OT: What Are You Reading?

Three Chords for Beauty’s Sake and One To Pay the Rent…biography of Artie Shaw

Dublin phonebook. Looking for funny names.

Rereading Brave New World

Game of Thrones

Botchan by Natsume Soseki

Fearless Golf by Dr. Gio Valiante

@Xander Song of Ice and Fire is the novel series name. GofT, same name as the show is the first book.

Yeah I’m going to get those SoIE books and read them. Seems to be a strong trend towards it here for sure Fantasy has been disappointing to me ever since Tolkien. This seems something new though, the show is fascinating me, I guess because I like all the political intrigue,tactics, etc, and its not too heavy on the fantastical element. Need to read some Zizek too, smart dude for sure, but I’ve been putting of reading serious books lately.

@shikitohno: As a philosophy grad, I’m not sure I would recommend reading Aristotle first to get a start in philosophy.  Aristotle’s “works” are actually lecture notes from his student that were translated back a forth a few times over the centures.  They are notoriously difficult to read, though immensely fascinating if you can stomach it.  If you are wanting to get a good ground in philosophy by reading on your own, I’d recommend starting in the middle.  Check out Descartes, Locke, Hume, Leibniz & Hobbes.  If you really want to start at the Greeks, check out Plato or get a good collection of the Pre-Socratics.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Aristotle, but he’s not nearly as approachable as some of the others.

I just finished Clash of Kings and am waiting for a copy of Storm of Swords.
In the meantime I’m reading Darwin’s Dangerous Idea by Daniel Dennett

Thomas Hobbes is buried 7 miles from me, in a hamlet called Ault Hucknall. George Stephenson is buried in Chesterfield, in a church just off the “doughnut” roundabout, as everybody calls it. And somewhere on my grandma’s side we are related to Florence Nightingale. Sorry to be totally OT, just thought I’d have a ramble lol.

Stefan

I’ve seen a documentary called Darwin’s Dangerous Idea didn’t know it was also a book, I’m going to look into getting that one.

Just finished Under the Dome by Stephen King…outstanding story.  When King is on his game there is no one better.

@BigSnoot McSnuff  - You’re right, Under the Dome was great.

I’m about halfway through Stephen King’s 11/22/63.

Halfway through 11/22/63 as well(my library sourced this instead of Wind Through the Keyhole, wife said “new Stepen King” this is what I got). The readability of Stephen King is second to none, imo. Duma Key was a little thin and the Last Tower book was as well. I believe King was faced w/his own mortality(getting run over tends to do that), and fired through the end of Dark Tower, just to please the fans and to not leave it unfinished.

JEREMIAH

Ploughing through some Nietzsche. Wow, quite vitriolic!

Dark Moon Rising by Raven Kaldera. Wonderful book if you have the stomach for it.

@Xander My favourite fantasy books, excluding LOTR,

The Demon trilogy by Terry Brooks

The Many Coloured Land, 4 book series, by Julian May

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson

G of T seems pretty good - I’ve not made up my mind as to whether I can still get through this type of book anymore or if I lost the knack at 18 when I finished the last Covenant book. When he brought out the last couple of books rounding the Covenant series off I just felt like I had wasted my time.

I read the LOTR so many times, and was in the Tolkien Society at 11 that all I can do these days is read my favourite bits, I just can’t get through it from cover to cover again.

I just finished The Child Thief. A dark Adult version of Peter pan. Surprisingly good

The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky