WoS Jockey Club

Due to this thread I ordered 10 gs from Mr Snuff with some other things. This is better when aired properly to yield its over the top scent. The forals, including some F&Ts seemed much more floral years ago I when I tried them, but this might be just anno domisnout.

The fanciful association between the Jockey Club and the snuff bearing the name is described by the perfumer A. Ellis in ‘Essence of Beauty’. The passage is quoted on page 43 of ‘Snuff Yesterday and Today’ by C.W Shepherd.

The other day I was in a hurry and forgot my various smashboxes when I left the house. Thankfully there was some Jockey Club and L260 in my desk draw at work. I mixed them together, 50:50. 'Twas unusual, but quite pleasant, and something I would actually repeat. I find both of them a bit overpowering when taken straight.

1 Like

@TheBoggart - That could certainly be an interesting mix, I’ll give that a go sometime. I’m fairly new to mixing (hence my thread a couple of months ago asking about it) but I like both Jockey Club and Hedges L260, so together they could form a nice nasal adventure or something. I’ve mixed Hedges with others but haven’t mixed JC with anything yet.

Am I wrong in suggesting that Poeschl’s Packard Club is their own version of Jockey Club - and hence akin to a 50:50 JC/L260 mixture?

Packard’s Club is more bergamot or lemon scented, and already mentholated. Jockey Club is very floral.

WoS Jockey Club is one of the few snuffs I’ve tried that really didn’t suit me. Yes, it’s abundantly floral, but there’s no harmony between the various ingredients – it’s one big discordant clash, IMO.

JC was always sold as a ‘ladies snuff’ it being perfumed and all that…

I could be mistaken, but I think you all were just called a bunch of sissies… :slight_smile:

No, not at all, just because the ladies preferred it…

And remember gillybean129 is a lady, and worked at t’ other mill.

Haha, well if it was originally targeted at female consumers it doesn’t matter to me, really. Even if Jockey Club was sold in a bright pink tin with a dancing bunny rabbit on the front, I still like it anyway! :wink:

I’m guessing that when some of these floral and heavy scented recipes were developed, it was a different era when sanitation and unpleasant odors were common. I could see the need for an odor masking snuff in the streets of 17th century cities or heavy livestock areas, etc… Daily bathing wasn’t always practiced either in the “good old days”. Or maybe people just really liked flowers.

Yes, Jockey Club by t’other Wilsons (or Jockey Club Perfume to give it its full name) was said to be a ladies snuff. Being male I found it ghastly. Anyway, this is what the blue booklet says: “A delicately scented snuff, the most popular of our scented range, particularly popular with the ladies. Smooth and satisfying, the flavour is controlled” J&H made some very good snuffs, but this wasn’t one of them. Can’t speak from experience, of course, but one imagines that the perfume was on a par with the acrid scent of some 1970s northern tart working the red-light district of Leeds.

Glad you said Leeds and not Sheffield…

Pmsl @PhillipS I guess it wasn’t your cup of tea then? Stefan

@PhillipS, I will swap my tin of Jockey Club for a medallion, so I can be tough and manly like you… :wink:

"I will swap my tin of Jockey Club for a medallion, so I can be tough and manly like you… " To be really manly and attract ladies like bees to honey requires more than one medallion. You need three at least - plus lots of chest hair, a gaudy silk shirt, flared trousers, fake tobacco juice tan, phoney Italian accent, scouser wig and tash, gucci shoes and a flair for the tango. It also helps if you call yourself something like Tony Mancini instead of Sloth. : )

ha Don’t forget to wear your snuff-stache proudly!

@PhilipS: As an American Anglophile-in-training, I’m familiar with the definition of a scouser, but could you please provide an example of a “scouser wig”? Much obliged. :wink: