Swedish match/Arnold Andre Kensington

I received this snuff as a pot luck and its very interesting. I haven’t had a snuff quite like it, but I haven’t played with South African snuffs either. I google searched and it has scant been mentioned on this site.

What do you guys think? Its a swedish owned south african produced englsh snuff? The lineage alone should draw a crowd.

I like it, it has a burn that defeats my menthol tolerance which is quite nice.

Joseph & Henry Wilson were the first to introduce Kensington to the market, which later was bought by Swedish Match. As I believe it was first produced in Holland (like most of the SM snuffs) and later, after buying Leonard Dingler, transfered to South Africa. Swedish Match is a complicated organization.

Nothing special about Kensington really. A normal medicated snuff, but with a slight hint of citrus.

I was looking this up for the snuffwiki http://www.snuffwiki.com/Swedish_Match_AB, the Taxi brand is what they sell in South Africa mostly and are the second largest snuff producers there, but the majority of its users are women for some reason. The other three brands are aimed at Europe, but I’ve never heard of them - they’re Singletons, Rumneys and Kensington. Is it a proper snuff? I saw some reviews that say it’s like a cross between snus and snuff. Seeing as the company is from Sweden it doesn’t sound too surprising it might lean towards a moister snuff.

I’ll probably order some at some point just to try it, I want to try snuffs from all over.

The fact that most of the snuff made in South Africa are “a cross between snuff and snuff” is that most of the people use them both nasaly and oraly. It’s the same thing like with naswar.

The birth place of Singleton’s and Rumney’s is also England. The road of those snuff:

Dr Rumney - Illingworths - J&H Wilson - Snuff Tobacco Konstanz (Germany) - Swedish Matc h
Singleton & Cole - Illingworths - J&H Wilson - Snuff Tobacco Konstanz (Germany) - Swedish Matc h

Edit: And as I remember from an old thread on snuffhouse, South African snuff are bought by the women to dry their gentle parts for this purpose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry\_sex

yes filek is right and it used to be a popular practice in america during the 50’s in fact it’s what lysol was first sold for (I’am not kidding sadly.)

Lysol? Wow! That sounds pretty toxic!

yeah it does/

mmmm…kinky.

Pine? Orange? New car smell?

@Filek, thanks for setting the record straight… There seems to be a lot of confusion over these issues. Also I need to point out once again that Leonard Dingler were only in the Swedish Match family for a few years. They had a long and independent history, and have subsequently been sold to Phillip Morris. They have no connection to Swedish Match anymore, and have not for some years. The women’s lady parts business, I think might be an urban legend. Women are the traditional primary purchacers of snuff in rural South Africa becuase its considered unseemly for them to be seen smoking. The US, UK and India have had similar histories.

At any rate Kensington is pretty nice stuff. I pretty much just get a moderate dose of eucalyptus, not a load of menthol if any.

nope it’s documented and is a major problem.

@bob you gotta link us man.  I need read about dry sex, but they were using all sorts of other crap to achieve, I however could find no mention of lysol or an american dry sex connection. Just link us up.

Snuff.me.uk has just restocked this great snuff. Renamed to Kensington Traditional Snuff, label and dispenser changed some years ago, otherwise it’s the same good old Kensington, high both on menthol and nicotine. The dash of lavender oil makes this strong menthol snuff really special. Eucalyptus is present there, too.

Now made by Scandinavian Tobacco Group.

http://snuff.me.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=AK

Evolution of Kensington dispenser:

evolution of kensington dispensers

2 Likes

@volunge that sounds wonderful. Shame about the dispenser I have previously bought all the offerings on snuff.me that listed the one in the middle but have only received the one on the right. Thinking specifically about Rumney Export snuff, of which I have 3-4 and do enjoy. That’s made by the same firm I believe

@ar47 yes, Kensington, Edelprise, Singleton’s (the one in a round tap tin) and Rumney’s Export are all made by the same manufacturer.

Some twenty years ago a classmate of mine gave me away that oblong tap box of Kensington (just like the one on the left in the picture above; almost full it was!). Having tried only some Poschls before, I got my very first lesson of how painful taking properly mentholated snuff might be. Loads of potash and absence of paraffin makes it an instant hard kicker.

1 Like