Review: Wilsons of Sharrow Dynamite

I can handle some menthol. I know that. But I enjoy a good tobacco flavour too. I have put the Dynamite off for a while. Not because I heard anything about the flavour or menthol, but because I try to avoid party snuffs. Without knowing anything about it, “Dynamite” immediately fell into that category for me. That’s what happens when you give it that kind of name. Imagine how long it took me to try the “Guarana Boost”. But that is another review. It was part of an assorted box and I know I wouldn’t have ordered it on it’s own because of my preferences. From what I read in reviews, I am not the type for the likes of Hedges or McChrystal’s O&G. I got around to it after some time. It’s there, so I try it. None of the Wilsons left a lasting impression on me so far, quite the opposite. But I’m happy to try it. I’ve tried this a few times now so here is my review. The snuff presents itself well in the tin. Soft, fine and a reddish-brown. But as soon as I try to smell it in the tin, I already know what’s happening. I smell menthol. Seriously. There is a light tobacco scent and I’d be surprised and concerned if there wasn’t, but it’s indeed light. When I take a pinch, I have exactly the things happening that I expect. There is a strong menthol burn and I can breathe freely. That doesn’t last. Menthol makes the insides of my nose swell up. The Dynamite has this other quality which means that I spend the next ten minutes after my pinch blowing my nose. Good thing I have the roll of kitchen paper towels handy. I don’t taste any tobacco. Give it half an hour, my nose has calmed down and the tobacco smell is actually there. Of course it’s the soapy, dusty, stale Wilsons of Sharrow flavour that I generally dislike but this one isn’t bad. I suppose the tobacco is a better quality than the light yellow brown snuffs I’ve tried before. In fact, just looking at the open tin, I would assign a pretty decent quality to it. However, when I add everything up, I don’t like it. I wouldn’t buy it again. This is the snuff that pranks or dares are made of, but I’m not 16 anymore. I know that some people can’t get enough of menthol and this snuff is absolutely all the way up there. But for myself this is not a great experience. My nose is running and clogged up at the same time (which is possible, surprisingly), the tobacco flavour doesn’t come out until after a good half hour of discomfort…I’m not a fan. But I can imagine that it may enhance other Wilsons snuffs which are a bit bland, such as Rum & Blackberry. I might try a little mix experiment. But just to end on a positive note, if you are a passionate menthol snuff user who likes English types of snuff, this is a must try.

I think WoS Dynamite it a great solid menthol/camphor snuff. I find it unique enough to have a regular rotation in my menthol stable. Mine is from when it first came out so it may have mellowed a little and strength wise I find it about the same as Red Bull and a tad weaker than L260. The base tobacco is good also. This is a fine snuff aside from the tacky name. Also it is a very good mixer when used sparingly.

1 Like

I’m currently rotating WoS… Dynamite, SM 500, Super Menthol and Poschi Red bull. And still trying to make up my mind which I prefer *Super menthol is just that with a heavy tobacco base and I enjoy it. *SM 500 is my all day snuff with a strong light crisp clean menthol and you can detect the tobacco too *Red Bull has a lasting menthol with a complex tobacco flavour? *Dynamite is “do you want menthol up your nose?” and if you do you can have it. But I can’t detect the tobacco through the menthol, but its strong and enjoyable a few pinches a day. (And yes the name is tacky and even the product isn’t usual of wilsons)

1 Like

I have still a gift pack of Wilsons lying around with this Dynamite. I wouldn’t puchase it separatly. The more I use De Kralingse snuffs - my favourite brand - the less I prefer Wilsons and McChrystals. Next menthol snuff on my wishlist is therefore Mentholin by the Kralingse. I read it has a coffee, orris root and menthol scent, a combination that you don’t expect but I’m sure I’m gonna love that one. I also detect, as being a long-time tobacco user, that the quality of the tobacco of Wilsons is not that good as De Kralingse. They perform real tobacco craftmanship.

I have still a gift pack of Wilsons lying around with this Dynamite. I wouldn’t puchase it separatly. The more I use De Kralingse snuffs - my favourite brand - the less I prefer Wilsons and McChrystals. Next menthol snuff on my wishlist is therefore Mentholin by the Kralingse. I read it has a coffee, orris root and menthol scent, a combination that you don’t expect but I’m sure I’m gonna love that one. I also detect, as being a long-time tobacco user, that the quality of the tobacco of Wilsons is not that good as De Kralingse. They perform real tobacco craftmanship.

I’m very new to snuff after quitting 20 years of smoking, there’s so much to choose from and De Kralingse is on the list to try.

I just got a tin of it and wow- I really like it. I will see if the feeling lasts when I empty the tin, but I suspect it will be going onto the standard order list.

Late update to this thread, but, I just opened a 25gm tin of this and I feel obligated to voice my opinion. Contrary to the initial post, I find the base tobacco very similar to Brunswick, or Best Dark. It’s dark, almost black, and amid the tobacco I see very small black bits. I can’t be sure, but it looks like little clumps of a different tobacco. I find it to be very different than any other menthol made by Wilson’s. It’s a lot more moist, and not sneezy at all. But, everyone’s nose is different. As noted, the tobacco scent is far behind the menthol, but I still can discern it. I really enjoy this snuff, and always have an extra, unopened tin in my stash.

I use Dynamite when I have a cold, which is what I assume most people use it for

2 Likes

I just tried this yesterday. If you like menthol a lot this is for you.  There’s some sweet lemon scent, too, but mainly it’s nose-chilling menthol. I detect pretty much no tobacco until the menthol starts to wear off after a few minutes.  The only other WoS menthol I’ve tried is Aniseed and I like it much better than Dynamite.

https://youtu.be/CdE0M318n64

@tboyer I found it didn’t help much with a cold.

@mrmanos I think those black clumps are just from this being such a moist snuff, and it was very sneezy for me, this time.

1 Like

I have a 5g tin of Dynamite on order. My favourite menthol, so far, is WoS Bee Cool. The menthol fades into almost a buckwheat honey and tobacco. SM is okay.

1 Like

@ArgentOrangeOK Dynamite and Bee Cool are not that dissimilar. Dynamite is super mentholated and only a hint of sweetness.

I found the sweetness to bee too much for continued use on Bee Cool

To me it sounds like a way of covering up a shirt based tobacco similar to how IPA makes a bad beer good. IMO a good smelling women dose not need perfume.

Just got the Dynamite. Not what I expected. The menthol wasn’t at all what I’d call overpowering- it was nice and hung out with me for a bit. It was WAY more moist than I expected- about like Best Dark, but it didn’t turn my nose into a snot faucet. And there was some spicy scent- camphor, I think, that eventually faded into tobacco. Also, the tin wasn’t packed to the point of spilling like every other WoS I’ve gotten. From what others have noted, I almost think I may have gotten a mislabelled tin. If I did, I’d really love to know what it was.

@ArgentOrangeOK The moisture content sounds right, but I didn’t get camphor and the menthol is the strongest that I’ve had.

How would you compare it to other menthols? If you think it is weaker than No 99 or hedges, then I think something is wrong with your tin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRStoObOLis&list=PLv2M3GCi5Jx0iuTllmUZbjXis\_8ikm43N&index=25

1 Like

Hahaha! Sounds like you’re having a bit of trouble in that video. I’ve had neither 99 nor hedges, but I’d almost say Wilson’s Bee Cool or SM are more strongly mentholated. Maybe I’ve snuffed greater quantities at once due to their lower moisture content or maybe my nose is more acclimated to menthol now.

@ArgentOrangeOK  Dynamite is for sure more mentholated that Bee Cool. Might be that your tin is stale. 

1 Like

I’d not previously tried this due to my devotion to L260 and the, for me, off-putting name.  However, on a trip to Durham this weekend, I spotted it in a delightful little tobacconist’s in the market hall and decided to give it a try.  I’m enormously glad that I did so.  Very dark and moist, it’s unlike any medicated snuff I’ve ever tried.  I can certainly pick up the flavours of a delicious base tobacco - does anybody know if it’s the same as is used in Best Dark?  If so, I need to put in a big order.  

Just had a few extra-generous pinches of WoS Dynamite Date code 002 18A from MrSnuff. Base is low moisture (almost dry), dark with medium-fine grind and lots of pebbles. Tin half full and an extra gooey (the adhesive, not corrosion soup) and a bit crooked tape job. I suspect this one got pretty hot in transport at some point to MrSnuff (maybe in the warehouse move?). Other reports of moist base don’t match mine, but @mrmanos is right on with the pebbles and almost-black dark base. Looks like gunpowder a bit, so becoming of the name. That all said … medication is top tier, not as painful as Radford in the nose but the eventual drip (probably from having so much, was dry to start) burns the skin like only Hedges does for me. My favorite application of dark (blackish) wilsons base to date. Obviously this much medication up front is hard to contend with but after 5 minutes the base is bold and spicy. I’d like to see what a fresher, larger tin is like. Certainly something to have in the stable for the medicated lovers. Woke me right up!