Letter from Fred Stoker

Evidently, the family sold the business before Fred died. It is sad news…there’s a thread on it here somewheres , probably a couple pages back, Ibild.

I keep a pair of 3-d glasses by the computer for just these occassion, Mark …and my Decoder Ring

Lol. I have to squint and move my face closer to the screen… can’t be bothered.

@miamimark Try highlighting the text as if you were going to copy & paste it. brightens it up nicely in my browser.

Thanks for the tip K5btp. I guess I just don’t see the point of the colored text and wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

@miamimark same here, I hope it wasn’t important. Someone let me know if I missed anything.

Aaack! No offense ibild, but I’m with the majority here: that makes my eyes hurt! That’s a feature that should be disabled.

I was going for the Red White and Blue look since a Great American Tobacco Company has passed… However i didnt think people would be able to read the white; but the letters are white!!! you all must have fancy monitors cause I can see to read it with my poor man puter!!!

They has Stokers chew and dip at a local tobacco shop I went to last weekend.

The problem with the colored text is really not the color itself, but rather the dark background color of this forum. It makes for poor contrast and difficulty reading.

I use a laptop and by pushing the screen way back (open), I can easily read the colours .

Highlight the text and it shows up white. Dave

Just a note to all the folks who have ordered from Stokers direct. I called them today. They aren’t taking new customers and the nice lady told me that even though the date of closing up is in June, the snuff will no longer be available as of May 23. It was a very sad telephone call. I asked what she would be doing after they closed up. She said she’d be ‘pounding the pavement’. I could tell she was crying. She couldn’t believe it’s been 70 years and now all the sudden it’s over. Very sad call indeed, even though businesses close every day, these people didn’t do anything other than sell the wrong product ,I suppose. Well, can only hope something good comes out of it. Bart

Well, consolidation has been planned for years, seems that PACT was just the right time to implement it.

This is very sad - I’ve really enjoyed their chewing tobacco. Is it just the shop that is closing? Is the chewing tobacco going to be available still from places like Northerner? Excuse my ignorance - is the shop and production run by the same people?

From everything I have read, they are moving their production facility to Louisville, KY. That is where the purchasing company is located. This has been planned since 2004-2005.

@Roderick: Give them a ring. I’m sure you could work something out with the parent company.

I wonder where? I might want to apply for a job there.

Here’s a full profile: North Atlantic Trading Company is on the straight and narrow but it prefers its business path to incorporate plenty of Zig-Zags. Its North Atlantic Operating Company (NAOC), best known for its Zig-Zag brand of rolling papers, is a top importer and distributor of cigarette rolling papers in the US. NAOC also sells several styles of tobaccos, rolling machines, and accoutrements. North Atlantic Trading’s National Tobacco subsidiary is a leading maker of chewing tobacco in the US on the strength of its best-selling Beech-Nut chaw, as well as Havana Blossom, Trophy, Stoker, and others. Chairman Thomas F. Helms Jr. owns about 49% of North Atlantic Trading.

@Tom502 Ibold’s in Frankfurt I believe. Maybe somewhere close.Damn, that would be neat to work at Stokers. I’d consider moving south for that. Maybe a traveling/snuffing salesman…pushing Stokers on folks