Suggestions for a pleasant summertime smoke.

I live in a very hot very humid area. I find that many of the snuffs I enjoy during the winter I do not enjoy nearly as much in the summer and vice versa. I figured it might be the same way for pipe tobacco. I’ve only tried a few decent tobaccos: Dunhill NightCap, Escudo Navy De Luxe and Royal Yacht (which I gave away because I didn’t like Royal Yacht at all). I’ve ordered a tin of Orlik Golden Flake. Any other suggestions? I’m not a big aromatic fan, but I’ll consider them. I think for summer I might prefer a lighter smoke. Thank you for your time and responses.

Samuel Gawith Grousemoor - a very light mixture from the Lakelands. It is naturally aromatic but in no way resembles a full on heavy Lakeland such as Ennerdale. Nor does it bear any resemblance to the Grousemoor snuff. The pipe tobacco is the aroma of a Spring day whereas the snuff is a wet Autumn day.

I prefer straight or lightly topped Virginias in the heat. Orlik is good, MacBaren #1, McClelland 5100, pretty much any light Virginia, the heavier stoved and dark Virginias are a tad to much. Grousemoor is a good choice anytime. :wink:

Dunhill Light Flake. I’ve got tons if you need some.

@Nietzsche_Keen Sounds like you’re beyond good and evil here? (Sorry, couldn’t resist it! :wink: ) Think that I’m in agree with @bigmick here Virginia’s seem the way to go. My suggestions are both Petersons: Sherlock is a very old school matured Virginia with the light nuttiness of burley, I don’t believe that this is cased, though it had a very pleasant(light ly honey, vanilla) room note; very nice on a sunny day. The other is Irish Oak, which is likewise a good one. I suppose you could go the other way with some perique (hey… Hot and humid in Louisiana). J.F Germains do a very good perique and Virginia flake, Dunhill Elizabethan is also a lovely smoke and different from the classic ‘English’ type blends like 965, London, Nigtcap etc. Good luck, hope you find something that suits you :slight_smile:

McClelland Grand Orientals (the full line is perfect for summer), Ilsted Virginia Plug , W.O. Larsen Signature, Erinmore, Capstan(both) Peterson Sörensen Blue Sapphire, SG Full Virginia Flake, SG Sams Flake, Solani Aged Burley Flake - Blend 656 All Great for summer, some of them for the day some for the night, goes well with cold drinks, before or after dinner? :wink:

Pardon my ignorance. I do like VaPers and I think I might like Virginias, but I worry that a Virginia heavy tobacco will taste like cigarettes. My early days of smoking cheap pipe tobacco have ruined me and I’m having to relearn everything. Someone else has recommended Irish Oak as well. I will have to put in an order for that. I’m making a run to the tobacco store today, the closest of which is an hour away. They have a fairly limited selection of pipe tobacco though as they are mostly a cigar and pipe store. Thank you all for the suggestions. I will put in an order for a few of them. I’m still new, so I haven’t tried much of anything yet. At the store today I plan to get 4th Generation 1931 and University Flake; I’ve been meaning to try the later for a while now. Maybe you guys can help me pick out a few from the stores inventory?

You need the advice of some of the American pipe smokers and posters here. I can’t offer much as a lot of this we don’t get in the UK; McCelland’s etc. University Flake is nice, but it is cased (flavoured/scented) with plum. These look to be largely aromatics on the inventory link. Personally I would give the Black Russian a go [if it’s a pipe tobacco] Peter Stokkebye Oriental Mixture is respectable and would probably be something different for you to try today… :slight_smile:

Cool thanks. Yeah, I am not really into the aromatics that much, but I’ve honestly only experienced the cheap nasty ones. I’m still open to trying a good one.

Lane BCA,(Midnight) is a good aro. The two GL Pease blends are great, but contain Latakia. The Sutliff blends have some fans, I like a few, would love them at half the standard price. Just let the guys at the Tinderbox know what you are looking for. My experience with several TB stores would indicate the guys know their business and can point you in the right direction. On a side note I have found very few pipe tobaccos that remind me of cigs. The ones that do were all Burley forward blends.

I like smoking Balkan blends like Presbyterian or London Mixture on hot summer days.

SG Squadron Leader is pretty good for this time of year, or Golden Glow.

Ave Maria. Best cigar I have had so far. Forgot we were not talking about cigars but, I stand by it anyways. Ashton’s Winding Road is pretty good.

Maybe try an e-pipe? If you get a flavour juice that you like (and there’s bound to be one) then it’s actually nicer than smoking, well it proved to be so for me and ever more others. I have sat with a beer, in one hand my regular cigar and a nice tobacco blend e-cig in the other, testing both and the result was e-cig wins and that did surprise me greatly but was enough to get me to quit smoking. What was the point of smoking any longer if the e-cig tasted better? This generic tobacco e-cig I’m using is actually very nice all year round. I do prefer snuff when it’s cooler which is most of the year but at the moment I’m using SWS Fields of Juniper a lot more as it seems to suit this great weather we’re having. Light and refreshing.

http://www.marscigars.com/brebbia-allegro.aspx

that is a great summer blend. Really hits the spot. Though definatly let it dry out a bit before smoking it. I think it’s best when it’s really dry almost disicated.

I’m afraid I’ve somewhat neglected my pipes since I took up snuffing in earnest, but good old Carter Hall (preferably in a cob) is a pretty nice, light and trouble-free smoke (plus you can get it anywhere in the US). Dunhill Flake is very nice, if you don’t mind putting up with a few re-lights. I like it as well as Capstan (Blue and Gold) and it considerably less expensive. The Squadron Leader is a good suggestion if you like Lat (and it is by no means a Lat-bomb). For some reason I prefer Lat blends in the winter, but YMMV. Personally, I didn’t think much of the Grousemoor and traded my tin–the flavor was just too odd.

I would suggest McClelland’s Drama Reserve as the ideal summer blend. It has no latakia (which some people dislike in summer) but plenty of the oriental Drama tobacco which is very light and has a unique natural sweetness. The Drama leaf mixes extremely well with the red Virginia tobaccos that are a sizable part of the blend. The Virginias add some body and a natural sweetness of their own that complements the Drama beautifully. Drama Reserve, for me, is the best summer blend currently available. I also recommend Full Virginia Flake by SG, and GLP Union Square. If you want a latakia blend for summer, I would suggest McClelland’s Wilderness. But then, that would be expected, I blended the stuff to my own taste. Of course I would like it! And please be aware, in the interest of full disclosure concerning Wilderness, that I do get a small kick back from McClelland for sales of the Wilderness and Legends blends. But if I didn’t personally think they were good I would not ever recommend them–believe it or not. BTW, I agree with you @Nietzsche_Keen. I don’t like Royal Yacht either.

Id suggest Borkum Riff in the summer, clan in the winter. Just my strange preferrence.

Pardon my ignorance. I do like VaPers and I think I might like Virginias, but I worry that a Virginia heavy tobacco will taste like cigarettes.

I share the same concern about Virginias @Nietzsche_Keen. But it may help to know that I have found that the Virginias that taste like cigarettes, as a general rule, are those that are lighter in color. They also tend to burn very hot, I have found. I prefer, by far, the dark Virginias, at least a medium red color or preferably darker brown and/or black. These are deeper in flavor as well, and have more complexity and richness. These types of Virginias do not need perique for added flavor but do well with it in any case. Just my opinion. One also needs to be aware that when smoking medium and lighter colored Virginia blends, if they have a high sugar content the sugar will make them tend to smoke hot. Excess heat makes tobacco impossible to taste and so one must learn to puff slowly and evenly so that the temperature of the burning tobacco does not overwhelm the taste buds when the hot smoke hits the tongue. If you cannot taste the tobacco then there will be little or no enjoyment no matter how great the blend might be. Once again, just my view. Excess heat is the enemy of the pipe smoker. And pipe smoking skill and enjoyment has much to do with controlling the heat level of the burning tobacco. Once again, just my perspective.