WoS Jockey Club

And remember gillybean129 is a lady, and worked at t’ other mill.

Haha, well if it was originally targeted at female consumers it doesn’t matter to me, really. Even if Jockey Club was sold in a bright pink tin with a dancing bunny rabbit on the front, I still like it anyway! :wink:

I’m guessing that when some of these floral and heavy scented recipes were developed, it was a different era when sanitation and unpleasant odors were common. I could see the need for an odor masking snuff in the streets of 17th century cities or heavy livestock areas, etc… Daily bathing wasn’t always practiced either in the “good old days”. Or maybe people just really liked flowers.

Yes, Jockey Club by t’other Wilsons (or Jockey Club Perfume to give it its full name) was said to be a ladies snuff. Being male I found it ghastly. Anyway, this is what the blue booklet says: “A delicately scented snuff, the most popular of our scented range, particularly popular with the ladies. Smooth and satisfying, the flavour is controlled” J&H made some very good snuffs, but this wasn’t one of them. Can’t speak from experience, of course, but one imagines that the perfume was on a par with the acrid scent of some 1970s northern tart working the red-light district of Leeds.

Glad you said Leeds and not Sheffield…

Pmsl @PhillipS I guess it wasn’t your cup of tea then? Stefan

@PhillipS, I will swap my tin of Jockey Club for a medallion, so I can be tough and manly like you… :wink:

"I will swap my tin of Jockey Club for a medallion, so I can be tough and manly like you… " To be really manly and attract ladies like bees to honey requires more than one medallion. You need three at least - plus lots of chest hair, a gaudy silk shirt, flared trousers, fake tobacco juice tan, phoney Italian accent, scouser wig and tash, gucci shoes and a flair for the tango. It also helps if you call yourself something like Tony Mancini instead of Sloth. : )

ha Don’t forget to wear your snuff-stache proudly!

@PhilipS: As an American Anglophile-in-training, I’m familiar with the definition of a scouser, but could you please provide an example of a “scouser wig”? Much obliged. :wink:

Examples enclosed. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/\_AXhWXW1FFeA/S1uj7IFuBKI/AAAAAAAAFiI/CVjmIkEe6EM/s400/harryenfield\_scousers.jpg http://content8.flixster.com/question/59/30/19/5930190\_std.jpg

GH Jockey Club is quite different from WoS. Anyone who likes the Wilson’s should try the GH, all I can say is it’s a differnt scent, similar not the same, and really quite wonderful. It has a good burn to it and is long lasting.

WoS Jockey’s Club is lovely. A sharp, clean scent, which I would describe as highly perfumed rather than floral as it’s not really a flowery scent at all. My tastes mostly seem to be running to Samuel Gawith these days, but I have to say their Jockey Club, while good and with a less fine grind (which I prefer) isn’t as good as Wilson’s. Previously to discovering the joys of 6 Photo Kailash, WoS Jockey Club was my bedtime snuff, as I’m one of those people whose nose blocks up when it’s time to go to sleep (a darkness allergy, perhaps, lol), and JC kept it open and clear.

Wow, this thread, talk about a blast from the past! LoL

Wow, this thread, talk about a blast from the past! LoL

All informative stuff for new snuff users, Jack! :slight_smile: But worried about the sort of club all these highly perfumed jockeys might belong to, though…

But worried about the sort of club all these highly perfumed jockeys might belong to, though…

It’s a very fine, civilised club. More people should join it!

I agree, it’s a damn good snuff (IMHO).

Just dug into this one for the second time last night. Got a 5g in a sampler pack back this spring from Mr Snuff. I was completely turned off at the time and put it back in storage with the tape on. Going through my WoS again, and now having a much greater appreciation for them and the delicate differences between what at first seemed awfully similar snuffs, I’m really impressed by the Jockey Club. It’s of a similar vein as F&T(WoS’ premium brand)'s Seville or Macouba (neither of which I’ve really taken to yet). But in my humble and still-much-to-learn opinion of aromas my taste finds Jockey Club superior. There is a Strong abundance of aroma. Pushing the envelope in strength of smell. The composition of aromas I feel is well blended, not clashing. I find the scent very similar to premium brand soap. When I started snuff that description and enjoyment I thought would be an absurd combination :smiley: But I find it very pleasant and was thinking in bed last night that I’m going to enjoy the scents and subtle differences of scented soaps from here on, Ha! The grind I’m inclined to say is finer than most other WoS but the low moisture content could be at play. The aroma is bold upfront but softly shades into a long lasting subtlety, a contradiction I find in WoS Royal George too. It’s a really pleasant snuff. If you are open to floral snuffs it’s worth a try. And I’m enjoying the 5g tin not a 25g so it may be even better in that form. It makes me happy :slight_smile: I’ll regret it if I forget to add another tin to my next snuff order

@ar47 Sounds promising. I haven’t tried Macouba and WoS JC, but enjoyed Seville. F&T French Carotte doesn’t lack soapiness, too. It’s like a mix of Bordeaux and Seville, both colour and scent-wise. Grind and moisture is akin to Bordeaux.

I wonder what colour and grind is WoS Jockey Club? Same as Seville?

1 Like

Hey @volunge here’s a picture of the two, gently spooned out.  Card stock is white but the light is warm

20180907_101458

JC lacks the bright pungent “baby powder” component of Seville and the musky component of F&T Macouba.

They all smell to me a bit like a girl’s bathroom. Seville smells like a 7 month old’s bathroom. JC smells like a 37 year old’s bathroom.  Macouba smells like an 87 year old’s bathroom.  I’ll take the middle one thank you :smiley:

2 Likes