OT: What Are You Reading?

Dreamtime & Inner space

Finally got hold of a proper Asterix collection, so Asterix the Gaul

Perdurabo by Richard Kaczynski, by far the most comprehensive biography of Aleister Crowley.

willc I’ve never read it but best chance it’s not accurate. Just based on statistics. Like I said never read it, 90% chance more myth then anything.

Nah bob this is the real deal. If you don’t know anything about AC this will bore you to tears. No sensationalism, just the facts, like good old Jack Webb would say.

Good to hear. The myth is great and all but it gets tiresome especialy when you consider he was an interesting fellow on many fronts.

Yeah bob some things written about Crowley are absolutely crazy but people take it for fact. Even with all the myth taken away he led an interesting life and rubbed elbows lots of neat folks and traveled to some cool spots.

Sri Isopanisad

Maha Yoga by “Who”, a disciple of Sri Ramana Maharshi.

The Brewers Handbook… Honing up my brewing skills. With practice of course!!!

Willc including his oss service too. Lots of people have trouble believing his conection with the guy who wrote James Bond.

@bob I am not too sure if he served with official capacity in the OSS but I do believe he was a staunch patriot and his time spent in the US during WW1, writing for that German Nationalist paper, were all done with Queen and country in mind. A friend lent me Secret Agent 666 and I will be reading that next. As for knowing Ian Fleming I have no idea about that but it is certainly possible that they met or knew each other and most certainly knew of each other.

Shah of Shah’s, All the Shah’s Men, and an Evidence Case Law book.

yeah he did and it was flemings idea.

I just started reading “A Short History of the Middle East” by George E. Kirk When i’m bored a grab what ever volume of STE that i’m on and read some of that.

the second game of thrones one, plus one about zombies and one by the donnie brasco cop. clearly, high literature is important to me

@Snuffster: What zed book are you reading?

@cstokes4 - just finished Zone One by Colson Whitehead. Slightly hard going because of large amounts of purple prose, but a great story idea. The couple I read before that by JL Bourne - Day by Day Armageddon and Beyond Exile were far better in my view. He’s a serving US military man and the writing has a lot more snap. I just don’t read that type of stuff for the writing, if I want writing I pick up a Dostoevski or sumtin. I’m constantly on the look out for Zed lit btw.

Does audio book count? I just finished listening to The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This is a cliché, but the book is so much better than the movie~

I’m going to pick up that book. I have not seen the movie, but the themes it conveys I’ve gathered from the trailers seem like sound sci-fi material, which is essentially an allegory of the here and now. Clearly the author “gets it” and is hoping to teach a younger audience. I did borrow the soundtrack from the library. Great stuff there: The Decembrists, Arcade Fire, etc: bands who also “get it.”