Pipe smoking

Glad to hear it has been a good experience.  Welcome to a wonderful new hobby, there is a world of different and delicious pipe tobaccos out there for your perusal.  Enjoy the journey!

Congrats on your new purchase, may it give you many years of happy piping!

Thanks guys enjoying it as we speak

Glad to hear the pipe is working out for you!  I’m a light piper myself, weekends only, but do enjoy it.  I’ve got a bit of Condor to try for the first time.  Of course, with the holiday coming up, I’ll probably have time this week to get in a couple of extra bowls!!

Hey again Re visited the smoke shop today and picked up a tin of dunhill early morning and some mcbarren navy flake. Tried the flake and enjoyed it, I think the 5100 seems a little richer in flavor. Anyway I have a question about storage. I have an airtight 8 oz jar that I used for some snuff that I emptied and cleaned and am drying overnight on a papertowel. I opened up the tin of EMP TONIGHT just to get a look at what a tinned oriental is like. I am Planning on emptying the tin into the jar tomorrow and just storing the navy flake in the bag it came in, in the Tupperware that holds tins of snuff. Is this sounding all right? And when I am ready to try the EMP I plan on pinching some from the jar and airing it out for 30 minutes or so and packing it. I don’t imagine I will let it age before trying it. I also have an idea for a blend I would like to cellar. Just 8 ounces of red cake and 8 ounces of a black cavendish. Anyone know any they would reccomend and what wOuld be suitable to store it in. Thank you everyone as always I appreciate all the answers to my novice questions.

All you really need for storage is an airtight container.  For long-term storage, like cellaring, a cool, dark place is recommended, but not absolutely necessary.

As long as the rubber gasket is pliable and not dried out, then Mason jars are great for storing tobacco in all its forms.

I 'm thinking of treating myself to a new pipe and baccy for xmas this year.
I’m a big Peterson fan and one of my favourites is my Irish Army.
Pack it with Two Friends English Chocolate and I’m good for hours!
But, I’m up in the air about 2 pipes. and some tobacco’s.

Perhaps some of you can help me make up my mind.

The Pipes

1. Brigham Voyager 3 dot.
  2. Peterson Aran 150 P-Lip

Big G.L Pease Fan!
just haven’t tried these. I’ve been getting into Balkans for about a year now. Just not sure what direction to turn next.

Tobacco
G.L Pease Ciro
G.L Pease  Haddo’s Delight
G.L Pease Robusto… this one interests me.

Any input will be helpful!

I would take the Peterson over the Brigham. All the Brighams I have seen are 9mm filter pipes. Filters are just one more thing to keep up with, and IMHO filter pipes draw funny. On the tobacco, I havn’t tried the Cairo. I love the Robusto. It is full bodied and rich, doesn’t really taste like a cigar, but it does taste good. I didn’t like the Haddo’s, but a lot of people do. It tastes like a vaper soaked in cheap brandy to me.

thanks for the reply @Nachman.
I was really interested in the Robusto review on smokingpipes.com.
Is there much presence of latakia and oriental?
would it work well with the short peterson I’m looking at or would it need a longer pipe?

It smokes cool, so it should be Ok in a short pipe. The flavour is sort of homogeneous. I can’t pick out the constituent tobaccos, so no real Latakia or Oriental presence to me.

Brighams pipes do not use 9mm filters they use a hollow rock maple filter that doesn’t restrict the draw what so ever and you can even run a pipe cleaner through it, they don’t actually filter the smoke but removes excess moisture which can drastically reduce tongue bite. And as for the Peterson I would get a System pipe, they are the most genius pipe design imo, I love my system pipes.

@n9inchnails
figures you would stick up for the canuck pipe eh?

the peterson is the p-lip not the fishtail… is that what your referring to?

@nightcap I’m referring to a Peterson System pipe, its a type of pipe like an Aran or Donegal are different types of Peterson pipes. System pipes are what put Peterson on the map so to speak.

right.

the P lip. as apposed to the fish tail.

Royal Yacht (chamber under the bowl, the gloop is meant to drip back down into the sump.)

@nightcap, I dont’ think P-lip and fish tail have anything to do with the system design.  They are bit designs that focus the smoke in different places.  A system pipe utilizes a moisture reservoir, I believe, to reduce wetness.

@nightcap

That’s my understanding as well.

@nightcap this is a system pipe

http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/system.html

All system designs include P-Lips but not all P-Lips are system pipes.