What snuff did you buy in your local store?

I can’t seem to find the Starr locally.

@ Mike B.: That’s Starr’s updated look. I have an unopenend vintage 1948 tin in my little collection. I’ll try to get a pic up in the next few days. Its actually “R. Starr & Co.” on the old tin, but the name is not as prominent as “Scotch Snuff 1st Quality.” It was owned by Helme even that far back. I have a feeing this is a very old brand. Sadly, this is one of the handful of scotches I’d like to be permanent members of my collection, but the only one that can’t be found locally. Maybe I can talk a shop into stocking it if they already carry some Helme/Swisher snuffs. I don’t think they mean Ringo and those other dudes.

I used to be able to get the non-schmalzler Pöschls, but I think that store is puling them once they run out. Aside from that, all I can get is Madras No 1. This is a three hour trip to make though. I usually just say screw it and order online.

I have never found Starr, or W.E. Garrett. Tons of Tube Rose.

I have never seen nasal snuff at any of the stores or tobacco shops here in Canada, either in the small towns near me, or in the big cities (I have looked in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal). I haven’t been to every shop of course, but I have visited big tobacconists, and none had nasal snuff. I believe that when I was a child (think early 70’s) in Edmonton, the local drugstore sold nasal snuff. It was likely to appease the many German immigrants living in my area (my parents were also German immigrants). In talking to my father, a significant number of German tradesmen back then used snuff, in addition to smoking a pipe. The people working at the German consulate in Edmonton at the time DEFINITELY used nasal snuff - my father reminded me that I actually saw the Consulate General taking snuff and asking him about it (when I was like 5 or something). That was a long time ago. So - nothing local. No online shops in Canada that I can find who sell snuff. I think shipping tobacco from province to province has been illegal in Canada for several years (like the provision in the new PACT thing in the US) so that really cuts down on online tobacconists. Regards, Geraldo

Just a few Poschls but that era is over.

Nada.

Most places in the UK don’t do a good selection, although you can come across the odd place that does. What we do have though is readily available J and H snuffs, most shops do the SP and 99.

Here in Dublin you can get McChrystal’s O&G, S’Nuff and Mild Lemon; Sam Gawith Kendal Brown Menthol, XX Menthol, Apricot and Aniseed; Wilsons SM. No Irish toasts, no SPs, no rappees etc. Sad state of affairs in a country, which was famous for its tobacco industry. Must be Perfidious Albion’s fault!

I would have thought that most of you across the pond can find the Toque available.

@ AllanH . i dont think there is a irish tobacco compamy left in ireland is there ? carrolls belongs to bat now i used to pick up a pack of carrolls extrasize the odd time ( kinda like a camel wide ) … maybe the peterson pipe tobacco is an irish company still ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll's . my local smoke shop has garretts . ozona spearmint and raspberry . 2 types of samuel gawith in the 10g tins with the old yellow labels ?

If I drove two hours, I could land some Garrett Sweet. They sell General Sample packs there, too, and Oliver Twists.

@jpsks Tobacco factories like Carrol’s and Gallaher’s are still here and produce cigarettes and pipe/smoking tobacco. Snuff and chewing tobacco are gone. Peterson’s and Fox’s of Dublin have their own pipe tobacco range.

Had the shock of my life yesterday when my friend who runs a local smoke shop stumbled upon some new old stock of Mc Chrystal’s in the red tap boxes. They were stored well and I got a few for free! No O&G unfortunately, but plenty of Clove, Highland Ice and Mild Lemon. Part of the reason, it seems, is that a few youngsters in my neighbourhood (I’m in my 40’s so 20somethings are kids to me.) have “discovered” Snuff.

WE Garrett, Levi Garrett, Dental mild, Red Seal sweet, Gawith Apricot, Packards Club, Gletscher Prise, Samuel Gawith cherry

Here in El Paso, Texas, tobacconists don’t know what is nasal snuff. Let me rephrase that: there are tobacco vendors here but no tobacconists.

A 1.15oz of Red Seal Sweet. I think that puts me up to 6 unopened cans and three partial- but i had to buy it b/c it was $3.15 and i am a horder of all things tobacco.

I can find a few Poschls at two or three local smoke shops, and some Ozona at at least one of those. Nothing special. If I drive into maryland (which I 15 minutes away from, until recently…now it would be a little bit longer) I could get a whole bunch of scotch and sweet snuffs and this one Food Lion. I actually went there once and got pretty much one of everything they had, except for their large tins. The woman at the counter had no idea what they were, and said they had been there since she started working there a few years ago. Ha. That was very exciting. ~Ken

Never seen Toque anywhere but online.

Speaking of Toque, I wonder how the FDA approval is going…