Favorite SP!

McCrystals S’nuff has been my favorite…use some every day.

Tom Buck Gold Label Irish D.H. Toast #20 - I know it says toast, but it is more of a toasted SP, and it is one of the finest SP style snuffs for me. Please try this one if you have not had it. @gillybean129 - here we are debating the origin of the name of one of the most prevalent styles of snuff! The history is important!

Toque Original Superior Product.

PieterClaassen They are all good or ‘Superior’, in a certain sense - you’ve just mentioned another I must try. So that’s GH SP, Toque Original, SG Scotch SP and so on and…Ah yes McChrystal’s SP etc

SP100, Toque SP Extra, Toque Original in that order I love them all. I have SP100 in bulk and would like one of the Toque’s, but won’t buy it because they don’t come in tubs. Stefan

@whalen THAT’S the SP I wanted to try! You reminded me! I’ve been stumped for the longest time on which one I wanted to try…#20! @petersuki I think I said my favorites! I’ll list them again though: Tom buck is definitely FIRST and then a CLOSE SECOND is Grand Cairo. Snuff Head reminded me as well about Gold Label! I vacuumed the HELL out of that tin when I got it. It’s a GREAT SP but the best part about this one is the U.S. VIRGINIA Tab! It’s a dark, robust, and sharp SP that definitely lingers for awhile!

transistor I like both of those too. In fact I’ve taken a sniff of Tom Buck which confirms your good taste. I’d mention Gold Label, except that I have a hunch that it loses it’s EXCEPTIONAL tobacco taste quickly on airing. SP Best is a sort of Gold Standard of these sorts.

Well my advice, identify the “Exceptional” snuffs, and then get the biggest bulk amount you can, then decant some to a smaller airtight jar, and enjoy really exceptional snuff for a real long time! There is a premium experience to be had from super fresh bulk that just is so wonderful!

Whalen (I should say ‘Best SP’ not SP Best.) I’m going to try another tin of Gold Label. What I have is vg. Strangely this was the closest to a Havana wrapper taste I’ve got in a snuff, though it’s said to be made from American Virginia! What I’ve just tried is good but ‘no cigar’. I will try it to see if I can preserve that fine aroma I sensed once at the begining (worth its weight in gold). And see just how deadly any sort of air contact is to it.

@petersuki - There is sweetness to the Gold Label, I love the tasty tobacco base, I have pound of bulk, it is still heavenly. But if you want Havana wrapper, try the latest Fubar Grunt. The cigar in that one is great, and a taste I was looking for elsewhere and could not find. I thought the Brannif would have it, but they masked it with menthol, real smart that move. I do not get the cigar so much from Gold Label, I have a pinch in right now. That red tobacco sure is good! @transistor- The #20 is very much a constant companion of mine, my daily carry is a double Collins box, one side Grunt (original coconut) and Irish D.H. toast #20 in the other. What I carry is the greatest test of what I truly like! But it is cruel to chose between snuffs, they all have something special to offer.

I’d hafta say either WoS Silver or S.S. Tom Buck is right in there too…I usually make an SP mixture with a little Strasbourg thrown in for some ‘floral’ aroma.

Whalen. I agree with you. I’ ve just tried another careful sniff. It is excellent. It may be that when I sensed that Havana my nose was just in very good shape to sense more of the depth of this snuff. Lovely stuff. I now must try the Silver Label! It’s endless. Transitor: You are right. There is no point in naming the snuffs you don’t like. Others will enjoy them and they have the advantage of enjoying something I don’t. In any case, just when I have a pecking order, I taste something great in another another one. I have tried the Grunt but alas no coconut! I gather that this no longer features in this snuff

I tried the Gold Label again this morning. Lovely and tobacco-y. Does anyone have take on the comaprison between Silver and Gold label. This is not Tobacco Acquisition Disorder (TAD) it’s proper research!

SP “Silver” is a nickname for one called “SP Snuff” which is only sold in 25g tins with a silver label. Its just Best SP but with a finer grind. It has no relationship to Gold Label, other than that they are both SPs.

Xander -thanks as usual for the info. Do you have a favourite SP? I’m interested in trying McChrystal’s. Kind regards Peter

McChrystal’s is good. Very good. I don’t think I have a favorite. Their S’nuff is like an extra bergamot SP (like Tom Buck) and its quite good too. You’ve had the Tranter’s I presume, also good. I bounce around so often, that whichever one I’m into at the moment I think is fantastic. I have ruled out a few not to get again, WoS S.P. 2 leaps to mind as one, but there’s nothing wrong with it, I just like most everything else better.

I would like to try McC’s SP as well … I have found the McC’s tin taste to permeate the snuff, anyone else have this happen? And @Xander, I am with you, ruling out an SP or two from the long line of them from WoS helps - with Best SP being the one I will choose when re-ordering.

I finally got some McC’s SP to try, Excellent! Very much a Toque situation, the Sp and Sp Extra, is like McC’s SP and S’nuff. An extra dollop of bergamot. I personally like the stronger one, but not always. One thing about the Wilson’s is that it allows you to get a feel as to what different Grinds, Base Tobacco, levels of bergamot, and other tweaks can do to a snuff. It is a worthy and educational journey through the line. It is bewildering to have such a line of SP’s, but fun to see the subtle results from say just a finer grind. You get into silky nose feels and scent longevity. All kinds of effects,

@petersuki McChrystal’s is good. It’s actually a drier, fin SP.

Just ordered it (large tin), and Toque SP Extra (small tin) and GH SP 25 gs. Plus a couple of the German snuffs I haven’t tried.