What do you use to light your pipe?

Zippo with pipe insert, Old Boy, and a Pearl ‘Eddie’ which is more tolerant to a breeze than the Old Boy

I use a pipe zippo or an IMCO butane.

Fire

@n9inchnails, I was waiting for this one!!!

@PieterClassen at that price I will take two.

Matches, Zippo, or Bic, whatever is available at the moment

I usually start with a match or two, then I use my Zippo w/ pipe insert exclusively.

Does anybody have any data on the variance of temperature between, for ex. a long match, a cedar splint, the flame from a wick lighter etc? I suppose butane would be hotter than the others, especially a torch flame, but I don’t know the science here. I usually end up using a lighter of various types.

A torch flame is a no go as far as pipes are concerned. It will scorch the rim for sure!! I’ve been using butanes and Zippos for ages and it does not cause any scorching at all. Matches, of course, are the #1 “lighter” for a pipe

I have a lot of zippos, but none with the pipe insert. I find that the regular zippos are a little difficult to light with, and I’m terrible with matches… I usually just use a Bic.

Pieter, yes I don’t use a torch on a pipe either, except for a cheapo cob or other more “disposable” type pipes and only when it’s the most convenient lighter nearby. Anyone else ever had to rely on a burning candle for a lighter?

You want to talk unique ways to light tobacco? I once had to light a cigarette with a tightly twisted paper towel, some WD40, and a blowtorch striker.

I’ve been know to use a toaster for my cigarettes from time to time. As far as my pipe goes(or any fire source for that matter), i have the Zippo bug. I love them them and own about ten. For those w/have never played w/one, i suggest buying a base model. You can find them for around $10. Once you ahve used a Zippo, nothing else can take its place.

If I have no wood matches a BIC lighter does ok.

@Harlequin I’ve lit my BBQ with gunpowder and carburetor cleaner… It seemed like a good idea at the time…

Good to be crafty…

Bic type lighters seem to be the best to me. A pipe question for the experts: I’ve smoked pipes for about 30 years, but on and off. I know how to smoke one and am not a beginner in that sense. Thing is, I’ve never owned anything other than cheapish briars. The last two cost me 14 euros. Is there a difference in smoking a cheapy over a Dunhill or whatever? I’m perfectly happy with what I have - am I missing something? I have no interest in prestige brand names, but as I have got a little more interested in pipe smoking as I get older I wonder if I should shell out a bit. I suspect this is like asking if snuff is better out of a gold snuff box, but as I am no expert on piping I thought I would ask. Running out of snuff on holiday and buying a pipe to keep me sane has re-kindled my interest and I have been avidly smoking corner shop/gas station brands of baccy since I got back from Greece a couple of weeks ago.

@snuffster Up to a certain point (say around $200) paying more does (usually) result in a better product, in terms of fit and finish, materials and engineering. That is not to say that there are not wonderful smokers to be had quite cheap. I’ve had some great basket pipes over the years that I paid less than $30 for, but in general mid-grade pipes do smoke better than really cheap pipes. The reasons for this include factors such as accurate drilling, well-finished stems with comfortable buttons, well-cured briar, and the absence of shellac type finishes that interfere with the pipe “breathing.” The $200 figure cited above is not a hard-and-fast rule by any means, but, in general, once you get above that level you are paying mainly for aesthetics/collectability.

Ian Walker of Northern Briars make a nice pipe, there’s something different about a hand-made pipe. Peterson makes a decent pipe also for not much money.

Bic type lighters seem to be the best to me. A pipe question for the experts: I’ve smoked pipes for about 30 years, but on and off. I know how to smoke one and am not a beginner in that sense. Thing is, I’ve never owned anything other than cheapish briars. The last two cost me 14 euros. Is there a difference in smoking a cheapy over a Dunhill or whatever? I’m perfectly happy with what I have - am I missing something? I have no interest in prestige brand names, but as I have got a little more interested in pipe smoking as I get older I wonder if I should shell out a bit. I suspect this is like asking if snuff is better out of a gold snuff box, but as I am no expert on piping I thought I would ask. Running out of snuff on holiday and buying a pipe to keep me sane has re-kindled my interest and I have been avidly smoking corner shop/gas station brands of baccy since I got back from Greece a couple of weeks ago.

I agree with what @tybalt has siad. I have 4 dunhill pipes and i guess you just have to smoke one to fully appreciate the workmanship. That being siad, my dunhill’s are all estate pipes bought of ebay for between 40 and 200 dollars. Oldest is 1929 and newest is 1969. Dunhill makes superb pipes, but i couldn’t see myself paying $500 for a new one when you can get a well looked after one which is essentually the same pipe for $120-$150. I do have a few cheaper estate pipes that have turned out to be really good though. I start every day with EMP in a small French bulldog that i paid $5 for.