The RPG Thread

@level 69 you can just stand there and throw spells at the drangon.

@bob - yeah, I imagine (like Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout) that once your character gets to the high levels that you become a “jack-of-all-trades” of sorts and its actually hard for you to be killed by anything unless you’re not really trying to stay alive.

almost but no where near as bad. In fact just got killed. Doesn’t happen as much but…

actualy getting my ass kicked on the main quest. bandits are a joke though.

@jbruckus : If you would like to contribute in some way, maybe testing my Demo for me and giving me some criticism?  When I upload it and post the link here too I mean LOL, I still have too much going on at the moment to do anything.

@jbruckus: For both the Morrowind expansion packs, and for one of the Oblivion ones, Bethesda added geography that was not included in the original games.  Even then, it was only a section of Tamriel (or, in the case of Shivering Isle, a single plane of Oblivion).  But this is the first time they’ve given themselves such a massive amount of virtual space from the get-go.  It seems to me they must be planning to use the Skyrim engine for a long time to come.

Nope, never had a Dreamcast, though I’d like to grab one.  I played Grandia II on the PS2.  Decent game, but definitely a disappointment coming from the original.  Also, remembered the other day, I’ve got a Final Fantasy Tactics save to finish somewhere.  Played all the other PS1 Final Fantasies, so I figure I may as well finish the set.  I definitely think I would have hated this game as a kid, but I’m enjoying it for now.

@mikemoose - That sounds cool. Take your time with it. I look forward to the day I get to try it out!

@PipenSnusnSnuff - That sounds cool. Speaking of the Skyrim engine, I must admit I don’t see much of a difference between it and their last games. Part of me appreciates that they are building upon a good foundation because I do like the game engine and its nice that they are improving upon what they’ve done in the past (Where as some game series get shuffled from one studio to the next and certain installments may not resemble or play anything like the original or earlier installments) and the other part of me was,perhaps, expecting something different. I don’t see much difference between this and New Vegas, or Oblivion. They’ve added dual wielding, made it look a bit prettier, but the physics are still glitchy and unrealistic. Sometimes you bump into an object and it goes flying as if you punted it like a star football player lol

I have also encountered a game breaking glitch in the main story quest (my brother is also playing and said this didnt happen to him) where I had to keep reloading and old save and back track just to proceed. I finally got it to work but it took many reloads and was frustrating. Anbody else run into any serious glitches?

@shikitohno - If you like FF tactics, check out Knights in Nightmare. There was another great “tactical rpg” I played on DS not long ago but i can’t think of the title at this moment. Not sure what you’re preferred gaming system is but if you don;t own a DS, you can get them pretty cheap now that 3ds is out. It has one of the largest and most diverse game libraries of any system ever, well over 1,000 titles i believe.

get the updates man. It really helps with the bugs. And what can you expect from something so insanely huge. It’s amazing there aren’t more gltiches. I find the engine remarkably diffrent from the last one by so much.

@bob - don’t get me wrong. Love the series, and i really respect bethesda. As a long time gamer, I like to discuss these things with fellow gamers who know what they’re talking about. I’m not trying to be a harsh critic I just dont remember the last two entries being this glitchy and never had a game breaking glitch in either of them. I’m curious as to what you find remarkably different about it? I’ll have to get the updates.

If you are curious about the glitch, it had to do with the part of the main story where you have to enter the underground area of the one city and find that member of the blades (the guy who is very paranoid). I’d talk to him and when he spoke no audio came out but the text appeared. Even after choosing the correct phrases his door would not open. After reloading many times and back-tracking it worked by chance. I led him back to the woman and they would not talk to eachother so the mission wouldnt end. Had to exit the building, wait , save it, re-entered, and it worked. Have you had similar experiences?

man oblivion crashed way more for me. I got to the point of saving before entering certain areas. Have only had on glitch like that. Then again the up date really helped haven’t had any big glitches then.

then again I find it interesting the how it seems certain games crash and glitch more for certain people. I beat red dead without one glitch I’ve had games that no one complains about glitches crash chronicaly to the point of just giving up.

What are you playing Skyrim on? 360, PS3, PC? I played Morrowind on the original xbox. Oblivion and Skyrim on my PC. Red Dead is only on 360, right? Never played but heard great things. 95% of the time, PC games are more glitchy (which probably explains why mine seems more glitchy than yours if you’re playing the 360 version) because there are so many different hardware and software differences between various computers, whereas consoles are all the same. Yeah, in my experiences, almost every console game is going to run smoother than a pc game.

ah yeah 360

have to admit that I like dragon age 2 better. Especialy when played on the hard setting. It really makes you think about how to go into each combat which is way more fun.

I took a break from the RPGs this weekend, spent the last couple of days up in Troy, NY doing a weekend long birthday party for my friend up there.  Lots of fun to be had just having some drinks with friends and playing Super Mario World.  They’ve still got a working SNES up there, so we played quite a bit of it.  The other favourite there is Zelda, which I can’t say I like too much.  Anyone have an opinion of the Super Mario RPG, though?  I’ve been thinking of giving it a go for a while now.

Playing Skyrim on the 360 and loving it.  I still play Final Fantasy 2 and 3, secret of mana, crono trigger, earthbound, and secret of evermore on my super nintendo.  I’m a big fan of RPG games.  Bigger fan of FPS games though.  I never really could get into super mario RPG so the only opinion I have on it is… I’m not a fan.  heh

ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST 

Awesome game.  Nuff said LOL .

I was actually over at a friends place on the weekend, we played some Donkey Kong Country on his SNES and sniffed some snuff.  Good combo!

My friend’s actually just beat Donkey Kong Country before we went over to his apartment.  Something about the Zelda games just doesn’t hook me, though.  Right now I’m stuck in an evil level on the first one.  I need to kill 8 or so blue Darknuts to advance, and even going in with full health and using my beam, the evil things kill me every time.

Link to the Past was an awesome Zelda, I think it may still be my favorite one.  My wife just bought me Zelda: Skyward Sword, but I haven’t given it a play yet.  I never really considered Zelda to be an RPG, but I enjoy them more than most RPGs.

I’m stunned that nobody mentioned any MMORPGs.  I started with Ultima Online on the original release day (WAY back when), I played that for eight years and really, really enjoyed it.  I hated FF XI, too much grind and bad times soloing imho.  I started playing World of Warcraft again after a couple years off.  They have really changed a lot, and I think the next expansion is going to cater to those of us who don’t live in a basement and have Blizzard plasma pumped directly into our veins.