Does light affect snuff?

Despite snuffing for a few years now, I just bought my first large amount (75g of Toque Christmas Pudding, hell yeah), and I put it all into a glass mason jar, as I usually have those around for storing tea. Now I know that tea will degrade in light. Does snuff do that as well? Should I be keeping it in a dark place, or can I leave it to display awesomely on my desk?

I kept a 200g mason jar of 6 Photo natural on top of my the refrigerator for a few months with no ill effects if that helps.

I am not claiming this as a definitive answer but… I’d be worried about sunlight. I wouldn’t be worried about indoor lighting. I store my bulk snuff in mason jars, and all that have not been snuffed over a 4 year storage have been fine. They’re exposed to room lighting, but not direct sunlight. That said, Wilsons of Sharrow recommends the refrigerator. I don’t follow their recommendation for fear of cross contamination from stuff gone bad.

@FireMarth Light degrades all things. Put it in a cupboard and worry no more.

I keep my bulk in the cellar. There is some natural light there, but no direct sunlight. Electric lights don’t worry me, but UV (mostly from sunlight) penetrates glass. It skunks beer (even in brown glass) and wine and fades comic books and baseball cards and collectible artwork (don’t hang where sun shines for long periods). It warps wood and cracks and destroys finishes of fine furniture that sit in windows. Why take a chance with your snuff. Like any commodity you choose to invest in, you need to protect it.

Not being funny but anyone leaving snuff in direct sunlight shouldn’t really be snuffing…

I keep mine airtight, and in a controlled environment involving my cupboard. If I place them anywhere else, I electric tape the tin covers, ziplock them, then put them in my freezer.

I seem to remember Roderick saying somewhere that air and light are enemies of snuff freshness, or words to that effect.

Enemies of snuff: Air, light and heat. Same as for beer.