DIY, info and feedback

So I have this growing supply and collection of flavors but would love to do customer mixes. Which grinder set up would be best? Which vendor for a sample or selection of loose whole leaf and types of tobacco. Scents or flavorings? oil based scents or even dry herbs would work well?

Essential Oils here: Snuff Gear

I have had this Dutch ryo for a good bit collecting dust and some american spirit. Into my bur grinder it went a small piece of cinnamon bark some rooster menthol plus and honey bee…45 Seconds later I am enjiying a custom bkend that it light easy to take, nice throat drip nd is kightly scented. BYT packs a mean nic wallop. so if pact scews me to badly and I have to resorting to diy then I will just be able to get my fix the old fashioned way with some good ole american git r dun.

@dredbull – thank you for this. I was just earlier today thinking about exactly how this could be accomplished in the event of Tobaccogeddon (as I call it), I also have NAS (most of a light blue can and all of a dark blue can) sitting around but I was thinking how costly this way would be to go for snuff (the cans cost $32 apiece around here) and I don’t know if the one place I go to get them (the only smokes/tobacco store locally where I know where its at and have been there), even sells snuff/rooster etc (I hope so. I plan to ask the next time I am in there since I already need to go back in there and get the Saturn look again when asking if they have czech tools and pipe nails.) (believe it or not I haven’t been back there enough to get around to asking, they already look at me like I’m from Saturn when I’ve tried to find out what snus they’ve had, which is very little and very overpriced, same for their one box of Stonewell Java, and when I have been in after the NAS cans).

Since no local shops have the oils, I went and got food grade vanilla pure and orange pure. Old clean snus can holds my kick ass dunhill scented snuff as my co worker calls it. Faint ginger, cinnamon, smokey dutch sweet scented snuff attempt. the can has a resevore cup now cut with holes and a coffee filter barrier. Seeing how this works out. SOrry for the smooshed typing having to do so at the sly. I think the base of the extract which is alchohol, I guess the air out since the vanilla and orange rocket the smokey dutch style shag and rooster to almost near painful smokieness.

ooooh! I actually have some food flavoring stuff just like that, including vanilla because I was going to start in on this big e-cigarette flavoring quest (so I had to get all really simple natural ones with no sugar or coloring etc since they were going to go into something that gets vaporized and inhaled) I don’t quite follow you with the can having a reservoir cup and holes and filter part just yet, what that’s for, but this all sounds very interesting I also found out today that there is a place near me that does sell nasal snuff (they have a website and there is a link there with an image that appears to have WE Garrett scotch,WE Sweet and Brutons plus some tap boxes I can’t make out)

used a snus can that has a spent portion top. i poked holees in it but think i got to much extract in it. was trying to scentt it not wet it…that failed but man its enjoyment.

Scenting your snuff. Tobacco readily absorbs smells, so scenting your snuff is very easy. I’ve “scented” snuff using essential oils. The easiest way I’ve found is to put a very small drop, (use a ‘miniscule’ amount as these oils are very concentrated!), of an essential oil on a Q-Tip and put that right into the snuff tin for 24hrs. Shake the tin occasionally to spread the scent. Since tobacco readily absorbs aroma, it is easy to ‘scent’ tobacco with anything that has an aroma. Flavoring agents range from floral and fruity, such as apricot, geranium, cinnamon, lemon, vanilla, mint, musk, aniseed, rose, sandalwood, tonquin and violet, to the medicinal, such as camphor, menthol, and eucalyptus. Other perfumes commonly used for dry snuff are bergamot, cloves, lavender, otto of roses, orange flowers and jasmin. Use these to scent your tobacco in the same way as mentioned above, adjusting the amount of scent as required.

OK this was my first attempt at an idea. The tobacco I had was very close to drum and I cannot find my virgina shag for the life of me so the smokey dutch drum style of ryo is very present. The slight fresh cinnamon and clove with a kiss of ginger from my grinder with a bit of awesome coffee grounds (like less than an 1/10 of a teaspoon added a nice robust nose… I added Rooster for the smokey and Honeybee for the sweet and then some pale shag RYO. SHOOK the hell out of it and ground it some more. The non snuffer thought the scent was ok but nothing to brag about. The snus dribble method of the vanilla extract and pure orange was a whim idea and got way more than I expected. I rushed this step but with amazing pleasant results. DEEP burly smoke scent the dutch and vanilla with rooster… almost a wet camp fire smell. the orange is making the cinnamon clove making it fresh and the slight menthol for the opening effect. Granted the extracts have alchohol and is drying nicely being an aromatic, I am going to place some orders of the essental oils. The blander and richer tobacco I would love to experiment with and build from that but is tough getting info where to buy. Would rather use the natural product not an altered one is all. I am not out for a profit but a project and possible info for those of us who enjoy snuffing a great deal that will be facing the hell of the gubernment. let alone a potential for a lost art. I would be willing to send samples to those brave souls and experienced nosed snuff masters willing to try this mad smokey vanilla orange creation. I offered up the same over on the ECF but no one yet is willing to try the beast.

I’m really not big on scented smuffs much, but through tips on threads like this one I’ve just revived both a tin of Toque Toast and Marmalade that was losing its orange (used LorAnn Orange Oil) and a Toque Grapefruit that had lost its grapefruit (using LorAnn Grapefruit Oil). I might like to try to recreate the Toque Xmas Pudding (or something like it) once the tin I have runs out. I’m not planning on scenting up a bunch of stuff, but I do have all these natural oils from when I was going to try to make flavored e-cigarette e-liquids (that never really quite panned out and so these have just sat unused in my fridge) and I’m going to take them all out and have a look and see what I have here. I have the following as LorAnne Oils (they all list only one ingredient and thats the listed flavor’s “oil”): Anise Oil (something seems to have gone strange with this one its solidified in there) Cinnomon OIl Clove OIl Grapefruit Oil Lemon OIl Lime OIl Orange Oil Peppermint Oil Spearmint Oil Then I have LorAnne “flavors” (they have Proplylen Glycol, artifical flavor, & alcohol, some have artificial colorings too) Cherry Creme De Menthe Grape Guava Pina Colada Pineapple Strawberry Tropical Punch Watermelon Wintergreen I also have Imitation Almond Extract Imitation Coconut Extract (wonder if I could re-coconut some FUBAR Grunt with this) Imitation Maple flavor Oranic Vanilla Extract

If the revised PACT is a gutless and spineless as it seems then I might just pick this up as a hobby to enjoy the mixing and creating aspect of it. I cook to unwind and Love sortin gout recipes as they rattle around my skull. I am still interested in the whole aspect and heritage side of snuff, the natural scents and just genius use of flavors.

nice info on this thread. With the Tobaccogeddon, as whistlrr calls it, looming, I think I see some DIY attempts in my future. Dred, I’ll send you a PM on ECF to try some of those homebrews

Does anyone here have any experience with successfully flavoring snuff with wine? It takes more than a wine-soaked Q-Tip, I learned that. It’s very easy to flavor snuff with liquor, but wine is a secret I just can’t seem to uncover. If you’ve had Toque Champagne, you know what I mean. How the hell did Roderick do that?? I’m looking to make a very bold snuff: my bag of Rustica leaves flavored with retsina. (Retsina is Greek wine fermented with pine resin, in case you don’t know.) I’ve read enough here about what to do with the rustica leaves (remove the stems and veins before grinding). My question is this: how the hell do I add the retsina to the ground snuff, and how do I get this snuff to be somewhat moist – about as moist as Toque Champagne is??

a drop or two of the wine right in the snuff works wonders.

I guess I need to increase the amount of wine, then. The problem I’ve found with adding liquor or wine directly to snuff is that the alcohol tends to dry the snuff out further. I love toasts and scotches, but I don’t want this particular snuff to be bone dry. I suppose that maybe adding a drop or two of distilled water may help keep things moist.

Pour about an inch of wine into the bottom of a large container with a sealable lid. Put the snuff in a small bowl, set inside the larger container and put the lid on. Leave it alone for about 4 days, then take the snuff out, stir it up, and check the aroma. If it’s not strong enough, repeat the process, after letting the snuff dry out if necessary. When the aroma is strong enough, sieve the snuff and transfer to another container. This can take up to a month or so with really delicate scents. If you’re really in a hurry, you can try this old method from South Africa: “Cameron added some details to my personal observations upon the making of snuff. When the native tobacco is rubbed to a powder, he informed me, the native women are fond of adding a little gin, making a paste, and allowing the gin to evaporate. The strength of the resultant snuff may be imagined. He added that when gin is not to be had a more easily obtained liquid is sometimes used.”

I sent out a bit that I had outside of my own use, I cannot wait to hear the feedback. Since having this rather large collection and a bunch that I have even portioned out to a few others it is nice to know that if something does come down the pipeline the ability to grind/mix and enjoy snuff will still be there.

What I would do for a wine scented snuff is add the wine directly to the bone dry base, then slowly bake out the excess moisture in a crock with the tin put in it. I have done this with a bourbon with most excellent results.

@Juxtaposer: Can you please explain in more detail the crock pot method? Which setting did you use (high or low) and for how long? I assume that you left the tin uncovered. Thanks.

Why not just reduce the wine down to a very concentrated amount, then add that to the snuff?