Ammonia from a fresh tin..

Anyone else find that if a tin smells of amonia, even just a little, the taste is muted to a great degree?

Iā€™ve only experienced this with Taxi Red, but Iā€™ve never put the snuff in my mouth so canā€™t say if it affects the taste or not. I find the ammonia pleasant in a fresh can of Taxi Red. Itā€™s a sign of freshness! What snuff are you talking about in particular @nosemboss ?

By taste of course I ment when its taken. Iā€™ve noticed this with those subtly perfumed snuffs, Recently opened FoJā€“that one especiallyā€¦but Iā€™m unsure with others like O&G and Wlsons #20

I personally donā€™t notice Ammonia but the guy at work smell it every time I let him sample new snuff. The only one I had was the taxi that was strong enough for me.I was a long time smoker so that may have something to do with it.

My dad thinks that nearly every snuff I have smells like nothing but ā€œcat-pissā€. I definitely get strong ammonia on some snuffs but a bit of airing always fixes it up. This Dholakia White Iā€™ve been working on has actually started to smell more of ammonia as Iā€™ve gotten deeper into it, I guess there was some ammonia ā€œtrapped inā€ under the snuff on top. Good thing about D White is I can leave it to air for a few hours without worrying about anything being lost in the process - I donā€™t think itā€™s possible for it to become drier than it is.

It happens, Iā€™ve noticed it most with Toque and WoS, I will usually leave the tin open to air out for like an hour, usually does the trick. Also leaving it for a few days or a week with the tin closed after its been aired out, the flavour will come out and ammonia will fade. I seem to find the nicotine is most noticed when the snuff is very fresh, but maybe thatā€™s just all in my head.

You will know if your tin has some ammonia if you try to take a sniff and instead of the flavor, you get a warm numbing sensation. Flours that are tightly packed are particularly susceptible. I always loosen the flour, air it out for a bit, and give it a couple days before using.

I get that out of a new tin of my F&T Santo Domingo. I put it (and several others) into a mason jar and after a day it sorts itself out.

I havenā€™t noticed ammonia on most, but fresh fresh snuff will have an ammonia smell. Toque in particular reeks of cat piss when new, so I air the stuff out for a couple of hours and that gets rid of the stink.

In my experience ammonia is caused by really fresh tobacco, which is good. Just air it out for a bit. Iā€™ve only experienced this in ntsu and sg kb.

I kind of like the ammonia to a certain degree. Too much can be off putting, but a hint of it adds a little tang or bite to a pinch.

I always thought of ammonia as one of the things that make the South African snuffs stand out!

I personally like the amonia freshness and would not air it away and am a little sad even when it has gradually naturally dissapeared but I never got any in my tins of FOJ so pehaps itā€™s the juniper you are mistaking for amonia? FOJ is still amongst my very favourite snuffs. Dholakia White I like to mix with other toasts to add strength to those and add flavour to the Dholakia White. Works wonderfully.

I lurve the ammonia smell of fresh, or well-stored, snuff. Itā€™s to snuff what turkey smell is to the holidays.

I always notice the smell of ammonia coming from a lot of newly opened fresh snuff tins. Especially Toque snuffs. So when I get a new order of snuff, Iā€™ll basically open up every tin, set them out on my table, and let them all air out for a couple of hours. Some might people might claim it would dry the snuff out or such, but it hasnā€™t been a problem for me, and it usually works to let all the ammonia out. It really can ruin a snuff experience to be expecting a beautiful sent and instead have your nose filled with the overbearing stench of ammonia.

ammonia=fresh

Does that mean the new Dell laptops that reek of cat pee are just ā€˜freshā€™? lol

1 Like

Hey, may I sneak in a newbie question here? Why is there ammonia in snuff in the first place?

Itā€™s produced by fermentation. Fermentation makes the tobacco milder, traditionally youā€™d stack huge piles of leaves up and let them ferment off their own warmth.

Oh! Well, that explains that!