Help needed in book project

As many of you know, and a few will know now, I’m trying to write a book about the history of snuff in Poland. I’ve almost gattered all the thing I could about that in the Polish book - though XVII-XX century - and I think I’ll be able to finish it this year. If any of you guys will find anything about Polish snuff factories, Polish emigatants taking snuff in your country - let me know. It will surely help me in my project.

2 Likes

As to Polish immigrants to the US, you have seen the threads on Goike’s Kashubian that I posted a couple years ago? There were some newspaper articles linked in there.

Yes, I remember that thread. Seems I’ll stick with Detroid (Goike, Wolff, Scotten and Dillon) and Chicago (Groya) for more informations.

Filek, in case you were interested in some help, I could help with typesetting/design or something connected with book production (fine typography is a must!).

Thank you, but first of all I need to finish writing. So far I’ve managed to finish three chapters, icluding: “Famous snuff takers in anecdotes”, “Snuff jokes” and “Crimes involving snuff”. I’m hoping to finish three more as well, like “Snuff in literature”.

@Filek, if you’re doing an English version, I’d be happy to be an editor/proofreader.

Unfortunately I’m only planning a Polish version. There shouldn’t be much trouble in translating the text into English off course, expect the poems and a bunch of old quotes, but I wouldn’t like to be in the skin of the translator when it comes to those.

I’m curious. Does anyone know, were Gebr. Bernard the only ones to make snuff in Offenbach?

Any Hungarian here, who could tell me how the thing with having a tobacco factory looked like in about 1817? I’ve found a Pole that had a factory in Pest, but I’m not quite sure what to think about that. Lengyel, Magyar – két jó barát, együtt harcol, s issza borát!

Does anyone know this particular ilustration. I would like to know who is the original author.

2 Likes

How is your book, Filek? Will you publish it this year? I will definitely buy it.

I wasn’t in the mood for any snuff related topic for the past years, so I haven’t done much in the terms of writing. But I did not gave up the idea of writing a book, since I already have around 100 pages of text and with a bit of systematic work, I should be able to finish this year. At least I hope so.

1 Like

It took me longer than it should have, but I finally managed to write about 200 pages of text (not including illustrations) - thus ending the long adventure of writing a book about snuff in Poland. Now the worse part, i.e. preparing the publication for printing and creating a cover - which will be a bigger nightmare, because I have absolutely no knowledge of it. But at least I wrote a book!

5 Likes

@Filek Maybe I could help you with your cover. If you have something on mind, message me and I think I can make it for you!

3 Likes