The RPG Thread

Playing Skyrim on the 360 and loving it.  I still play Final Fantasy 2 and 3, secret of mana, crono trigger, earthbound, and secret of evermore on my super nintendo.  I’m a big fan of RPG games.  Bigger fan of FPS games though.  I never really could get into super mario RPG so the only opinion I have on it is… I’m not a fan.  heh

ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST 

Awesome game.  Nuff said LOL .

I was actually over at a friends place on the weekend, we played some Donkey Kong Country on his SNES and sniffed some snuff.  Good combo!

My friend’s actually just beat Donkey Kong Country before we went over to his apartment.  Something about the Zelda games just doesn’t hook me, though.  Right now I’m stuck in an evil level on the first one.  I need to kill 8 or so blue Darknuts to advance, and even going in with full health and using my beam, the evil things kill me every time.

Link to the Past was an awesome Zelda, I think it may still be my favorite one.  My wife just bought me Zelda: Skyward Sword, but I haven’t given it a play yet.  I never really considered Zelda to be an RPG, but I enjoy them more than most RPGs.

I’m stunned that nobody mentioned any MMORPGs.  I started with Ultima Online on the original release day (WAY back when), I played that for eight years and really, really enjoyed it.  I hated FF XI, too much grind and bad times soloing imho.  I started playing World of Warcraft again after a couple years off.  They have really changed a lot, and I think the next expansion is going to cater to those of us who don’t live in a basement and have Blizzard plasma pumped directly into our veins.

The Zelda Series is more of an Adventure-Combat, not really an RPG at all…  But it is still great!

Ahhh yes MMORPG’s…  When I mentioned Dransik / Ashen Empires, THAT is an mmo .  To be honest I gave WoW a try…  Never grew on me LOL.  Glad I never got into it :stuck_out_tongue: .  It’s just not my thing…  I really use to be into mmorpgs and just rpgs in general but I just don’t have the time for them anymore…

But…  SKYRIM…  THAT game I have time for, and it is AMAZING!

Skyrim players, check this out:  http://www.dragonshoutapp.com/

Already available for iOS, soon to be available for Android, too.

@shikitohno -  I love me some Super Mario World. The RPG’s (i played on DSi) are fun. As well as the super-paper-mario series which had installments on a few different nintendo consoles! I have a cousin living in Troy. I live about 2 1/2 hrs drive north of there. I like the newer Zeldas better. The last two they’ve made, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword (still playing the latter) @Dogwalla - Definitely play some Skyward Sword when you get a chance. I’m enjoying it.

I used to be hooked on WoW. I had a level 72 mage in my prime. I stopped playing shortly after the Lich King expansion.  I got sick of paying for it every month. Wasn’t worth it to me. Still have a lot of friends playing it. Started playing a free mmorpg called Dragon Quest, pretty fun game. The combat is much better than WoW but I havent played that in a while now either.

Found out that I could get some older RPGs on my budget cell-phone (LG Cosmos II, for those it might help).  I’ve got Final Fantasy I and II on it at the moment.  And II is the real FFII, like in the Game Boy Advance Remakes.  It works okay, ad the music comes out nice if I put it on.  I’d rather be playing on a device with bigger controls, though.  Also, insane amounts of grinding are basically a requirement.  Though I suppose if you’re sitting at the train station with no other way to kill an hour, grinding would work nicely.

So later today I should be heading out and picking up a SNES.  I know about all the Final Fantasies and Chrono Trigger, but are there any lesser known gems for it that yo guys would recommend?  Apparently this place sells copies of Chrono Trigger for only $40 when they get it in stock.

I tried playing the Star Ocean ROM with the translation patch on it, but it was quite of spotty.  For example, item names just show up as gibberish characters.  May just have to buy a PSP to be able to play the official translation of that one…

I forgot about the Lufia’s though, I’ll have to look into them.

Lufia I and II, definitely good choices!

Unfortunately, I’ve got to do some testing once I can.  Either my TV is giving me issues, or I’ve been sold a bad console/cable.  

I’m also an RPG guy. Only offline so far. So far between the have played, and the have but not yet played: Golden Sun 1 & 2, Shenmue 1, The Bards Tale, FF 1-5, FF 7 & 8, FF 10 & 12, Legend of Dragoon,  Tales of Destiny, Okage, Grandia 2, Y’s Ark of Napishtim & 7, Chrono Cross (or is it Chrono Trigger? forgot), 3 of the Breath of Fire’s, Lufia (on the GBA), Lunar (GBA), Valkyrie Profile Lenneth (psp), Legend of Heroes 1 & 3 (psp), Star Ocean 1 & 2 (psp), Jeanne d’ Arc (psp), phantasy star (psp), elder scrolls IV Oblivion (pc), etc…also a bunch on the Ipod Touch (seriously, they have some good ones now- and most are cheap).

I favor old school turn-based games, nothing played on a grid really. And some action-rpgs. But not so much a hybrid of the two styles.

Would like any reccomendations for such on the ps2, ps3, 3ds compatable, and pc…

nice to let my geekiness vent here!

oh darn, I was hoping to come in here and see some DnD or World of Darkness talk. Guess I’m just old fashioned for my age, lol.

dark souls is awesome. I have not touched Skyrim since playing that one. It’s old school in that you have to really learn to play it and it won’t cut you so much slack you can’t feel proud of making it through a new area. Plus it uses death well. It’s a reward in this game. Creepy creepy dark game too. The story is minimal and more ambient then usal. Which is perfect near hopelessness and desperation with a sliver of hope doesn’t need much explination. Seriously if you can dig hard games you’ll love this one. Though younger gamers are often too whiny to play a game that doesn’t wipe for you.

Dark souls is on which platform?

Still play D&D every other Sunday…

Wish I could get the group back together :-((

most of them

Dark souls is xbox and ps3.

I have it and Demon Souls on ps3.  I havent beat either.  But when I was into them I loved em.

Fallout 1,2,3,New Vegas.

Fallout 2 is AWESOME if you dont mind the graphics. It has very adult themes, alot of swearing, drugs, prostitutes. Guns with upgrades/attachments. Insane number of endings.  I still go back to this game every 3 years or so(and its from like 1997!)  The combat is turn based.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSiZCU5SwBg&feature=related  mute your speakers first! crappy music ahead.

Starwars Knights of the Old republic 1 & 2. AKA KOTOR. Great RPGs,  I was never really into starwars at all, but when I played KOTOR I was like… this isnt that bad. KOTOR I think won game of the year in its time.

Oblivion was pretty cool, didnt get around to beating it. I will get skyrim eventually.  

I mostly play battlefield 3 now…