What do you play?

Reviving an old thread here, if only to announce that after decades of inactivity with regard to musical instruments (growing up I played piano and saxophone), I have once again gotten the bug.  I bought an inexpensive starter package for acoustic guitar, including guitar, gig bag, picks and instructional CD-ROM, and am practicing daily.

I’m not doing it for any reason other than my own amusement and edification, so if nothing comes of it, no big deal.  But who knows?  I may actually learn to play halfway decently, eventually.

It shocks me that playing a musical instrument isn’t considered part of being normal. It used to. There is a joy in playing music that surpases things like making money from it or being able to impress people. These things are nice but the joy of making music is a special thing. And anyone who is more concerned with fame or money then the joy of playing and instrument isn’t going to be likeily to be very good at it.

Also playing a musical instrument increases the size and activity of the corpus callosum which conects the left and right hemispheres of the brain. Because you have to use both sides of your brain to play an instrument. So for men it gives you womans intuition and increases your chances of success with the opposite sex (even if they never hear you play). So my point it’s kind of like working out doesn’t matter if you get to be a famous athelete it’s still good for you.

I play guitar ALOT. I also play bass and piano and I played those before guitar but now I identify as a guitar player. I don’t have any wish I didn’t get rid of that stories because I have GAD along with TAD and I collect both with no intention of getting rid of either.

http://youtu.be/imtXn1VDLqE

I play bass in my band ASTRUM. This is a live clip here.

Celtic harp, well an inexpensive Pakistani copy of one, played very poorly, but I enjoy it.

Wow lots of musicians here. I play guitar And mandolin

I am a guitar player turned baritone ukulele player.

Yes, I play blues guitar, manly slide.  Have an album out if anyone is interested :slight_smile:

I play bass and guitar and sometimes will write in software too. Gigged from 19 till I was about 28 in various projects. Just picked myself up one of the new fender marauders and a mustang 3 amp. been asked to join two new projects so it may well happen again. I get very fussy. I won’t just play, it has to really exite me musically to want to do it. Could never go the covers band route it would bore me to tears

I played bass for about 10 years in various metal bands, later had to quit as work took it´s toll in sparetime :(  have to find a bit to start playing again!

I bought a ukulele a couple of years ago, thanks to a thread that was started on here. I’ve played a few sets, and am improving, I’ll never be a Jake Shimabakuro but I really love that instrument. I’ve had a guitar for years but could never get into it, for starters my hands were to small, so a ukulele was perfect. Also play harmonica at a good standard.

Stefan

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=349695771754110

This should work one electronic song I made a while ago. Primarily I’am a musician secondily I’am a bass player. :slight_smile:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=349686261755061

@TomStrasbourg:  I can identify with the GAD, even at this early stage.  I haven’t even had my guitar a week, and already I’m drooling over pics of Taylors and Seagulls online. :slight_smile:

Been playing guitar for quite a while, and bought myself a 5 string banjo about a year ago. 

I’ve added a uke since this thread came out in 09. I was surprised to find it a nice little instrument to play Spanish type stuff on, on the lower register. First thing I transcribed was ‘while my guitar gently weeps’ although it doesn’t sound quite as good as the Jake Shimabukuro version;) 

I’m planning to get a Uke soon. It seems like such a fun little instrument.

If you can play the guitar it will take ten minutes to play by ear, obviously longer if you bother learning the chords, I just use it for doodling on and for that it is great. If you play lead it’s a nice finger exercising tool, which is mostly how I use it, no need to plug in, stand up whatever, I just pluck it off the the top of my bookshelf where it lives if I can’t be bothered getting my strat.

I used to play a trumpet, then I focused on my first love --SINGING! (I’m a bass.)

Mostly a cappella and close harmony. (I just LOVE Doo Wop and Barbershop.)

I have been know to dabble with a chromatic harmonica from time to time.