OT: What Are You Reading?

I’ve been reading Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. Really love the books and the characters, but I’m stuck on Wolves of the Calla and can’t seem to make it past the prologue. 

If anybody out there is looking for some good detective stories, I highly recommend:

The Joe Gunther Series by Archer Mayor.

All about a detective who lives in Vermont.  Read them in sequence since there is an ongoing development of characters and interpersonal relationships between characters.

Archer Mayor is a real artist when it comes to painting pictures with words!

Currently reading ‘The Impossible Dead’ by Ian Rankin. It’s the second of his post-Rebus novels featuring DI Malcolm Fox.

“Doctor Dogbody’s Leg”  by: James Norman Hall (co-author of: “Mutiny on the Bounty”)

All about a salty old British sea surgeon (retired) who was in the British Navy during the American Revolution and Napoleonic wars. He would tell his cohorts in the taproom of Will Tunn’s Cheerful Tortoise (a seafarer’s pub in Portsmith) about how he lost his leg in action. The thing is… the story was different every time he told it!

A great collection of short stories!

@Walrus1985 & stogie:  The only pub I’ve been in with a name that comes anywhere close is “The Stone Toad.” It had a 4’ sculpture of a toad sitting beside the front door.

Cold Vengeance by Lincoln and Child.

I’d love to go in a pub called The Cheerful Tortoise. The wierdest pub name I’ve come across was in Chesterfield and it used to be called The Slug & Fiddle, but now renamed to it’s previous name The Crooked Spire, because it’s next to the Crooked Spire Church.

Stefan

@Walrus1985 I love all those names.  Sl much more creative than something like Jeff’s Bar.

I take it back…

My favorite pub in Milwaukee is “The Safehouse.”

All spy and espionage motif… A passer by wouldn’t even know that it was there because there is a humble brass nameplate that says “International Exports, Ltd.” You need a password to get in the door and everything! Say any word you like and they will let you in on your first visit. After that it’s: “I’m looking for a safehouse.” Use the correct password and you used to get a card that was good for a discount on one drink. 

If you ever go to Milwaukee, The Safehouse is a MUST SEE!

http://www.safe-house.com/   (click on the red door)

Those are fantastic pub names! We’ve got one locally called The Surly Wench… love it!

Rereading A Study in Scarlet right now

I am now on the second book in the Game of Thrones series. It took me the whole of the first volume to get comfortable with it and now I am an avid fan.

Philip Dicks The Divine Invasion.  Deep stuff.

Niwaki: Pruning, Shaping, and Training Trees the Japanese Way - Jake Hobson

Well if nothing else we are a very diverse group, from fantasy and religion, to tree pruning :-).

Stefan

Crime Does Not Pay Vol.2

I have just finished reading Preston&Child’s Cold Vengeance and am starting XO by Jeffery Deaver. I have many favorite authors but these are at the top of my list.

I see what you mean, and you said a mouthful, shikitohno. I don’t want to go into politcal discourse here, but just one thing I want to mention is that I thought Pol Pot was Cambodian.

You are absolutely correct.

Rereading: _ Aesop’s Fables _.

@Citra47 I remember that conversation. That was years ago! Shiki and I were both newbies here then. This thread has real staying power it seems.

Right now it’s Elizabeth Kostova’s The Historian.  We’ll see if I can finish it this time.  In a few weeks I should have some vintage Dark Shadows reads to complete before fall semester begins.