The RPG Thread

I got cheap and went for a 3rd party XBOX controller and I love it.  It’s great for Console -> PC ports, and it’s even better if you run any emulators at all.  If you have bluetooth on your system, you can also use a PS3 controller.  I like those better, but the only computer I have with Bluetooth is my mac, which is old and sucks eggs for most games.

Hmm I’ll have to read all that slowly and carefully… If I recall, I went through a calibration(if that’s the right term) process, also I think it was the kind of deal where it includes a mini rom disc, but for some reason it just didn’t work right- I think it worked for one of my games but not the other two. All I know off the top of my head here is that I’m on an hp dv7-4080us notebook with windows 7 and a intel i7 proc. I don’t know if it has any bluetooth function for sure, but I don’t think so. I should take a remedial PC class anyways- a lot of computer talk goes over my head. But my gut decision is to probably buy the usb xbox controller and take it from there, bummed I lost the receipt from the other one.

I’m hooked on Dark Souls these days ( PS3 ), it’s really really cool. More action and less talking… Really great game.

My new computer shipped almost a week early, and should be here on Friday! *nerdgasm*

If that thing won’t run Zork, nothing will.

I’ve got a Logitech controller that was recognized by Windows 7 without any problems whatsoever.  You may want to go to the Logitech web site and see if they have an updated driver for your controller.  That may very well solve your compatibility issues.

There probably is some kind of fix for it, that would save you from having to buy another one.

But the PC Xbox360 controller is brilliant. When I bought a new laptop I decided to give some games a go, and that’s perfect. It’s so much more comfortable than a keyboard, and it’s compatible with all games that accept controllers - it’s made by Microsoft for Windows so game designers make it with that controller in mind when they’re designing their games that why when you sometimes have top change it to ‘controller’ on the menu screen it has a picture of the Xbox controller. Just plug it in and go.

Thank’s guys! I’ll probably just take the plunge, I think I like the looks of the xbox one anyways.

Anybody going to buy a PS Vita?

I am WAY old school, the last RPG I played was Dungeons & Dragons, with books, dice & pencils and paper :slight_smile:

Been playing Skyrim lately on my 360, my favorite RPG yet. Always been a fan of all the Bethesda rpg’s. Being able to become a werewolf is a pretty fun addition from just only a vampire like oblivion. And not to mention, killing dragons heh

SnuffSniffer, I only played on paper once with some older friends, but maybe could have or still could get into it. But I’ve liked some on the PS1, PS2, PSP, Gameboy Advance etc.

Captain Snuff, I’ve got to get that on my PS3!

Ive been playing SIlent Hill Downpour, not an RPG but fun none the less. Next Ill be on the Silent Hill HD remastering of 2&3.

Is that on PC or a console?

though captain this time around the vampire option is hugely disapointing and annoying. You don’t feel very vampire like. My things regen slower and my stats suck more barely (and not noticably) wow at night I’ve got better stealth? Nope feels more like being a night person who just prefers the dark cause they feel better then.

I took a break from Skyrim for a bit, and have been playing Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition.  Great story, but I’ve had a hard time adjusting to the game mechanics.  Four characters just doesn’t seem enough to form a well-rounded party, and the approval-disapproval system for party members is confusing.  Yet despite the frustrations, it’s enjoyable enough to keep me coming back for more.

One RPG that I love is Etrian Odessey on the DS. It’s v v v old school, you have to draw your own maps and basically see if you can get to the bottom of the labyrinth. It is punishingly difficult and takes a lot of time to level up, but if you don’t mind grinding for literally days at a time, you’ll like it. You get out of this game what you put in, and when you have mapped a full level there is a real sense of achievement, a very niche market game but well worth it IMO.

Stefan

dragon age combat is great. It’s kind of hard to figure out at first. Once you get the swing of it and get higher levels it’s easy to make several balanced parties. It’s just a little trickier.

Stefan- I’ll have to look for that, I played the old FF games for the GBA, a handy thing to have…

@Mr.O it is well worth it if you like an 80’s style rpg, but like I say it is v v v difficult, as one reviewer on amazon said it’s like the game thinks, “well you haven’t died for couple of hours so now you will”. Somebody mentioned Chrono Trigger above. I started playing it last night for the 1st time ever, I didn’t get to bed till 7 this morning that’s how good I found it, bloody brilliant.

Stefan

Stefan. Yeah, I love the old turn based games, with just enough strategy, not the ones played on a grid etc., not where you must use perfect timing to get a critical hit. So anything like that I’d probably try and like. Are you brutally punished for dying? Just curious… I believe I mentioned Chrono Cross/Chrono Trigger, I’ve got one or the other, and a few other PS1 games that I haven’t really gotten very far into yet, such as Legend of Dragoon… Some of them I might be willing to part with once finished, if there’s one you’ve been looking for let me know, maybe I’ll have an available copy.