The RPG Thread

I’ve got FFVII and VIII, and have heard mixed reviews about FFIX. Has anyone played it? Is it worthwhile?

Quite an excellent post @shikitohno .  I love reading though that stuff, I speak the language :-P 

As for RPG’s, haven’t worked on mine in awhile, but I really want to get it Demo ready so I can upload to MegaUpload or something and post the link here for people to test :-P 

Xenogear from PS1 era is a must play~  For PS2, the first Xenosaga game is another good choice (Xenosaga II really sucks, the third game is better but not as great as the first Xenosaga game)

Recently, there have been a lot of great RPGs for PS3 as well. I just finished playing Dark Souls and Mass Effect 2. Both games are AWESOME!

I’d play that mike

Dark souls is great. Really old school in the way that you have to figure out what you are doing. I reccomend not looking up info online as it kills some of the specialness. though that guy that eats items makes me happy.

I have heard nothing but amazing things about Dark Souls. I’m starting to think I should give it a go if I can ever afford it o.<

That guy who eats items wouldnt talk to me. so I attacked him and he disappeared.  I looked it up online, and I was pissed.

You guys use ps3?

PSN ID: JohnnyFriday

Excellent!  Then I will make a working Demo this weekend when I have time and I will do the whole Upload thing.  I’d love to hear Criticizm and Feedback regarding my game.  The graphics are nothing special, something you’d see in Gameboy LOL .  If you have ever played Fable 1, then it’ll be a LOT easier for you to understand.  My games story is based around Jack of Blades, the villain from Fable 1 .  He is my favorite game villain of all time, and I thought I would make a game in tribute to the awesome character.  I am very pleased with it so far, and I would love to continue to work on it, if I had more time lol.

Yeah I’m running a PS3, also never got rid of the PS2. I’ve got the first Xenosaga, and another, don’t recall which. I’ll check out Dark Souls and ME2 sometime. My friend raves about Dragon Age 2, but is that more action-rpg’ish? I gotta get Skyrim and see what all the buzz is about. Also I’m wondering if games like the Elder Scrolls are better on a PC or PS3…

MikeMoose- I’d do some beta testing if I can learn how to download it and stuff (I’m kind of a PC/Windows newbie)

@Mr. O: I really enjoyed playing FFIX.  Most of the complaints I heard about it were people who didn’t like the return to the less than realistic roots of the series in terms of character design and such, after FFVII and FFVIII were becoming progressively more and more realistic in terms of character and world designs.  IX returned more to the fantasy origins of the series, and that pissed a fair few people off for some reason.  This may be a bit controversial amongst PS1 RPG afficianados, but IX was my favourite of the PS1 Final Fantasies.  Granted, I haven’t finished Tactics, but they’re different varieties of game anyway.

@MrO  If you have a top-spec pc then go for the pc version of Skyrim.  I personally prefer the ps3 version.  Only bad thing on pc is that the controls are geared more towards the consoles.

@FlippinBird  Does your ps3 have problems with large save files on skyrim? For me, all bethesda ps3 games have problems in the later stages of games when the save files are large it starts to get very slow and sometimes freeze.

Thank’s for your input guys! What about some of the (relatively) more obscure PS1, PS2 titles? Saga Frontier, Tales of Destiny, Theads of Fate (more action/platformer rpg I guess), etc.

@FlippinBird:  For those of us that prefer the PC, one can pick up a console-type controller for PC without spending very much, which solves the problem of console-oriented control interfaces.  I bought a Logitech Rumble F510 gamepad from Amazon for about $35.  It’s perfect for Skyrim.

farming hint in Dark Souls. The guy that eats items gives you 100 souls per most items he eats some of these items can be bought for 10 souls you can carry 99 of this item. Just saying farming isn’t as dangerous as you’d think once you have access the tooth monster (that’s what I call him).

Not really single player mmos, but I play SWTOR and EQ2.

@johnnyfriday After this latest patch 1.4 i think.  I have had no problems, it actually runs more smoothly than in  the previous patch.

on a side note, I have been playing Breath of Death VII, it’s old school/final fantasy nes graphics and play style.  It is also quite funny, the game likes to make fun of other rpgs.

So, will anybody enlighten me about Steam? Or anything else valuable for PC gaming?

My dark souls farming spot was the bonfire you break into in the forest.  Well the door right next to the bonfire, there are like 3 hard enemies, but if you run in a quick circle they will follow you and you can stand on this cliff and they will climb above you and jump to their deaths for I think 3k souls each. That really changed my game as it was a total byatch to get any souls.

did that too. Now in the painting damn it’s tough there. But fun.

ahh, what can I say about soul farming in Dark Souls but that it provides hours of fun (not)~ Skyrim is a fantastic game too, sadly the feeling of not hitting the enemy dampens the fun a bit…

On the other hand, Mass Effect 3 is coming this March 6th! Can’t wait until I get my hands on it~~