Doctors Knife

So I’m just asking, does anyone use or have a Doctors Knife? I have one currently and one on the way (See Photo)… These knives come in handy not only as the intended purpose, cutting things, but also as a pipe tamper (blunt end), but also as a bowl scraper (spatula blade)… Just recently I have also found that the spatula helps get a large or small supply of snuff from my tin/jar and I can get the desired amount to sniff…

I have a red single blade Case. I’ll try to post a picture of it later.

That is a fine knife. I carry a pen knife I inherited from my grandfather and the smaller pen sharpening blade works pretty well as an impromptu snuff spoon.

I often use my pipe tool as a snuff spoon. As for Knifes I prefer fixed blades. Cold Steel Peace keeper and SRK Knife.

I had a Case Doctor’s Knife that I used as a pipe tool, unfortunately, the Gremlins seem to have borrowed it and decided to keep it. One of these day’s I’ll get 2 to replace it.

I have not considered a doctors knife before but looking at the blades they would work rather well. Now I need to pick one up.

I have used a Brigham Horse Nail pipe tool. It has a perfectly sized little spoon end for snuffs, and it’s something I always have handy anyway, as the other end is a good tamper for the pipe. Best of all, it only costs a couple of dollars, much cheaper than many “snuff spoons” I’ve seen available online, which seem to be aimed at a more illicit market.

I use a Vic Minichamp which has a cuticle tool that is IMO shaped better than the spatula on the doctors knife. One these days I do want to get a good doctors knife though, they are nice little knives. Case and Queen still makes them but they can be a little pricey with the spatula blade on it. I think the China made Shrades have the spatula but the Rough Riders do not have it. They both can be had in the 20 buck range or lower.

Case and Queen still makes them but they can be a little pricey with the spatula blade on it. I think the China made Shrades have the spatula but the Rough Riders do not have it. They both can be had in the 20 buck range or lower.

@willc, Marbles also makes one with the spatula…

looks like the perfect knife for a pipe-smoking snuffer. Just ordered this one:

looks like the perfect knife for a pipe-smoking snuffer. Just ordered this one:

@mouse, You won’t be disappointed… That’s why I have two :slight_smile: I would like to have a Queen or Case, but $65-$85 is not possible right now…

bummer, the Case knife has been discontinued and the order was cancelled, so I ordered this one instead:

Hard to tell looking at the pic but this one might work better. The blade look like it has a rounded point. It might work well to ream a meer. with. Something I have been looking for as a reamer is just too aggressive.

I was looking at Case knives before I ordered my last Victorinox Swiss Army Knife but I never thought much about the Doctor’s Knife. I think I’ll get one now that you all have pointed them out, and they do look like a great knife for using as a tool for the pipe smoking snuffer :slight_smile: . I just checked ebay and saw a Case that was $60 that looked really nice, but like others have said that is probably a bit too much for me for now, so I will look at Marbles and China made Schrades as mentioned above.

bummer, the Case knife has been discontinued and the order was cancelled, so I ordered this one instead:

@Mouse, What brand is that one? I found a few Case’s on eBay… $65.00-$100.00 range… Ouch!

I was looking at Case knives before I ordered my last Victorinox Swiss Army Knife but I never thought much about the Doctor’s Knife. I think I’ll get one now that you all have pointed them out, and they do look like a great knife for using as a tool for the pipe smoking snuffer :slight_smile: . I just checked ebay and saw a Case that was $60 that looked really nice, but like others have said that is probably a bit too much for me for now, so I will look at Marbles and China made Schrades as mentioned above.

@md363… I also have a Marbles… I really like it…

@Mouse, What brand is that one? I found a few Case’s on eBay… $65.00-$100.00 range… Ouch!

heh, here’s some sticker shock for you, but they’re made in the good ole USA instead of China…I was told it would take 4-6 weeks to get it. Winchester Knives - Knife Center

What do you guys think of this one? I’m thinking of ordering it tomorrow, it’s made by Frost Cutlery and very affordable, less than $20.

Why is it called a “Doctor’s Knife”?

heh, here’s some sticker shock for you, but they’re made in the good ole USA instead of China…I was told it would take 4-6 weeks to get it. Winchester Knives - Knife Center

@mouse, DAMN… That is sweet!