WoS Brunswick

“Irrelevancies”?! I don’t think so! Maybe to the outside world… Originally, according to various sources from the search, the eye snuff not only didn’t have tobacco, it wasn’t even sold as a tobacco snuff. It was just a different way of taking one’s medicine. The eyes do share a connection with the nose, don’t they? I wonder how it made the transition from a “remedy” to a snuff? I don’t know when “All About Snuff and Snuff Taking” was printed, but it gives both Wilson’s And Tranter’s as suppliers of Grimstone’s, as well as J&H Wilson producing twenty-six varieties of snuff (including the Illingworth’s and Rumney snuffs)! Now pardon me while this young lad (!) partakes of a hefty pinch of Grand Cairo.

When my left hand goes limp is when I stop taking my Blongaro! May God look upon me and stop me before it is too late.

Well, I was actually happy for Grand Cairo being a modern snuff but don’t mind heritage either. Actually everything from late 18th/early 19th Centuries is modern.

Brunswick is a great snuff and one I use as an all day snuff a lot of the time, along with what I regard as its sister snuff; Burgundy

I just noticed this thread again and it made me pull out my Brunswick and take a pinch. Great snuff!!

Fresh directly from Wilson’s mill… Friend’s if you think your current snuff lacks flavor, staying power or is generally lackluster and kind of just lies there like your old girlfriend, then you need to try WoS Brunswick. This is a wet, black, flowery, soapy, and leathery monster of a snuff.

I second NOmad’s description. All your posts here made me break down and crack open the tin of Brunswick I recently got from Wilson’s (I have a whole lot of other ones I haven’t tried still sitting here…). I like it. I wonder though if others had my trouble: my tin was downright WET (“moist” would be the understatement of the year). It certainly isn’t “sniffable” - I literally had to take a pinch and stick it in my nose and rub it around. Sort of like spreading mortar…except it hopefully doesn’t turn hard like cement. Nice long-lasting scent. No burn, which I appreciate. Of course, no chance of getting into my sinuses - my fingers are just too fat to shove anything THAT far up my nose… In some ways, this is an excellent beginner’s snuff, as it is pain-free and goof-proof. Try saying that about Dholakia Black or White, or any of the HDTs.

The tins do not compare to tubs when it’s fresh. Night and day.

So, cstokes, you are saying that the tubs are even WETTER than the tin I just got from Wilsons? Are you supposed to use a funnel and pour the slurry into your nose?

@cstokes4 I think mine must be the day version because like I said it is WET, BLACK, FLOWERY, SOAPY, and LEATHERY monster of a snuff. But then again I wasn’t asking for your approval as to container size and volume. Secondly and personally I would not buy a tub of snuff that I have never had before. Although I am happy for you and your tub.

@NOmad: Huh?

Huh? I missed something.

@Geraldo The problem with the tins is corrosion. Every tin of Princes and Brunswick I have purchased have been corroded rather badly. I think the tub is probably a tiny tad bit more moist, only due to the freshness of the snuff. The scent is much more pungent in tubs than tins, but once again that is just a product of the freshness.

@Whalen Me too!

I can not see what precipitated that response. My only problem with Brunswick is that I live precariously close to a small Hick town with that name, people see the tin, read the name, and crack up, usually saying " I am not going to sniff anything named Brunswick!!!" Old school snuff, a must have in the rotation.

Georgia?

Maryland.

@csstokes4, thanks for the insight. I haven’t noticed any corrosion yet, but it is still pretty new. I would have thought that tin-plated steel wouldn’t corrode from a bit of moist snuff. I guess I will just monitor the situation and hope for the best. I can move it into a little glass jar if necessary. Either way, I cannot imagine my Brunswick sample being any moister! It seems pretty fresh. I think it is that way because I just bought it direct from Wilson’s. I don’t know if I would buy a tub, but I will see how I feel about it after I finish the tin (25g, and I have so many OTHER snuffs). Heck, I haven’t even tried the other 20 odd snuffs I have from Wilson’s yet…including Mr. Stokes’ beloved Grand Cairo.

If it’s from Wilson’s, no doubt it is fresh, tin or tub. I have only purchased tins from retailers.

@Geraldo: If you plan on keeping it for a while (and with 20 odd other snuffs to go through it sounds like you do) I’d move it to an airtight container pronto. The freshness and moistness will dissipate fairly quickly in an opened Wilsons tin. And as cstokes4 says, the tins corrode fairly rapidly if they have moist snuff in.