OT: What Are You Reading?

@howdydave those monks must’ve been intrepid to say the least, and bloody cold lol. Closest I’ve been to that is at Throssel Hole Buddhist monastery in the snow in December, bloody cold but v v peaceful.

Stefan

Polystom by Adam Roberts. SF. Very good. I haven’t read much of this thread, reading is so personal. I keep promising myself, tomorrow I will start Ulysses. LOL.

I’m reading “Webster’s Under the Bridge”  ;->

Lots of neat words in it but the plot line is hard to follow…

I have dropped everything else becuase I started “A Game of Thrones” finally.

My System by Aaron Nimzovich

CHESS!!!

Monastic Wisdom – The Letters of Elder Joseph the Hesychast

ISBN: 0-9667000-1-5

Pride, Prejudice and Zombies.  Fun and easy read.

Nearly finished reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, an extremely long winded book I must say

The 14th Book of Pan Horror Stories.

The Bhagavad Gita

I’m about to start “A Lion Among Men,” the third book in the “Wicked Years” series by Gregory Maguire. 

The Northern Thebaid… Monastic Saints of the Russian North
Compiled and translated by: Fr. Seraphim (Rose) and Fr. Herman (Podmoshensky)

ISBN: 0-938635-37-9

We’re talking about guys who went away out into the wilderness and wetland country in the far north of Russia between the 14th and 18th century.

(The Thebaid was a desert in Egypt where Christian Monasticism first sprouted in the fourth century.)

Haven’t heard those names in a long while. I bought Fr Seraphim’s book on the Orthodox teachings on death and dying (ascension through the watchtowers and all) when I visited St Herman’s Monastery in Platina, where he is buried.

On the end table now: Patrick O’Brian’s “Ionian Mission” (the one in which the Doctor Maturin’s sloth is debauched by Capt Aubrey), Marcus Borg’s “Speaking Christian,” and the “Oxford Book of Card Games” (wicked fun).

The Tin Drum by Günter Grass.

Usually jump around a lot, lately have been stuck on Martin and started book four in the Song of Ice and Fire series which is A Feast for Crows.

I’m also in the middle of DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Dr. Rick Strassman and Postmodernism, Or, The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism by Frederic Jameson.

Pharmako/poeia by Dale Pendell

For daily readings…

A Psalter for Prayer
(An Eastern Orthodox Psalter published by Holy Trinity Monastery {Russian Orthodox} in Jordanville, NY)

ISBN: 978-0-88465-188-8

Remember Thy First Love
The Three Stages of the Spiritual Life in the Theology of Elder Sophrony

By: Archimandrite Zacharias

ISBN: 978-0-9800207-2-4

I’ve been reading Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. Really love the books and the characters, but I’m stuck on Wolves of the Calla and can’t seem to make it past the prologue. 

If anybody out there is looking for some good detective stories, I highly recommend:

The Joe Gunther Series by Archer Mayor.

All about a detective who lives in Vermont.  Read them in sequence since there is an ongoing development of characters and interpersonal relationships between characters.

Archer Mayor is a real artist when it comes to painting pictures with words!

Currently reading ‘The Impossible Dead’ by Ian Rankin. It’s the second of his post-Rebus novels featuring DI Malcolm Fox.