Nasal snuff hazardous ?? Wtf ???

“The EU allows the sale of nasal snuff and chewing tobacco that are more hazardous than Swedish snuff.” I feel, they have some misconception about nasal snuff. Discuss. http://www.europeanvoice.com/article/imported/the-evidence-says-that-snus-should-not-be-banned/74925.aspx

Not much of an article there and I don’t see any evidence on that link either. All I know is that when people tell me I’m going to get nose cancer from snuff I tell them I’d be the first documented case of that happening.

Not much of an article there and I don’t see any evidence on that link either. All I know is that when people tell me I’m going to get nose cancer from snuff I tell them I’d be the first documented case of that happening.

Exactly. I think the same way. There is no such case in the looonnnngggg history of nasal snuff. It is hiliarious to write something like that.

I just read a bit about nasal snuff on Wikipedia. I know it’s not the most credible source but it says nasopharyngeal carcinoma the most common form of nose cancer, (which actually occurs just behind the nose) is really rare.

I just read a bit about nasal snuff on Wikipedia. I know it’s not the most credible source but it says nasopharyngeal carcinoma the most common form of nose cancer, (which actually occurs just behind the nose) is really rare.

I am totally sure that it would be a VERY hard to find proven evidence of people who got something like that from snuffing.

it is such a rare form of cancer that there are no known causes. It does not happen enough for there to be any trends

I have to log in to read the article. Can someone who is registered there re-post it?

It’s quite simple. The Swedes have spent $$$ funding the scientific study [link] of Swedish snus. This proved, scientifically, that there was no increased incidence of cancer over 3 decades of use. There have been no long-term, scientific studies of EU nasal snuff. Any ‘evidence’ we currently have is anecdotal and doesn’t mean anything to anyone who wants real evidence. Personally, I think it’s fair to say that one is proven safe, and one might be more dangerous. They have evidence, and we have anecdotes. Yes, in the original poster’s links, the ‘might be’ part was skipped, but my point is still valid. It doesn’t bother me, either way. I believe that taking snuff has stopped me from smoking cigarettes, and I feel better. But I’ll be honest, I’d love to see a long term study of snuff use. Come on, manufacturers. Pony up the cash, and let’s get it done. Only then will you have the scientific evidence to argue with these people. It’s expensive, but I think it would be worth it in the long run, unless it proves to be less safe than we all would like to believe. :expressionless: I think it’s a safe bet that snuff is safer than cigarettes. But doctors said cigarettes were safe in the 50’s, too. Let’s get some real evidence. When they actually studied rates of disease in cigarette smokers, it was pretty clear it caused problems. I believe that snuff is (generally) safe, but I’ll argue indignantly that it’s true only after the studies have been done. I think one of the problems is that ‘EU nasal snuff’ isn’t all made by the same process. I suspect that some are very safe, and others less so. General Match snus is all made following the Gothiatek process which was designed specifically to reduce the nitrosamine (read: carcinogen) count in snus. Nasal snuff is all over the map. Some is fermented, some has additives, others are made with smoked tobacco. Some are just air-cured, ground tobacco. It would be sad to see a study done on ‘nasal snuff’ in general, that found a link to cancer. It might be true that only some types of snuff cause cancer. I think snuff usage patterns (variety, different types) makes it much harder to study in a scientific fashion.

1 Like

youtube.com/watch?v=2r4Book3JQQ

doctors said cigarettes were safe in the 50’s

funny thing is alot of doctors smoke still. they just don’t recomend it.

Every form of tobacco has some risk, whether high or low. It’s just not a very good plant for the human body. I don’t think we could ever say that nasal snuff is completely safe and has no risks whatsoever. It’s just the “risks” (that we see at the moment, anyways) are so low that they aren’t even acknowledged.

My grandma told me one day I’d snuff it straight up to my brain and die or something ridiculous like that. I told her I’ll take my chances. I’m not invincible but death is part of life. I’d rather die doing something I love than something I hate.

I just feel that since I do like the effects as well as the history and idea of tabacco, that snuff is the best all around use. That said, I still smoke a pipe, cigar and occasional sisha. But snuff, nose nectar!!!

one of the thing people forget with snuff is how good the body is at cleaning things out of the nose. Very little of the snuff stays in the body. Most is dumped into the stomach where powerfull acids destroy it. (if that worries you then think about the shit you breath in every single day without thinking about it.) it can’t get stuck in the body like smoke in lungs. :slight_smile:

OI didn’t want to register with the website in order to read one article but doesn’t swedish snuff go through some type of process? Maybe this process removes some of the known carcinogens?

The Swedish ‘snuff’ is snus, no connection or similarity with nasal snuff in either form or use. They have a pasteurising process that reputedly reduces the carcinogens. It’s a very safe form of tobacco - in comparison to smoked tobacco, all oral forms are. Nasal snuff would seem to be the least harmful of all by historical precedent and the admittedly small amount of serious, scientific studies.

there have been science studies on nasal snuff users that have used a sizeable sample of people who’ve used snuff longer then anyone on this site (cept for a few but we’ll pretend they’re a little younger then they are). More importantily there has never been any health issues associated with nasal snuff ever.

I don’t know where I heard, but the band on snus has something to do with the amount of litter on streets and the youth . more WHO propaganda http://tobaccowatch.blogspot.com/

what b.s. I quote “we’ll end up with another generation of nicotine addicts not able to reach their full potential” Wait a second who ever has reached their full potential? Nicotine or not. Secondily it seems like there will always be nicotine addicts cause we’re freaking humans and it’s one of the things we do. God some people must love the smell of their rectums since it’s clear their heads spend so much time up there.

God I hate that blog (yeah don’t feel like editing it’s a second though o.k.). They congrate wegmans (a grocery chain) for not selling tobacco products. The funny thing I just have to ad is I worked for that company and in our news letter they admited they stoped selling tobacco because it wasn’t profitable and they lost money on it. I hate when people try to make their selfish behaviors look like sacrifices.