The definitive snuff flavoring technique thread

@transistor Do they make any Latakia tobacco based snuffs that you know of? I would think that would be the “ultimate” in robust leathery scents.

@snuffnpuff Molens makes a latakia scented snuff (not made with latakia tobacco apparently)

@PikeMopers hmmmm… interesting, thanks.

wow! I forgot about this thread. Any pipe tobacco with Latakia makes wicked snuff no problems.

You might like the new toast range from Mr Snuff if you are into latakia.

@snuffster new toast range? by who?

@danw1988: For their SPs, WoS uses Zimbabwe Burley (flue and dark fired), so I think using a dark burley would be the place to start.

I’ve been using for that essential oils, and it’s very good. But what I’m not confident of is using synthetic oils. On one side - their aroma is stronger than of natural aetheric oils, and usualy the variety of tastes is a lot wider. But the big question - are they completely safe? Can’t they cause serious damage such as cancer?

After almost two years I certainly have some things to edit on my original post. Maybe sometime next year.   

I use Tom Buck for my base and then add whatever flavors I want to experiment with.

I have had my greatest successes with whole coffee beans and shreaded amber (sold as perfume at my local Indian store.) Shreaded amber melts at body temperature.

All the esoteric information is good but what I would like to know is what specific recipes people have tried at home that have worked for them. I have ordered some oil of bergamot and lemon and I am wondering if anyone has tried adding this to a plain scotch to make a simple homemade SP? If they have what amounts did they use and how did they add the essential oils? Just simple stuff that works for someone who doesn’t want to buy and grind his or her own tobacco or replicate a recipe from 1600s but wants to add some flavoring to store bought scotches. Any help and/or recipes would be appreciated. 

http://snuffhouse.org/discussion/5642/recipe-for-queens-snuff#Item\_14

"1 dram with 8 oz of fine Scotch snuff " 

Answer to below question… no I have never used essential oils myself.

I usually throw a vanilla bean in with my dry Scotch snuffs.

@Juxtaposer   You have used this recipe at home yourself?

I have a really good recipe for making a plain moist black rappee out of any Scotch snuff.

In a crock pot that is plugged in to a dimmer line for lower temperatures.

Cook at 50c-75c - 122f to 167f for five to seven days.

One part Scotch snuff to two parts water. For small batches use a ramekin to hold the snuff.

Stir once or twice a day adding water if necessary until the last day. It will be very soupy at first but not to worry the tobacco will absorb its own weight in water and the rest will cook off. 

The variables of time and temperature are for brown rappee to black. You can see on the fifth day what you have and continue according to your desired results. Jar air tight when desired moisture level is achieved preferably while cooling down but not necessarily so. Don’t worry too much about how it smells while cooking. After about a week in the jar let it air out a little then it should be ready to go.

Enjoy.

@ Juxtaposer Thanks I will save that. That is exactly the kind of recipe that interests me. Hopefully others will chime in with their personal tried and true recipes.

As for the queen’s snuff recipe I find it confusing. “Oil of lavender 2dr., essence of lemon 4dr., essence of bergamot 1 oz. : mix [1dr. with 8 oz of fine Scotch snuff constitutes Queen’s Snuff]” Do you mix the lavender, lemon and bergamot together and then use 1 dram of that mixture to combine with the scotch? 

Yes, that is correct. Whatever the scent mix may be.  Also note my answer to your first question above it in edit.

http://snuffhouse.org/discussion/1087/snuff-recipes

@ Juxtaposer Thanks for the info. Hopefully more people on here will pop up with their recipes.

@Juxtaposer I just bought some essential oils, lavender, bergamot and lemon, to attempt my own SP but I noticed after buying that even though they are 100 % essential oils they all say do not use internally. I then looked on a couple of sites and there are food grade oils that are made to be taken internally. Do you have any knowledge of the differences? Should I chuck the oils I bought and buy food grade for safety or does it matter at all? I assume you aren’t a doctor and that this is not medical advice so no liability for you, I was just interested in your opinion as you seem to have tried your own recipes. 

Check the list of ingredients in the oils. It may be something that will upset a stomach. If you are not comfortable having the oil itself in your snuff you can use the scents indirectly. That would be putting the snuff and the oil mix separately in the same closed environment. This would be the recommended method anyhow unless you intended to have an oiled snuff.

Doctor? I’ve never even stayed at a Holiday Inn.