Old Paris

This reminds me of an old, traditional snuff. (which it is) Rich flavor although not over powering or cloying. Yes, I get the fermented date flavor (arrack?) and it is quite nice, unique. Good tobacco balance and lasting scent. Probably needs no description as I see it in most peoples collection. O.P. ages nicely and I would suggest keeping some for long term storage.

Moving this here so I will receive notifications. This discussion continued from : http://snuffhouse.org/discussion/5835/grand-difference-in-grand-cairo#latest @Xander Well, we are definitely not on the same page concerning Old Paris. At least the older style. No way that I could compare it with Spanish Gem. Just sampled the batch sent from Wilsons and it reminds me of an SP or perhaps Morlaix. Remember OP as having quite a heavy flavour of dates which are not detected in the current formula. Have it on good authority that the supplier of Arrack was changed a couple years ago so this may explain the discrepancy. Would like input from @PhilipS @Abraxas and @Johnny on this topic. Again, for reference the description from Wilsons site: This blend, a favourite of Beau Brummel, has the strange wine-like quality of maturing during storage. This rich, full-bodied snuff, dark in colour and coarse in texture, is ideal for the moderate user who enjoys an occasional satisfying pinch.

As memory serves, the OP that the original Fribourg’s made was dark and coarse and the closest snuff to it I’ve ever come across is Johnny’s Creme De Figue. Not tried the WOS era OP but maybe the Wilsons’ description is a lift from one of Fribourg’s old leaflets? It has that ring about it. Johnny’s the man for anything on the original snuffs though.

Some might describe the WoS version as coarse, maybe that’s part of the problem? It’s coarse compared to a toast but fine compared to a rappee. Just a medium grind. I think I’ve only had the Wilsons era one but it definitely keeps me happy.

@Abraxas @horus92 No, I have only had the WoS version. About 8 years old. Purchased from Martin McGahey before the PACT thing. Had some stashed in original tin and it was wonderful. (yes, I went off snuff for a few years) Would describe it as closer to a rappee than toast for sure. (having some SG Black Rappee just now) Seems I will have to order Creme de Figue for the true experience. Shame as the F&T/ WoS was a most excellent snuff. Still use the WoS Princes and that is the same.

The Old Paris I picked up a couple months ago is certainly not course. I’d give it a medium at most Curious to hear if there’s been further analysis/ headway in comparing what once was to what we have now. If SWS Cream de Figue is an accurate replica I will have to do a personal study of my own :slight_smile: 50G from MrSnuff should be arriving any day now I recall reading in another thread where someone had a stash of FnT from tens of years ago and they insisted the aromas of those old samples were different and in their opinion superior to the current FnT’s. My understanding though from correspondence with Johnny is that natural flavorings have a short shelf life. If the FnTs of mid 20th century still have aroma, were they then using artificial additives? IF so that would imply then a change in recipe between the time of “Beau Brummel” and the mid 20th. There’s a silly romanticism of manufactured nostalgia but yes I want to sniff the snuff Lord Byron was ordering from FnT all those years ago. But we may just have to be our own trend setters :slight_smile: