty though, and I’ve enjoyed most of the main contenders on occasion.

I find that Toasts in general seem to absorb the ambient humidity here very well. I’m not a big fan of Toasts though so any Toast will do.

Has anyone tried the Dholakia toasts ?

I have had all the Dholakia Toasts, as I’m sure others have … i just didn’t care for them. Far too dusty, too fine, for my nose. They also, to me, had no semblance to the toasts I love - no buttery nature, no smokiness - and the Indian scent that lingered, while not unbearably strong, I just knew I wouldn’t reach for them at all. They were more Indian Scotches versus toasts, to me, if that makes sense.

I feel I have to post this, given that I initiated this discussion. I’ve completely reversed my opinion of #22. I’ve really started to like it. If I hadn’t read all the above posts extolling the virtue of #22, I might never have given it another go. I’ve been tentatively trying a pinch or two and slowly, but surely, it’s really grown on me! Thanks snuffhouse. Consider me a convert!

I like Toasts but Toasts don’t like me. I have tried filling my lungs with air first and sniffing gently, I have tried MrMichaelSnuff’s “nostril kink” and I have tried blowing my nose first to moisten the inside of my nose - all of these to no avail - the wretched stuff still flies straight to the back of my throat. Do the venerable gentlemen on this site know of a Toast that is not bone dry and dust-fine - or is this a contradiction in terms?

To me, Wilson’s # 20 has a little more moisture. It is a lightly toasted SP. Toque Whiskey & Honey is also one of the easier toast to take.

@insufflator I can feel your pain. That is how it has been for me in the past. My technique has improved making a big difference. I had more success in taking a pinch, basically placing it against the septum in the nostril then pinching the fleshy part of the nose in. Pinching closed the nostrils. This sort of glued the goods in place. The problem is that you can only do very small doses at a time this way but can help get you over the hump. With this method never had any problems sniffing it too far back because I didn’t sniff at all. Now, not so much a problem. Good luck!

Well, after I achived blowhole method there is no problem with toasts. Even HDT. Instead, toasts itself become more handy as they are all-day snuffs. For today I used only HDT and IHT#22, got no burn or nose runs. Taking a pinch is problematic due to stick on fingers, so the spoon become usefull. @insufflator, use searchbox about that method, guess it will solve your problem.

IHT No 22 is awesome. I’ve tried several other toasts and scotches but they’ve all had a slight ‘off’ note to my taste. After reading this thread I went to get 10g to see if it was as good as I remembered it being and it is.

There was recent talk of a varitation of method. What i do for all fine snuffs is lightly coat the tip of one finger, bring it to the nostril and sniff. As long as you do very tiny amounts, it is very hard to over do it. I end up coating my finger tip about six or seven times before im done. I have also been steadly increasing the amount i take at once. This has really opened the world of fine grind snuffs to me.

For toasts, my favourite is a 50/50 mix of F&T and SG.

o.k. I can admit it now I really really didn’t like the almond toast. It did not agree with my sense of smell in any way at all. I found it really gross. Not a poorly made snuff but didn’t agree with me. Funny love toque think they’re great yet they’ve made a few of my unsnuffables. Whiskey and honey is a favorite of mine however.