Lest we forget: The Society of Snuff Grinders, Blenders and Purveyors

I found this video and I’m really curious. Can anyone tell us more, anything at all, about the now gone Society of Snuff Grinders, Blenders and Purveyors?

http://youtu.be/8BYRVjLdH6I Sorry about that. Maybe someone can figure out how to post this video. I guess I can’t!

@motobocks The link works just fine.

That’s a nice little video too bad it isn’t a little longer.

Cool video. I hadn’t seen that one before. @lunecat Do you have links?

They were a trade organisation based around the UK manufacturers and Vivien Rose, of Smiths snuff shop fame, was one of the luminaries. They produced a few pamphlets and booklets over the years. Their last publication was ‘All about snuff and snuff taking’ from around 1986 after which they became defunct. I have a small pamphlet by them with the wonderful title ‘Make friends with snuff, and with snuff make friends’. I don’t think they were a very long lived group - the style of the few things I’ve seen, plus the couple I own, suggest they were active from around the 60’s to no later than 1986. All very English and slightly dotty. I’m not sure exactly what they did apart from their modest amount of publishing although I did hear someone once say that he was their ex-press officer so probably they were involved in some press advertising. Like lots of London snuffers I bought snuff off Vivien Rose for years and he was a very nice chap, unfortunately it never occurred to me to ask about the society.

1 Like

Their Official Emblem…

1 Like