OT - Ukulele beginners book

This guy John Kitakis makes outstanding instruments. High end, but you asked about the best and I’d venture to say these are it. I take guitars and mandolins to his store for setup and I love to browse the instruments. http://www.koolauukulele.com/

Rockoctopus - yes, they are one of the 4 top Hawaiian brands - superb

Ive got two good music stores near me so Im hopefully going to get one at the weekend.

Brilliant - check out my blog for tips on buying etc = www.gotaukulele.co.uk Can I ask which shops Snuffster - i may know them

PMT and Advance in Romford and Hornchurch respectively, and I am now the proud owner of a beautiful ‘Eastcoast’ Uke from PMT. It was £120 and the best of the several they had, ranging from £15. As playing guitar is a constant for me I opted for the best they had in stock and it really is a stunning little instrument; great body finish, perfect intonation, nice bridge and best of all a really decent set of machine heads. After I got used (partially) to the minute scale of the thing, and referred to the uke chord chart I got to orientate myself I was comfortably playing in about half an hour after a fashion. I play blues rock usually, using a strat/marshall, and its very different but fantastic fun, especially as I’ve not owned an accoustic instrument in about 20 years. One thing I found very quickly is how easy it is to work up a blues/jazz vibe; in its odd little way it just sings the 9ths and 7ths like a good guitar. I’ve kind of always meant to try one but never got round to it, so thanks for starting this thread!

Love the site, might have just missed it but I don’t see anything about the different sizes, soprano, concert etc. I guess mine is a Soprano due to the size (thats going on the out of context page no doubt) I’m getting a bit ‘uke happy’ now; these little chaps are clearly addictive. Its also strange running down scale onto a high G, but I like it!

brilliant - sounds great snuffster sizes page is at http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/04/ukulele-basics-sizes.html Though that is just beginner basics, and there are variations on those (such as sopranos with concert necks etc)

Well in all honesty you lit the lightbulb over my head on this one so cheers!!

What do you think of ‘eastcoast’ by the way (no offence will be taken if you think they are $£t!!)

I find the sapranos interesting, especially when played by a larger person. I remember seeing Israel Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole for the first time and laughing to myself…I didn’t laugh after I heard him play!!

Its a remarkably tiny scale after a full length guitar but after a few hours practice, believe it or not I was up til 4am, I’ve started to calm my fingers down and I’m getting some sweet note production. I really came into this by accident; saw the thread, mentioned it to my wife who got me the uke in her luchbreak and started playing. Weirdest way I’ve ever come to an instrument but I’m loving this more than playing electric. And some of the guys on the net are just amazing, so lots to learn.

Snuffster - in all honesty, I have not read about them, but just googled it. I presume you bought the US-100 model which says it has a solid wood top (nice!). For that money, you will have bought a uke that came from the same far east factory as Kala, Ohana, Mainland and many others - to be honest - they are all very similar, but with slightly different details. Will be decent beginner uke at that price. - certainly glad you avoided the cheap as chips ones!

@Bart - the sopranos are the traditional uke size, and many people will play nothing else. More common as the favourite in the UK, whereas in the US they (presently) Seem more taken with Tenors and Baritones (with the exception of Hawaii of course, where the soprano is still revered) I only play sopranos and concerts. Concerts dont differ too much from sops, very slightly larger body, longer neck (more frets) but sound very much the same. Tenors and Baritones start getting too close to guitar sound to my ears, for which I would prefer a guitar! Israel sure did play sweet.

Israel actually played a tenor uke, its just looked like a soprano! That was one big guy. He played a vintage Martin tenor strung low G.

I’m amazed by Jake Shimabukuro…that guy can play, and it’s pure joy to watch him. He is so passionate about his craft!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadUoaWkRW8

Yep Jake is amazing. I am usually a soprano (though I do like em all) player but still love seeing what some of the guys do on a tenor uke. James Hill is also really good, maybe better even than Jake??? Good to see you joined the ukulele fold Snuffster, enjoy it. I have been playing uke for about 5 years now and its bought me a lot of pleasure. I own 6 of them now and havent touched my guitars in years. Good thing too as I play uke a lot better than I play guitar.

Lol!! The ukulele was actually the first instument I ever played! My mom gave me a cheap brand one when i was about 6…I wanna say it was a Melody Maker or some such that she had gotten in college, this was around '79 '80 when i got it. I played it until I was around 10(nowhere even close to being as good as the guys I’ve seen on this forum). Sadly my lil uke got lost in a move and I haven’t touched one since. I’m Inspired now, and do believe i’m gonna save my pennies and purchase one, and hit it again!!

Good for you Fisch! get back to it, well worth it!

Thank you for the inspiration sir!! I’m stoked you started this thread…and I really enjoy your blog btw…nice work!!

Thanks Fisch - Anyone with any niggles or questions about the uke can contact me direct through the blog - http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/ Happy to help!