OT: What Are You Reading?

I prefer the dull Neil Gaiman personaly (that’s of course a joke)

I’m finishing up the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy. Pretty catchy storyline and likeable characters.

Beyond Exile, sequel to Day by Day Armageddon by J.L Bourne, also Game of Thrones.

yeah but you realize all these stories are just rip offs of the first story told around fires when people lived in caves. (sorry had to make fun of haters for a second).

They are all good against bad when you think about it, just different vehicles for that. I’m a sucker for zombie stuff:) 

that is true. When I saw Game of Thrones and Hunger Games and remembered people saying they’re both already been done. And I thought wow people can’t you tell that a plot outline is not a story and that the same plot outlines have been in use forever. It’s like saying that all rocks bands that write love songs are not orginal because look someone else already wrote a song about being in love and played it with guitars bass and drums.

@simongrant No, I haven’t had a chance to check out Brett Ellis until just now. I looked him up and read an excerpt from Imperial Bedrooms. I’m hoping to find a copy of his American Psycho at my local book store this coming Friday. Have you read anything by James Patterson?

Finished 11/22/63 and loved it.  I’ve read some reviews that were critical of the ending (which is typical with King’s books), but I thought the ending was very well done.

Stephen King - The Dead Zone

The Chronicles of Narnia. I bought the whole set in one volume, this is one series I never read as a kid, I was more a Tolkien buff, but really bloody good read actually.

Stefan

You’re in for a treat Stephan. I read those before I was old enough for Tolkien (Hobbit at 11, LOTR at 14) I think I had to “graduate” to Tolkien, so the Narnia books I read the year or so prior. Now I’ve said above, fantasy just seems dull to me since Tolkein with the exception of the Game of Thrones stuff which is newish, but Narnia will always have a place in my heart. I hope your collected edition puts them in order of publication and not that nonsense psuedo-chronological versions that were out not long back. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe should be first and the Magician’s Nephew shoulkd be sixth. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favorite and the Last Battle was rubbish, I wish I hadn’t read it, becuase I can’t unread it.

Stephen King’s The Stand

@xander, The Magician’s Nephew is 1st. I’m about half way through it. I think The Lion Witch and the Wardrobe is 3rd, I’ll have to check.

@googlebomb The Stand is a bloody good read, I think it’s my favourite Stephen King book.

Stefan

“The Stand” is one of maybe three books that I’ve read more than once. It got me started enjoying “post apocalyptic” types of books and movies.

The Stand is very good, but, personally, I think “It” is the best thing King has ever written.

@walrus1985 Heresey! Cease and desist without delay and read the books by publication order. C.S. Lewis must be rolling in his grave with all this revisionist history.

“The Stand” is my favorite King, and possibly, my favorite favorite. i recently recieved a fresh, free copy, due to “National Book Night”, whatever that may be. Finished 11/22/63 a few days ago, and i liked it. the ending was better that most of King’s books. I feel that many of his works are so immerising, any ending is a terrible one(i still say he dropped the Tower ending though). Now on to “Wind Through the Keyhole”.

I joined the Tolkien Society when I was 11 and didn’t have a clue what any of them were on about. I think they have a nice website now but in those days it was Xeroxed fanzines. The membership secretary sent me a letter partly in Sindarin. I remember a report of one of the ‘Oxenmoots’ where they formed a ring over Tolkien’s grave; a much deeper type of fanatic than I was. Strangely enough I can’t read him anymore, the only author that means a lot to me whose works I am kind of burned out on.

“The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet” by David Mitchell. Late 18th century Japan, Dutch traders, evil religious cult, spectacular writing! Also read his “Cloud Atlas.” The movie should be out late 2012. Pairs well with any traditional snuff.

“The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet” by David Mitchell. Late 18th century Japan, Dutch traders, evil religious cult, spectacular writing! Also read his “Cloud Atlas.” The movie should be out late 2012. Pairs well with any traditional snuff.

Sounds really interesting never heard of it but it is going on the list of things to read at some later date. Better do so before seeing the movie.

I joined the Tolkien Society …Strangely enough I can’t read him anymore, the only author that means a lot to me whose works I am kind of burned out on.

That sounds precisily like how I feel about LEd Zepplin.