Storing snuff

just been at WoS site, found there an interesting F.A.Q… But are they serious about storing snuff in refrigerator after opening the box? Sounds like a joke…

probably a bad idea actualy. Modern fridges are not very good for moisture retention.

The most important thing is an airtight container. If the container is airtight, no moisture will escape, and the snuff will stay fresh. I suppose storing snuff at cooler temperatures could possibly slow down any chemical reactions that would affect the flavor, but the main thing is moisture retention. I’ve got tins of snuff that are several years old but have a good seal, and the contents are perfectly fresh despite having been stored at room temperature.

Are the WoS metal tins airtight enough?

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=storing+site:snuffhouse.org&pbx=1&oq=storing+site:snuffhouse.org&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs\_sm=e&gs\_upl=15420l21000l4l21162l27l16l7l1l1l0l188l2064l2.13l23l0&bav=on.2,or.r\_gc.r\_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f2e3640de917052c&biw=1024&bih=679

Yes, the snuff that I was talking about above is WoS stored in the original unopened tins. They are pretty much airtight from what I can tell, and they have green tape around the join. You’ve reminded me to buy some wide mouthed mason jars. The tins fit in these jars nicely, and that would add an extra layer of protection to the snuff. I’m going to stack several tins in each jar for a really good airtight seal.

I think, the ideal snuffbox then will be a plastic tin for fotofilm. If could be found, ofcourse. Most fotographers now are using the digital cams.

Wide mouth Mason Jars

i have trouble keeping the aromas in my bulk purchases. I keep everything in a cigar humidor @ 70%-80% and still losing aromas from my SP’s. i threw a unopened bag of quit in the freezer as I will not get to it for a bit. but my 50g bags lose their aromas after 2-3 weeks.

Put them in mason jars or some other airtight jars and they will stay fresh for decades.

My girlfriend just ordered and got in the mail a set of containers from Lock and Lock. Once I looked at them I immediately swiped three from her. They are plastic but have gaskets so are airtight. The work like a charm, a little big but that just means I need to buy more snuff to fill them up. Here’s a link so you can give them a gander-http://www.target.com/p/Stain-Resistant-12-Piece-Square-Bowl-Set-25-13-Cups-by-Lock-Lock/-/A-12747267?reco=Rec_pdp_12747267_ClickCP_Adjacency They also come in glass with gaskets if you don’t like plastic.

@greencrow - those seem decent. I have some schmalzlers and some Molens in some similar containers that are a couple years old and they are fine. Most of my collection are in ziplocked sandwich bags which are then placed into larger freezer bags (i push all excess air out of the bags before i seal them) and stored in a cabinet. I’ve heard dark, cool places are best.

Guys, isn’t a snuffbox supposed to be carried in a pocket? Try to put there those jars.

@jbruckus- They do seem to work well and are tight with no smells coming out. They are leak proof for sure. I put water in one and then turned it every which way with no leaks at all.

what about these? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-CLEAR-AIR-TIGHT-GLASS-JAR-stash-heavyweight-seal-5oz-/180752453672?pt=LH\_DefaultDomain\_0&hash=item2a15af9028 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/36-oz-CLEAR-AIR-TIGHT-GLASS-JAR-stash-heavyweight-seal-/180752453783?pt=LH\_DefaultDomain\_0&hash=item2a15af9097

I’m afraid mason jars won’t do the trick, either, unless you fill them all the way to the top. The air left inside will slowly dry out the tobacco.

and how about a drop or two of water into the jar once in a while, as some of the pipe smokers do with the pipe tobacco jars?

In a schmalzler? I dunno.

here an example of a good snuffjar

another look If there is anything in the world more airtight than that, i have got absolutely no idea what could it be. And those jars are pretty small, so they can be easily placed inside any pocket.