Anyone make homemade snuffs?

I’ve made everything from Amazonian Indian style green tobacco snuff to heat fermented rappee.  Haven’t bought any commercial nasal snuff in over five years. 

I’ve been growing and grinding a homemade snuff for 2 seasons now.  Here on the east coast of the US, I’m about 3 weeks away from seed starting for the 2012 season.  Seeds start germination in the last week of March, and go outdoors on May 15th.

A very rewarding hobby. Good luck to you!

I’ve actually been thinking of trying to get a few plants to grow, in a 5gal bucket on the patio… Couple Virginia, and a burley… Kinda hard though without seeds…lol… every listing I’ve seen for seeds is for like one hundred this… or 250 that… and frankly, I dont need but about 10 of each to do what I want… I keep looking for that just right listing though.

I’ve experimented a little with making snuff from pipe tobacco, with fairly good results.  It sounds like others here have taken the experiment a good deal farther than I have, however, and I tip my hat to them.  The only advice I can give is this:  the quality of the snuff begins with the quality of the base tobacco you grind.  You’re unlikely to get good results using the cheap stuff.

Yeah… I’ve noticed this with grinding pipe tobaccos… if I dont care for the pipe tobacco smoked, I will seldom enjoy it ground up…

I wanted to know if there is somewhere a recipe for making snuff with brandy or strong alcohols more generally.

I have a project for collecting fine products in order to do it.Thanks for a link or a recipe.I’ll write an history and rewiew about it,of course.Thanks.

:slight_smile:

I’ve been at it for a while but because of my late wife’s illness, I did not give it any though for more than a year now…

http://snuffhouse.org/discussion/2711/thank-you-pieter-for-the-wonderful-eagle-tobacco-and-the-amazing-karoostof

Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble!!!

Oh, Pieter! Are you at work on another project? Looking forward to it!

Wow Pieter! Seems you got some mad snuff-making skills! *thumbs up*

This is probably a really stupid question so please do not laugh but… Can snuff be made from chewing tobacco? I only ask because I have around 20 -30 ounces of the stuff kicking around. It is still very moist so guess the first challenge would be drying it out, but is it even worth considering?

@Clootie, chewing tobacco makes excellent snuff!!  Open it up and let it dry completely.  I prefer air drying but not in direct sunlight.

You can’t go wrong with this.

@ Pieter, thanks for the tip. Don’t feel so stupid now. I’ll let you know how I get on. Have mostly peach baccy but also have a pack of wintergreen which should be interesting.

Just something to bear in mind; when you use store bought tobacco products you are using processed tobacco - so factor that into your receipes. Most snuff made from raw tobacco has some level of added ingredients to enhance flavour and nicotine uptake - commonly salt and bicarb. Processed tobacco, especially for smoking, especially cheaper products, can have a cocktail of stuff added. Whenever I have made snuff from store bought tobacco I have kept the manufacturing process to simple milling, hydrating and flavouring and left out things like salt and bicarb - for snuff made from RYO tobacco that approach has worked out fine. I have never tried the American Spirit products but I understand they are additive free - if that is the case it seems like a good base for homemade snuff.

Have any of you folks tried making snuff out of Gauloises rolling tobacco? I used to love French cigarettes, and I wonder what snuff would be like from that tobacco.

The King B Sweet rope chewing tobacco is the one that I started out on… It starts out pretty dry though, and has no other flavors other then tobacco and what I can only assume (based on flavor) is Molasses.  But it self, it wasn’t half bad… Mixed 2 parts KingB Sweet with 1 part Bruton Scotch, makes a nice snuff that I’ve been enjoying.

Rolling tobacco makes tasty albeit expensive snuff. I have used the American Spirit Perique blend. Alkalizing and salting would be a good idea. Mine was good but I did not do it right and grew some mold in it very quickly. 

the mold seems really odd. It must have had a lot of moisture.  I just can’t imagine it up and growing mold spontaneously. 

Last summer we had a few weeks of 90-100 degree weather with 100% humidity.  It was ungodly. We had doors on our houses covered in mildew.

No, it was my fault. I over humidified it because it was much better to take that way.

http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Home.html

This site has tobacco for sale for those who don’t have the time or property to grow their own.

edm