Pinching Vs back-of-hand/anatomical snuffbox

I always use a spoon with the moist and coarse snuffs, and the back of the hand for most others. I find that pinching has become white difficult for me, probably because I’m so out of practice. With Toque Original, however, I find that pinching guarantees a coughing fit and insuffalating it too far into the sinuses. I find that the back of the hand method works best at mitigating this. I still cough pretty often though. Don’t know what it is about Toque Original that makes me cough.

I’m fascinated by how everyone’s experiences vary in this regard. I think it’s very dependent on snuff and snuffer-I guess we all end up falling into a routine in the end.

I’m basically with @Juxtaposer here…I don’t go outta my way to get it into a different container…but back of hand or its derivatives just don’t do it for me.

The boxcar/thumbnail method works well in the discression department if I am using a tapbox. Another benefit to the boxcar method should be noted by others with a moustache… It is easier to fit a thumbnail right underneath a nostril then it is to use the backhand method. This insures that more snuff actually gets into your nose. I suppose that the pinch would be even better, but I still don’t want to contaminate the snuff in my snuff box with sweat and skin oil.

I’m a pincher. I even pinch from the back of the hand after shaking from one of those wheelie gizmos from Silver Dollar or Ozona.

palm is better for pinching you can get a better grip in the snuff. Make a small bowl with your palm stretch you hand out when ready to pinch. Nice and clean compared to pinching from back of hand. Just my opinion snuff however works for you.

You’re right @bob . I hadn’t thought of that (duh). It is better for pinching, but not as good when it comes to snuffing up the residue.

I really like howdydave’s boxcar method, especially when I am outside and it is windy.

I use the boxcar method for HDT and tapbox snuffs, otherwise I use a good old pinch from the tin.

I do them all and there is really no rhyme or reason about it.

I double-pinch: first I take a pinch in my left nostril with my left hand, then one in the right nostril with my right hand.  

Only just tried the boxcar method for the first time. It works a treat! It keeps my fingers and moustache clean. Used to use the pinch for most and a spoon for coarse snuffs, but am a convert now, and am wasting a lot less from the wooden snuffbox. Cheers @howdydave !

I just pinch but that boxcar method works well.

For me it all depends on the cleanliness of my hands and the windiness of the day. If it’s windy/if my hands are mostly clean/if I don’t want to draw attention to myself, I pinch. If I’m indoors/don’t care what people think/if I have dirty fingers, I take it off the back of my hand. If I have really dirty hands but am indoors, I spoon. If I’m taking a really coarse snuff, I boxcar.  

@Bob – The thing is… your palm is liable to have a lot more sweat and skin oils on it. This causes a lot more adhesion of snuff to your skin (it never gets into your nose.)

I almost always use the back of the hand method, however for my drier snuffs i actually prefer to use a bullet. My bullet is my method of choice when im around other people.

howdy howdy dave. Yeah but it doesn’t have so much hair to get in the way (Yeah I’am a beast)

Pinching is my preferred method, as it seems to give the highest degree of control.  However, for snuffing large doses, or for coarse, moist snuffs, back of the hand works best for me.  Using a spoon, or the boxcar method, seems to be more related to specific occasions, such as using the boxcar method outdoors on a windy day (for which it is ideal).

If it’s in a tapbox, back of the hand.  If it’s in a tin, I pinch.  It’s as simple as that.

2 Likes

i find you get better distribution if you don sick you fingers to where they are touching your nose and you can use as much force as you want even with finer snufs though scent is reduced :confused: get more back drip like that too

1 Like