These 'artisan' snuffs are a scourge

Nobody seems to be talking about the regular snuff makers anymore. It’s all SWS, Abraxas and Old Mill (if that can be classed as artisan). I’m snuffing Wilson’s Lemon & Lime and it’s delicious, yet nobody is talking about it on here. I noticed Viking Spear uses EXACTLY the same scenting oil as Wilson’s Crumbs of Comfort but nobody talks about these manufacturers anymore. This site has lost its way. I know this won’t be a popular subject but where are the discussions of the major manufacturer’s new snuffs? People here are too focussed on artisan which means noone’s talking about major manufacturers. I even see people slagging off Wilson’s with no rebuttal. Its appalling. Happy snuffing!

I don’t see it that way, I discuss Toque, which happens to be one of my favorite brands, I only have discussed WoS and various others such as GH etc. I enjoy a selection of snuffs from quite a number of manufacturers. I also enjoy the “artisan” snuffs, of which Old mill is indeed a very good one, along with SWS, Abraxas etc. my point is, its a forum, a place to discuss YOUR snuff thoughts and passions, you can post about Wilsons Lemon and Lime, maybe write a small review and I am sure you will get many great comments. People are free to discuss which ever snuffs they wish… Personally I try as many different snuffs as I can , and post about those I enjoy… whatever the manufacturer of those may be, currently its Jocks Choice, not Artisan or expensive, but a dam fine snuff made by GH

I “slag off” brands like Wilson and Pöschl because I see flaws on them, MANY flaws (beginning with imperceptible tobacco base which repeats itself across many snuffs, going on with sneeziness, ending with batch variance). Wilson is still one of my main brands, specially the F&T line which I find far superior in quality to their regular line. My “attacks” are not (can’t be, actually) due to me being infatuated with any of the brands you mentioned: I’ve only tried Abraxas Dragün and, while I like it, it’s not one of my favorites. I don’t see any problem about people talking of these brands: I think it’s both due to a desire to help independent producers and the will to talk about new creations with the occasional input from the artist behind them. It has not been a problem to me when I liked to post about Indian or German snuffs that are currently my main thing, nobody has said to me “hey, shut up, those are industrial!”. If people decide not to join me in conversation, I won’t be so satisfied but it’s their decision, which I respect.

Well, a quick flick through the ‘Types of snuff’ should dispel the notion that no-one talks about anything but artisan snuff. Dholakia, Viking, Toque, Poschl. Try It! Discussions on all of them raging right now, as we speak.

I think it is great that we have a few artisan snuff makers and hope there will be many more in the future. It would be nice to see some more large makers too. Maybe GLP, MacBaren, or Mc Clellan’s may see a future in snuff and get into the game, the more the merrier.

Along with what @JakartaBoy‌ said, the “artisan” snuff makers have released some new snuffs(that are friggin awesome) and bound to spark some discussions on those alone. What I find “appalling” on these forums is the ever increasing hostility towards others opinions on snuff. I have said this before, but take a look at a top snuff post and a least favorite snuff post and notice the how many snuffs make both list. Forums trend, this month it’s the artisans, next we will be talking Toque all the time again, who knows. If you want to talk about other snuffs, than make a constructive post about one or revive an old post. Making a post bitching at what people want to talk about does nothing for this forum, talk of losing its way…

Fellows, I think the original post was tongue in cheek. Let’s talk about some snuff, shall we?

I agree with all of you. You’ve all made some valid points. It does get old hearing about Abraxas/SWS or Toque or whatever. Sometimes you want to talk about/read about your favorite snuff as opposed to the snuff du jour. But that’s the beauty of this forum. You can create your own topics, discuss what you want. A lot of the old snuff manufacturers have been around forever and thus talked about for just as long, the newer snuffs are newer and heralded because it brings new life to our hobby, even though they dare to charge their highway robbery prices. So feel free to get some topics going.

An interesting take on things from my usually quiet wife who just read the thread… "If there is a growing interest in Snuff these days, perhaps the traditional snuff producers who have sat on their laurels for all these years should sit up and take notice of the quality, freshness and batch variance being achieved by the smaller producers … I find it difficult to argue with her to be honest… :slight_smile:

I agree on some many levels with your wife @Derek_007‌ While it is a shame that many of us have forgotten about the lesser likes of snuff manufacturers, perhaps they should take notice. While I haven’t forgotten about my favorites, I find it hard to sometimes desire them when I pick up a tin of Old Mill and go to town. I know they have to be booming with new ideas. If someone fresh to the production scene like @chefdaniel can produce snuff the way Zeus produces lightning bolts, why can’t the veterans come up with something fresh and exciting?

Indeed, she may have an interesting point , there is a whole new snuff market out there these days, younger people with cash in their pocket who will spend it in what is best for them, not what as “traditional” perhaps? it is a new world for snuff with the smoking ban , something I feel @Roderick‌ at Toque has really got a grasp of with Toques range of flavours

I have a question for my fellow members regarding this thread, if you would please. Does calling artisan snuffs a “scourge” amount to a kind trolling? According to the dictionary, trolling is defined as “a posting on the Internet intended to provoke an indignant or irritated response in the reader.” Surely, this thread could have been titled in a way more conducive to discussion rather than a kind of attack or condemnation, saying literally that “‘artisan’ snuffs are a scourge.” Does that seem needlessly provocative to you? Once again, according to the dictionary a scourge is defined as “someone or something that causes a great amount of trouble or suffering.” I think it is safe to say that Johnny or Nigel or Daniel, or Roderick, or their snuffs, have not caused any suffering or great amount of trouble. Is the thread title and opening post of this thread an example of trolling? Whether it is trolling or not, the responses to it are highly impressive and another indicator of the high quality of character of Snuffhouse members in that no one has taken the bait and responded with heat or anger. And by the way, I would be willing bet that all or nearly all of the current “non-artisan” snuffs (WoS, SG, GH etc.) started out as artisan snuffs somewhere in the “way back when…” Don’t know the latter for sure but it is just a bet.

The thread does not breach any of the rules of the forum. If it does then the mod team will take the appropriate action. Simply because someone may have another opinion does not mean it’s trolling. If it descends into name calling, and deliberate provoking for a reaction then we will take action. Members have responded in the manner that we would normally expect here, proof that this is still a happy, civilised forum where we can all chat about snuff without resorting to name calling.

I don’t see it that way, I discuss Toque, which happens to be one of my favorite brands, I only have discussed WoS and various others such as GH etc. I enjoy a selection of snuffs from quite a number of manufacturers. I also enjoy the “artisan” snuffs, of which Old mill is indeed a very good one, along with SWS, Abraxas etc. my point is, its a forum, a place to discuss YOUR snuff thoughts and passions, you can post about Wilsons Lemon and Lime, maybe write a small review and I am sure you will get many great comments. People are free to discuss which ever snuffs they wish… Personally I try as many different snuffs as I can , and post about those I enjoy… whatever the manufacturer of those may be, currently its Jocks Choice, not Artisan or expensive, but a dam fine snuff made by GH

All I see these days are newbies posting about a subject they know very little about and with airs and graces. Perhaps you weren’t a member 4 years ago, when truly knowledgablke people were posting. Back then, we were trying to break down the composition of Royal George. Nowadays, nobody talks about Royal George. I just think Wilson’s gets very little respect on here nowadays, which is wrong.

Well, a quick flick through the ‘Types of snuff’ should dispel the notion that no-one talks about anything but artisan snuff. Dholakia, Viking, Toque, Poschl. Try It! Discussions on all of them raging right now, as we speak.

The main snuff makers do get mentioned, of course. But not like they used to, where each and every snuff gets properly analysed. Try and find a good thread on Toque, Ginger, you can’t. Try and find in depth threads of any of the main manufacturers new snuffs. You can’t. Snuffhouse had changed, and not for the better. Its all bleeding artisan now, which I have zero interest in.

@SnuffySnuff‌ if you want to start a discussion on toque ginger, or the new WoS snuffs, then please start a thread on them. Write a review and post it up to get conversation going about them. There is nothing stopping you from doing that.

I have a question for my fellow members regarding this thread, if you would please. Does calling artisan snuffs a “scourge” amount to a kind trolling? According to the dictionary, trolling is defined as “a posting on the Internet intended to provoke an indignant or irritated response in the reader.” Surely, this thread could have been titled in a way more conducive to discussion rather than a kind of attack or condemnation, saying literally that “‘artisan’ snuffs are a scourge.” Does that seem needlessly provocative to you? Once again, according to the dictionary a scourge is defined as “someone or something that causes a great amount of trouble or suffering.” I think it is safe to say that Johnny or Nigel or Daniel, or Roderick, or their snuffs, have not caused any suffering or great amount of trouble. Is the thread title and opening post of this thread an example of trolling? Whether it is trolling or not, the responses to it are highly impressive and another indicator of the high quality of character of Snuffhouse members in that no one has taken the bait and responded with heat or anger. And by the way, I would be willing bet that all or nearly all of the current “non-artisan” snuffs (WoS, SG, GH etc.) started out as artisan snuffs somewhere in the “way back when…” Don’t know the latter for sure but it is just a bet.

I truly wish I were trolling rather than highlighting how the snuff scene had changed in just 4 years. Full of gobby newbies who know f*ck all. But being the newbie you are, having little knowledge, its easy for you to scream troll, rather than understand my point.

what a newb. J.K. it’s always been like that the snuff du jour for dicussing. First o.g. then spanish jewel then toque then indian then on and on it goes

and all my friends drink micro brew oh no

@SnuffySnuff‌ if you want to start a discussion on toque ginger, or the new WoS snuffs, then please start a thread on them. Write a review and post it up to get conversation going about them. There is nothing stopping you from doing that.

Hi skell, I could and have been tempted, but why bother? Nobody here is interested if it’s not artisan. If anyone wants to be pendantic, of course I don’t mean ‘nobody’ literally, I mean ‘nobody’ as in there’s very little interest in the main makers of snuff on here, and that is what has changed about snuffhouse.