Which Scotch should I start with?

I’m copying this over from the Introductions thread, so hopefully more people will see it. @Medieval_Barber asks:

Hello, I am new to the forum, I am a former Cigarette smoker, who now uses a electronic cigarette, and occasionally smokes a pipe. The two things that got me researching about snuff where from the health aspect of it and the historical aspect of snuff. I have a question though, I live in the States and the snuff they sell is the oral snuff is that the same thing as nasal snuff?

We have already established that scotches can be used nasally, and @Medieval_Barber says

These are the brands that are at the supermarket. Navy

Can anybody help him out regarding which ones are more beginner-friendly and/or have stronger flavours?

My educated guess is Tuberose or, Honey bee. @Southern_Snuffster seems to know a bit about American scotchs. In my area they don’t sell any as far as I know. Just Poschl. I thought I saw W.E. Garret but, it was Chew. So I know nothing about scotchs just, read some.

I have read tuberose smells nothing like roses.

I took a look at the list from the Mars Cigars link in the first post. I’ve had all and then some with exception to the Society and Rooster. When it comes to the American varieties of snuff, it is difficult to say what is more beginner friendly as they all are so fine and dry. Working on your technique is everything if you are new to taking snuff. One tip I will provide that worked for me when I started was to take larger pinches/boxcars with controlled sniffs. Too small and the fine grind will end up in the back of your throat. It seems counterintuitive, but it works. Some notes on the varieties listed in the link (and some not)… Honey Bee: Very sweet, doesn’t have the smoky/BBQ prevalence like so many American Scotches at all. I personally find this one easy to take and has an enjoyable throat drip. If you have a sweet tooth, you will enjoy this one. Buttercup: Similar to the above, just a tad less sweet and there is an underlying scent unique to this snuff I can’t quite put my finger on. Sweet as a Peach: Much less sweet than the above two. Has a very very mellow smokiness. Don’t go into this one thinking it smells like peaches, because it doesn’t. It is easy to take and has an enjoyable drip with just a hint of sweetness. If you don’t like uber-sweetness (like the above two), this is a great sweet scotch to choose. Tube Rose: This is a nice, dark snuff with woody/earthy tones. While there is a smokiness, it isn’t the overbearing grilling out back BBQ scent so prevalent in most Scotches. If you don’t like this one at first, come back to it when you get better versed in snuff as you may just find out your tastes have changed to liking it. Railroad Mills and Navy: These two are very similar in flavor… almost to the point of being indistinguishable. Typical American Scotch smokiness… if you like BBQ, these are for you. Their sweet varieties are on the lower level of sweet (when compared to the Honeybee, Buttercup, Sweet as a Peach). While my first tin was a Navy Sweet, I have found others to be more enjoyable and I don’t frequent these much anymore. Dental: This one was not on the list. Both the plain and sweet varieties are mellow in my opinion and are easy to take. Nothing to necessarily write home about, but a decent entry into the American Scotch world for a beginner. Tops: This one was not on the list and isn’t talked about much, but is decent. I’ve only ever had the sweet as a plain (if made) eludes me. It is less sweet than Honeybee, but certainly sweet in its own right. It does have some smokiness in the background and sets itself apart from other sweets in a manner I find myself partaking in it every few days. Bruton: This is a strong flavored and high nic hit snuff. If you begin on this, you better be prepared to blow your nose. Once mastered, it is a good time but definitely not a everyday snuff for me nor a beginner snuff. Carhart’s Choice: A dark snuff that to me is heavy handed with what seems to be cocoa. Either you like it or not. For me, I have no need for sniffing straight powdered cocoa. Shame really. If they toned it back and let the tobacco shine through some more it could potentially be rather enjoyable. Garrett: This is a stronger snuff, but not as brutal as Bruton. Whether it be the plain or sweet, I like the way the tobacco and smokiness work together versus the Navy or Railroad Mills. I wouldn’t classify it as a beginner snuff, but rather one that any fan of American Scotches must try at least once. (Update: If you come across any in the cardboard tubes that have been well kept/stored, it mellows very nicely is quite enjoyable to the palate.) Three Thistles: I’ve had the sweet, but haven’t come across the plain in my travels. In my opinion, this one is kind of a cross between Dental and Railroad Mills. I would certainly choose this over the Navy/Railroad Mills, but still is only an occasional pinch. Wild Cherry: This is an interesting one as out of the tin it smells like dark bitter smoky cherries. In the nose it first hits with a scotch smokiness, then the cherry scent (more like a true black cherry than sweet/candy cherry scent), then it tends to alternate back and forth. Definitely low on the scale of sweetness. My suggestion, try a few pinches as the cherry doesn’t necessarily come through with the first snuff. Very intriguing. Ultimately, these are just my quick thoughts. I say buy a few tins and start sampling away. You’ll find the one that suits your tastes soon enough and very likely come back to ones you dismissed previously with a new found appreciation.

@Southern_Snuffster‌: Great Job! I have access to large tubs of Tops Mild, which used to be Tops Dry I think. About $15 USD plus shipping cost. Just let me know.

From the ones in the list I’d go with Honey Bee or RR Mills plain for a beginner. RR Mills isn’t as smokey as Rooster–it has smoke, but unlike Rooster or Bruton it also has a mild cocoa smell.

@chefdaniel‌ Thanks and I’ll definitely keep that in mind as only the 1.15 oz tins are available in my area. I’ve never come across any brand in the larger tubs unfortunately.

Tube Rose is scented with Tuberosa, but isn’t really floral, it’s got s slightly malty scent to it, quite different to other scotches I’ve had. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polianthes\_tuberosa Honey Bee is very much the scent of honey, nice, long lasting scent, reminds me of honey biscuits I use to have as a child. I did originally mis-type it as Hiney Bee, which would have a different scent altogether. :))

I have read tuberose smells nothing like roses.

that is cause tube roses aren;t roses.

I did originally mis-type it as Hiney Bee, which would have a different scent altogether. :))

Haven’t had that Scotch! LOL Care to elaborate on how that is in the nose?! :slight_smile: Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that!

I am “cutting my teeth” so to speak on American Scotches - Tube Rose , (Sweet as a ) Peach and RailRoad Mill Plain. I have looked all over for a can of Wild Cherry ( by Swisher maybe?) - I know I saw it around here as a kid - but cannot find it now. Also - am i crazy, but is there no mentol or mint American style dry snuffs? IF not, is there a close approximation suggested one to try made elsewhere that i can find on Mr. Snuff ?

Becoming increasingly interested in these American Scotches while I’m waiting for my Swisher Square to turn up from MS. They just seem so … American. I’ve never been to the US, but I’ve got a mild fascination with American culture and Americana. I used to hunt out pipes by some of the less well known American artisan pipe makers, like Malaga, a few others. How come the Scotches aren’t more popular with the American members of snuffhouse? How come you guys go to all the trouble to order from across the pond when you could get the local product at your corner store?

@Jakartaboy I have a couple of theories: primarily geography; American Scotches are most readily available in the region of the United States roughly known as ‘Southern Appalachia’ which has the distinction of being the least densely populated, economically challenged and its citizens are unfairly thought of as “unsophisticated” (look up the term ‘Hillbilly’ for more information on the subject). Second as the demand for Scotches is low the stock in most stores is old and thus not as vibrant as the snuffs ordered from overseas. Finally, in my experience the subtlety of the aroma nuances in Scotches are hard to discern for the neophyte snuffer as Scotches are so fine in grind that they require a degree of experience with snuffing which serves as a deterrent for further exploration. @The_HP Railroad Mills’ Checkerberry is aromatized with checkerberries (surprise) which bears a strong resemblance to wintergreen.

American Scotches became a bit an obsession for me a few months back; I have around 25 or so in my collection now, some new some vintage. I personally find some of the ‘sweet’ varieties too sickly for nasal use; Lorrillard in particular. Of the selection mentioned by @The_HP I reckon Tube Rose is the finest to my palate. It seems to me to have the perfect balance of sweetness, smokiness and the subtle fragrance of the tube rose marries these together beautifully. @Ivan makes some good points regarding stock, several of the ones I’ve collected are without barcodes or heath warnings on the packaging; suggesting that they are manufactured sometime before the mid 1970’s (oddly age doesn’t seem to effect the scent much). Menthol/mint doesn’t seem to be utilised at all in the American styles with the notable exception of Checkerberry as @Ivan has said.

@Ivan, I’m very interested to see what I think. After Dholakia White and HDT, am I going to end up saying “Meh. Not THAT fine and/or strong”. Or am I going to say “Woo. Not to be underestimated”? Time will tell.

“Hiney Bee” brings a whole new meaning to terms like “Toffee Nose”, “Nose Mud” and several others that I’m laughing too hard to remember. @Southern_Snuffster‌ strikes again.

Well, I stopped at 3 groceries and 2 gas stations, and while I found several Scotches, none had the Checkerberry , or Cherry for that matter. I did grab me a can of Honey Bee. Got a little ride going on some now as a matter of fact. First impressions are good - real good.

From the Mars page (above): “Due to the ‘PACT’ law, we can no longer mail or sell nasal snuff containing tobacco over the internet. We are permitted to sell non-tobacco snuff” Boooooooo. You can still buy from lilbrown and if anyone knows any others please PM me tnx.

Well, I stopped at 3 groceries and 2 gas stations, and while I found several Scotches, none had the Checkerberry , or Cherry for that matter. I did grab me a can of Honey Bee. Got a little ride going on some now as a matter of fact. First impressions are good - real good.

I’ve yet to come across checkerberry in the wild, I am holding off from purchasing online until I do. The cherry, while yet to be found locally and was traded with a fellow member, is one worth sampling. Definitely give it some time as firs timpressions may be mixed. After acclimating to it, you’ll find it really enjoyable. In fact, been a while since I had a pinch… Might have to have some now. :slight_smile:

Since that post I have received some Checkerberry, and found it agreeable. I am also waiting on an order that includes Cherry, Strawberry and Dixie among others. Edit: I thought I had ordered Dixie, by my Mr. Snuff history says otherwise … hmm …