Bloodpressure Smoking v.s Snuffing

If you are quitting because you think snuff leads you to smoke it’s probably because - like a lot of people - you might not take enough to really experience the nicotine in snuff. Try taking a baked bean size pinch in each nostril as often as you would have a cigarette. It’s only by using it like that that you get sufficient nicotine to compete with smoking.

If you really think you should cut out nicotine do exactly what Whalen says - get some medical advice and make some changes - but make them sustainable; it’s no use quitting and then jumping straight into an insane training programme - you will just end up smoking again. And don’t forget that we are not doctors.

Great advice all. Particularly to whalen. I really appreciate hearing it from someone who has been there. I am on a low carb diet and I am slowly increasing exercise. Having a dog really helps me get out and take him for a walk. Plus I bring a pipe along so what’s not to like about that!

There’s a reason they call high BP the silent killer. No visible symptoms until the shit really hits the fan. Also a thorough blood pressure check includes both arms. If your doctor only checks one arm ask him to check the other too.

I can only cite my own experience, but while I was smoking and on meds my BP used to average about 150/95 Every visit since I changed to snus and snuff has averaged around 140/75 with the same meds.

I also have high blood pressure, controlled by medication.  When I was smoking, it was always a struggle to keep it under control, even with the meds.  Now I get normal readings every time.  (But I’m still on the meds.)

From what I’ve read of the available medical research, cigarette smoking causes an abrupt spike in blood pressure, and your BP can stay elevated for as long as an hour or two, after only one cigarette.  Yes, snus and snuff also raise BP, but much more gradually, and probably to a lesser degree than cigarettes.  It’s still important to monitor and treat BP, but from what I can gather, it appears that snus and snuff are still safer than cigarettes.

To ease the strain on your heart caused by the vasocontriction, which is the main contributor to your bp increase from tobacco products you can use a blood thinner.

Rather than drink, which I too like many of you used to have a problem with and have quit is to use counteractive drugs.

Chiefly, take aspirin, fish oil, and drink a glass of grape juice a day(real grape juice).   Not only do those things have blood thinning and BP improving qualities, but also the fish oil and aspirin can reduce your risk of heart attack and the effects of saturated fat on your vasculature. You shouldn’t have to consult your doctor about adding those 3 things to your diet.

Happy and healthy snuffing gents.

+1 for JohnnyFriday’s recommendations.  I do not do the grape juice, in particular, but all three are good recommendations.  The only caution, of course, re: aspirin, is if you are currently taking blood pressure meds or blood thinners … you may want to check in with the doc.  But my guess is if you are on blood thinners, your doc has discussed aspirin protocol with you.  Happy Health!

I mix cayenne pepper with a little water and drink. I take one quick gulp then chase it with a glass of pure water leaving no capsaicin in contact with my mouth. Simple and effective. 

I do the aspirin regimen also, but I switched from fish oil to flaxseed oil.  No awful fishy taste, and a lower environmental impact.  (The primary fish species used to make fish oil capsules is becoming endangered.)

Hey PipenSnusnSnuff … I do think there is debate on the efficacy of flaxseed nowadays … I once took flaxseed as well … Recent research has established that the conversion of flaxseed oil to EPA and DHA is completely inefficient and ineffective in humans, flaxseed does little to raise the body’s EPA levels and nothing to raise DHA levels. I get not liking the fishy taste … i don’t tend to get it as much with the brand Wholemega … but, in this regard, to each his own, flax seed or fish oil.  But I only bring it up because just like all research - coffee, fats, wheat, carbohydrates, etc - relating to diet and health, information changes so quickly, even after years of all of us adopting a new recommendation.  I think the research on fish oil, though, is sound … and is one of the best supplements any of us can take … and should take, if not eat more fish.  Just my opinion.

Interesting thread! 

Health screening at work… My BP went from a very respectable 118/85 last year… to 128/82 at this year’s test.  Still respectable for someone of my age (approaching 52).  They want less than 130/85, or you are “at risk”.  These readings are just a snapshot at one specific point in time and lots of factors can affect BP (including age and poor genetics - that’s me)  I’m concerned that upper number is up 10 points.   The only real difference in my situation is one year older and snuff use (maybe up to 5x/day).  I was/still am light pipe/cigar smoker -maybe 3x/wk.  

NO, I’m not medically trained… but I think all the factors to consider are on a continuum of effect.  Light use = light effect… many factors, heavier use = heavier effect.  High numbers… 130, sure, higher than the doc would like but not too bad… 150… much more concern!  …and more need for more dramatic action to reduce BP  - or face the risk involved.

I do need to get check up with doctor soon - (the dreaded colonoscopy is past due :-S).  and we’ll talk about aspirin, bp meds, nicotine & caffeine effects, diet, exercise, blah, blah, blah  etc… and I will decide the risk:reward action to pursue with his advice in mind.

I attended a seminar about 4 years, ago and the researcher also stated that flax was basically of no value for omega 3s. However, used in icecream as say a granola institute is great. I use it to make my thinking time a lot more productive ;).

Also on fish oil, I use the gel caps… I don’t get any fish taste.

Also, the reason I mentioned grape juice is that a documentary I watched a couple of years ago said that it was just as good as wine for blood pressure/vasodilation etc. And its fricken delicious especially welches.

@JohnnyFriday if you like Welches you should try Temptation Concord Grape snuff it tastes just like Welches

Thanks @n9inchnails. Ive got it in the post already.  Im going to mix it with toque peanut butter and make sammiches in my nose.

@JohnnyFriday …dude, that is brilliant.

I eat tons of tuna and anchovies. Every day. I rarely cook without them so I think I have the fish oil intake I need. I have in the past also had an aspirin regimen. I go through phases of aspirin use because as helpful as it can be, it’s a heavy drug on the gastric system. When I gave up heavy use of alcohol, suddenly, my doctor became very worried. My BP was 180/100. He was amazed I hadn’t stroked out. Once a week or two had passed, my BP dropped to 130/80. If you’re a heavy drinker, make sure you seek your doctors help. He will closely monitor your BP.

You’ll hve to read the fat content of your fish to get an idea of how much oil you’re actually getting(tuna in oil is not packaged in fish oil as I recall, so it will be misleading). Also, watch out for mercury, I love tuna as well, but im a little scared if the mercury.

Holy crap what a bunch of replies this morning guys! Many many thanks :slight_smile:

I am already on medicine now  and I already use 2 Fish-oil a day, 2 multi-vitamins, and some others. I guess I also need to give it some time, and RELAX about it :slight_smile: I just want keep snuffing to keep my need for nicotine under control. I just started running again, nothing crazy - Just 30 minutes every other day on a slow pace to build it up again. I almost quit drinking totally … which already makes me feel much better.

Thanks again guys!

And @ Whalen : Thanks for your story and advice - I will talk to my doctor again. I hope you are well and  keep well these days.

Just got back from my GPs. Asked for a BP test. Right arm: 138/81 Left arm: 127/78 Excellent results. I’m so glad I gave up smoking and boozing!!!