Pipe smoking

@Sly3904: that would be a straight billiard, and a mighty fine pipe.  A bent billiard would be Peterson’s 69 shape.  I almost got one of those sets about a year back but talked myself out of it for some reason.  I’m sure you will be quite happy with it.

@Ansel right now i enjoy a smoke in a clay and it works damn well

@Mrnose thanks for clearing that up. Should be here Monday, looks like I’ll be breaking it in with 5100.

Petersons are indeed very good pipes. Always a good value for the price, and something for every budget.

However, there is one problem with some brand new Petersons, and I believe the Donegal line was one of those affected.  For a while, the Peterson factory was dipping the entire bowl into a pot of wood stain, rather than painting the stain on the outside, as it should be.  Needless to say, when exposed to flame, the stain on the inside gives off nasty fumes.  So check the inside of the bowl before you use the pipe. If it’s the same color as the outside, sandpaper the inner surface down to the bare wood before smoking.

You may be lucky and get one of the pipes in which the stain was applied correctly, but I thought I should mention it, just in case.

That sounds like quite a problem. Maybe I’ll send it back thank you for the information. I did some further reading and found an interview with a head honcho at Peterson. He says that any pipe made in the last two years does not undergo the same staining treatment that used to take place. Corks are now placed in the bowl to prevent stain from seeping inside. I guess it’s just a matter of when the pipe was made. I sent an email to the seller on amazon but my bet is they won’t be able to tell me. I also read that a wipe down with a high proof liquor 4 times before smoking helps.

Well, if you don’t want to bother with cleaning out the pipe bowl yourself, it’s perfectly understandable that you’d want to send it back for a refund.  Since the sale was through Amazon, you are most likely dealing with a vendor who will oblige you.  But if you are willing to put a little work into it, you can still have a perfectly good, brand new pipe.  Eventually, you’ll have to ream out the bowl once in a while anyway, to reduce the amount of carbonized “cake” that builds up on the walls.  (You want to leave a little bit of cake – it protects the walls of the bowl.)

A thin coat of booze and/or honey on the inside of the bowl can help to start the proper cake.  It also kills any bacteria that may be hiding inside.  The liquor needn’t be high proof, however, and one coat is sufficient.  Adds a touch of pleasant flavor, too.

I wouldn’t worry too much about stain being in the bowl.  Yes, they are rather unpleasant to break in if they weren’t careful while staining but this will only affect the first ten bowlfuls maybe.  I understand people being unhappy about it, but if it is the pipe the you want and you like it otherwise, it will be just fine once broken in.  Ultimately a matter of personal taste.  I try not to buy Peterson’s that have been stained in this fashion but if it is the right pipe at the right price, the little bit of effort to get though it is worth it.  Also if you decide to clean it with alcohol, be careful to keep any off the outside of the pipe as this will ruin the pipe’s finish.  Happy Smoking!

the best tamper for a pipe is your thumb or other fingers depending on bowl size. Sure it burns at first but soon you’ll get the hang of it.

Agree with Bob. Fingers are the best tamper due to the light pressure they impart to the tobacco.

All right I am in the process of breaking in the Peterson now.  Looks like I got lucky, no stain in the bowl.  My half bowl of 5100 was very pleasant, and I have to say even nicer than the couple cheap estate pipes I had picked up last week.  Couldn’t quite smoke all the way to the bottom I guess I the bowl had got a little wet as I smoked a little fast outside in the rain.  I did make sure the briar was not overheated though and it was a great experience.  Nice lighting the pipe with the zippo as well, much easier to do in the wind than with a bic!

Thank you all again for the tips and suggestions along the way, I think I am actually going to be able to stick with it this time.

Glad to hear it has been a good experience.  Welcome to a wonderful new hobby, there is a world of different and delicious pipe tobaccos out there for your perusal.  Enjoy the journey!

Congrats on your new purchase, may it give you many years of happy piping!

Thanks guys enjoying it as we speak

Glad to hear the pipe is working out for you!  I’m a light piper myself, weekends only, but do enjoy it.  I’ve got a bit of Condor to try for the first time.  Of course, with the holiday coming up, I’ll probably have time this week to get in a couple of extra bowls!!

Hey again Re visited the smoke shop today and picked up a tin of dunhill early morning and some mcbarren navy flake. Tried the flake and enjoyed it, I think the 5100 seems a little richer in flavor. Anyway I have a question about storage. I have an airtight 8 oz jar that I used for some snuff that I emptied and cleaned and am drying overnight on a papertowel. I opened up the tin of EMP TONIGHT just to get a look at what a tinned oriental is like. I am Planning on emptying the tin into the jar tomorrow and just storing the navy flake in the bag it came in, in the Tupperware that holds tins of snuff. Is this sounding all right? And when I am ready to try the EMP I plan on pinching some from the jar and airing it out for 30 minutes or so and packing it. I don’t imagine I will let it age before trying it. I also have an idea for a blend I would like to cellar. Just 8 ounces of red cake and 8 ounces of a black cavendish. Anyone know any they would reccomend and what wOuld be suitable to store it in. Thank you everyone as always I appreciate all the answers to my novice questions.

All you really need for storage is an airtight container.  For long-term storage, like cellaring, a cool, dark place is recommended, but not absolutely necessary.

As long as the rubber gasket is pliable and not dried out, then Mason jars are great for storing tobacco in all its forms.

I 'm thinking of treating myself to a new pipe and baccy for xmas this year.
I’m a big Peterson fan and one of my favourites is my Irish Army.
Pack it with Two Friends English Chocolate and I’m good for hours!
But, I’m up in the air about 2 pipes. and some tobacco’s.

Perhaps some of you can help me make up my mind.

The Pipes

1. Brigham Voyager 3 dot.
  2. Peterson Aran 150 P-Lip

Big G.L Pease Fan!
just haven’t tried these. I’ve been getting into Balkans for about a year now. Just not sure what direction to turn next.

Tobacco
G.L Pease Ciro
G.L Pease  Haddo’s Delight
G.L Pease Robusto… this one interests me.

Any input will be helpful!

I would take the Peterson over the Brigham. All the Brighams I have seen are 9mm filter pipes. Filters are just one more thing to keep up with, and IMHO filter pipes draw funny. On the tobacco, I havn’t tried the Cairo. I love the Robusto. It is full bodied and rich, doesn’t really taste like a cigar, but it does taste good. I didn’t like the Haddo’s, but a lot of people do. It tastes like a vaper soaked in cheap brandy to me.

thanks for the reply @Nachman.
I was really interested in the Robusto review on smokingpipes.com.
Is there much presence of latakia and oriental?
would it work well with the short peterson I’m looking at or would it need a longer pipe?